PDA

View Full Version : 03 745i Tranny fluid change ordeal

u2spyplane
08-02-2010, 05:44 PM
Well I wanted to share my experience on my first ever 2003 745LI transmission Oil Change (no pan and filter)

Step 1) went to Pelicanparts.com to buy qty (6) $17/liters versus paying $50/liter at dealer

Step 2) removed pan covering tranny plug and drained oil into exactly 4 liter container

step 3) look desperately for 1/2 hr trying to find the dip stick so I can refill fluid but much to my surprise - there isn't one. hence, "lifetime fluid" does not require oil change which is BS

step 4) looked online for tranny oil refill port hole but couldn't find it. Called dealer after 1/2hr wait and ask "...where in the hell do you put the new oil in?" He stated "...it's located just above the drain hole on one of the sides of the tranny"

step 5) removed refill port hole located on the tranny side and it was factory torqued to 1 million damn F'in Lbs/sq in. has to use an extension on my rachet while lieing underneath my car that was propped up on rhino ramps onthe front end tires. jammed my knuckles on a upwarde motion as it released spontaneously.

step 6) got my dad's suction pump with 12in transparent plastic hose to suck out 1 liter at a time and pump it into the port hole

step 7) i only managed to put in 2 liters out of the 4 i took out before it spewed all over my arm and onto my Dad's driveway ( he was pissed)

step 8) brought car off ramps and put on ramp on side of port hole (passenger's side) and jacked up the back end too. car is leaning at 15 to 20 degree incline with both tires in air so I can fit more fluid. put in another liter before it spewed again. dropped a couple of "F" bombs

step 9) put plug back in and road the car around the block twice to get fluid mixed in the tranny parts and make room for more. one more liter to go!!!

step 10) put car back on its side and managed to put in 1/4 of a liter.

step 11) put plug back in and drain cover too. Done! took me 3.5 hrs to do this and saved myself $500.

WTF? How is it that I took out 4 liters and can only put in 3.25? Why did the delaer guy tell me it takes 6 liters after I told him I'm not draing the torque converter - just the tranny fluid?

patshah
08-02-2010, 07:21 PM
WOW!!!! I would have rather spent $500 bucks instead of going through that sheeiitt.....

Now you need to go and find out why it took in less fluid before you do some damage.

GeorgeT
08-03-2010, 06:50 AM
I learned a long time ago to always remove the fill port plug before draining the transmission, differential etc. if you drain it and can't refill it, you're in deep s**t.

Judd944
08-03-2010, 09:56 AM
You did not do the procedure correctly. someone wrote up a good process. I will find it and put a link up.

Judd944
08-03-2010, 09:59 AM
If u want to change the tranny fluid this is how: I did it myself. put car up on ramps or jack
stand and level car. remove protection plate covering tranny pan. remove drain plug and drain fluid about 6 to 7 qts. To fill with new fluid , plug is on the pass side of tranny near the back about 3" up . You can fill about 3 qts with engine off the rest with car running and tranny temp at about 115 degrees .you will need a clear 1/2 hose about 4ft. long with a funnel in it . Here's the hard part with 2 people 1 pouring fluid in funnel and 1 under car holding it in fill plug hole. It will take the tranny fluid 1 qt. at a time until it starts to run back out the fill hole, then put the plug back in fast. have a rag handy and your done.
I used CASTROL MULTI-IMPORT TRANSMISSION FLUID at $6 a qt. If you try to use 1 of those suction pumps that looks like a grease gun it will be a huge mess trust me , this was the best way i found. I changed my fluid at 60K miles on my 06 750li and it looked like i did an oil change GOOD LUCK Dealer cost i bet $300 - $500

link with good info:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=429646&highlight=transmission+pan

USALEXUSBMW750
08-03-2010, 12:42 PM
Well I wanted to share my experience on my first ever 2003 745LI transmission Oil Change (no pan and filter)

Step 1) went to Pelicanparts.com to buy qty (6) $17/liters versus paying $50/liter at dealer

Step 2) removed pan covering tranny plug and drained oil into exactly 4 liter container

step 3) look desperately for 1/2 hr trying to find the dip stick so I can refill fluid but much to my surprise - there isn't one. hence, "lifetime fluid" does not require oil change which is BS

step 4) looked online for tranny oil refill port hole but couldn't find it. Called dealer after 1/2hr wait and ask "...where in the hell do you put the new oil in?" He stated "...it's located just above the drain hole on one of the sides of the tranny"

step 5) removed refill port hole located on the tranny side and it was factory torqued to 1 million damn F'in Lbs/sq in. has to use an extension on my rachet while lieing underneath my car that was propped up on rhino ramps onthe front end tires. jammed my knuckles on a upwarde motion as it released spontaneously.

step 6) got my dad's suction pump with 12in transparent plastic hose to suck out 1 liter at a time and pump it into the port hole

step 7) i only managed to put in 2 liters out of the 4 i took out before it spewed all over my arm and onto my Dad's driveway ( he was pissed)

step 8) brought car off ramps and put on ramp on side of port hole (passenger's side) and jacked up the back end too. car is leaning at 15 to 20 degree incline with both tires in air so I can fit more fluid. put in another liter before it spewed again. dropped a couple of "F" bombs

step 9) put plug back in and road the car around the block twice to get fluid mixed in the tranny parts and make room for more. one more liter to go!!!

step 10) put car back on its side and managed to put in 1/4 of a liter.

step 11) put plug back in and drain cover too. Done! took me 3.5 hrs to do this and saved myself $500.

WTF? How is it that I took out 4 liters and can only put in 3.25? Why did the delaer guy tell me it takes 6 liters after I told him I'm not draing the torque converter - just the tranny fluid?

First of all you did almost everything wrong, if you never change transmission fluid on cars without dip stick you shouldn't do it in the first
1. you have to change your filter once you change fluid POINT.
2. Once you dump all fluid fron the transmission you have to close bottom bolt and open top plug.
3. fill the top as much as you will see its going out, then!!!!dont close it just start your engine and fill all the way till it start come out little, than close it and you good to go

Maverick62
08-03-2010, 04:37 PM
that was my post, and it works fine. Changing your fluid isn't that hard $5 a qt. x 6 .and your labor. dealer wants $500 bucks. good luck to those with some skills and not afraid
to get a little dirty:thumbup:

Keif
08-03-2010, 08:58 PM
Agree with the guys... After initial fill, run through all gears (drive around the block or something), let the car cool to dead cold (overnight or something), then start the car and fill like a mad man, as fast as possible -- you'll get a solid 3 more quarts in before it comes out with the engine running, which is good, because by that point even with a good transmission fluid pump you'll be burning yourself as you screw back in the fill plug.

This is by FAR my absolute least favorite thing to do on this car. If you choose to do it yourself, be prepared to get a bunch of fluid everywhere (definitely on yourself) and get burned a few times. It sucks, but it's well worth the savings.

saleengt
10-10-2010, 06:56 PM
okay..thanks to all you guys for great advice...used the castrol multi import fluid seems to work great..I did the pan also since your doing the work might as well change the pan since its a filter also..you can clean it....correct me if im wrong it looked that way but i just went new..also I got a brand new pan shipped from rockauto.com for 120..if you call your local tranny shop they usually have wholesalers who they call and get parts even cheaper..my local guy had it for $89..also call a few tranny shops to do the work my shop did it for $75 they removed the pan drained the fluid and filled it up...its super easy with a lift..all i bought was pan and fluid from autozone. it did get rid of the 2-1 shift issue. I would also recommend doing it every 50k since that is not any special fluid.

cruizer26
02-05-2014, 01:26 PM
I bought a new to me 2003 745li with 150k miles, and decided to change the transmission filter/pan and fluid because it had like a shudder when stopped at a light and I figured that will that mileage it needed it. I removed the tranny pan cover and I noticed the tranny looked practically new. I called BMW North America and they directed me to the right dealer for service information. It turns out that the tranny was replaced at 100k, but I still wanted to change the filter/fluid. I bought an oem pan/filter from ebay for $100, which you have to make sure that the filter says either 30% or 33% (this is critical because the Pentosin has a higher viscosity rating which needs to be able to circulate through the filter and not starve the transmission, as I found out the hard way with my 01 E38 (you'll hear rattling and whining coming from the tranny when driving at startup). 2x 5-liter Pentosin ATF 1 fluid at $64 each, also from ebay (I only used about 8) I was worried about the atf because it was not listed as a fluid I could use, but it said that the pentosin atf 1 fluid met the shell m1375.4 specs. so I used it. In order to remove the old fluid, which by the way, it looked like it had the ZF Lifeguard 6 and it looked (normal color is like light maple syrup) in great shape other than a bit cloudy, I disconnected the fluid lines on the driver's side on the tranny with a 13mm socket (be careful not to lose the O-rings), and attached a clear hose to the line that has VK (Vom Kuhler- From Radiator) on the tranny and into the dirty oil pan, and pressed in with a wrench and the firewall the other line which says ZK (Zum Kuhler - to radiator). Make sure to keep a good amount of pressure on this line. Otherwise, it'll spray fluid all over the place including you. You will need 2 or 3 people for this (1 to keep pressure on the line, one to start/stop the car, and another one to pump in fluid as it drains from the return line. After installing the pan and adding about 4 liters until it trickled out of the fill hole, I had my wife turn on the car briefly to let the old fluid from the cooler (kuhler in german) and the torque converter until you see clear or new fluid (pensotin atf is a light yellowish color almost like engine oil), and turn the car off. Reconnect the lines to the tranny making sure you have the O-rings properly placed. Pump in for fluid until it leaks out from the fill hole, and turn on the car for about a minute (this should have the temperature around 40 to 50 degrees Celsius) and pump more fluid in until you see a steady stream of fluid leak out of the fill hole. Screw in the fill plug with the car on and put everything back and you are DONE! I am driving it and it drives much better and I do not get the shudder that I had. It seems to be more responsive to throttle, which I like. I am happy with the work I did, and I just wanted to share it with you guys. Hope it helps, and please ask me any questions if I made it a bit confusing.