PDA

View Full Version : Fuel usage indicator going backwards on 745i???

sliceman
07-31-2010, 09:58 PM
Hi,
New to this forum but have been following the excellent threads for around 4 months now after buying my 2002 745i. After playing around with "checking my instrument cluster version and unlocking" using the milage reset button, somehow I have made the fuel usage indicator go into reverse. When you give it gas, it goes down, when you let off, it goes up. No idea what I have done to do this, it may be unrelated, but was wondering if someone on this forum could help. Thanks in advance, Jim

GeorgeT
08-01-2010, 06:56 AM
I'm not sure what you mean:

If you are referring to the fuel guage, when you accelerate, fuel moves away from the sensor and the guage will show less than actual; when you let off, fuel moves to the sensor and the guage will show more than is actually present.

If you are referring to the "miles-to-empty" readout; when you accelerate the computer sees a lot of fuel being used per distance traveled and the resulting display will show fewer miles until empty; when you let off the accelerator you are using very little fuel and the computer will recalculate more miles to empty tan actual.

hotrod2448
08-01-2010, 08:25 AM
Hi,
New to this forum but have been following the excellent threads for around 4 months now after buying my 2002 745i. After playing around with "checking my instrument cluster version and unlocking" using the milage reset button, somehow I have made the fuel usage indicator go into reverse. When you give it gas, it goes down, when you let off, it goes up. No idea what I have done to do this, it may be unrelated, but was wondering if someone on this forum could help. Thanks in advance, Jim

I'm not sure if it's just how you are wording it or what but it sounds like it's working properly to me. When you give it gas the bar shrinks closer to 0 (moving toward the right I believe), when you let off it the bar fills up to 99 (moving left). Right?

Mr_Burger
08-01-2010, 11:24 AM
If you are talking about he MPG indicator, then it should decrease on acceleration and vice versa.
If you are talking about the fuel guage however, it should show full when you refuel (to the max) and decrease as you drive.

If anything else is happening, you've done something wrong or it's faulty s/w.. :)

sliceman
08-01-2010, 01:11 PM
It's the MPG indicator. It increases when you decelerate and decreases when you accelerate.

sliceman
08-01-2010, 01:16 PM
It's the mpg indicator. It is currently showing you are using less fuel when accelerating and visa versa when decelerating.

sliceman
08-02-2010, 12:21 AM
OK, worked out what I have done. Somehow I have changed the display from l/100km to km/l. Australian remember, so in metric. So before when it was litres per 100km, the gage would go down when you backed off. Now, because it is kilometres per litre, it goes up in the opposite direction. Now, how do I change it back?

sliceman
08-02-2010, 02:08 AM
All fixed, went into BC in iDrive and has the option of one or the other. Thanks for the responses.