PDA

View Full Version : This is for the h8ers...

SARAFIL
12-06-2003, 06:53 PM
http://www.bmwcca.org/Roundel/2003/12/Article_2.shtml (http://www.bmwcca.org/Roundel/2003/12/Article_2.shtml)

Looks like some BMW traditionalists have been successfully converted on BMWs new direction, and really like the new 6er. This article seems quite interesting...
confirmed retro-grouch, I love the E39 5 Series. The new Fünfer is most definitely not an E39, but rather relentlessly Sevenesque. Thus, in view of the new coupe's design cues----also taken from the most recent 7 Series, henceforth and heretofore referred to as the Bulbous-Butted-Slab-Sided-Bangled- Bimmer-Of-Scorn----I was apprehensive as I flew to the launch of the new 645Ci in Spain. "This," I said to myself, "could be another disaster on the scale of the San Francisco Earthquake… or even the Pontiac Aztec."

I was wrong. God help me, I was so wrong.The new 645Ci will flat knock your ass in the creek. Take my retro-grouch word for it: Photos will never do this car justice. You just have to see it in the aluminum/composite/ high-strength-steel flesh. It's the one we've been waiting for. This is, in the words of the editor-in-chief, "a stunning car."

Damn. I hate it when he's right.

But I always face the truth. So welcome back, BMW Design Chief Chris Bangle. Welcome back to the cabal of Bimmerheads who rejoice in right-looking cars, those of us who have celebrated most of the BMW product line for the last 65 years. We knew you could do it. Well, maybe hoped is a better word. Either way, you're back.
And this should also serve as official notification to the Bangle-bashers: Get over it. Get over it or go buy a Mercedes. Yeah, you're probably getting old enough by now. It's time to think about that Merc. You'll like it. It suits your delicate design sensibilities… and your squishy bottom. For the rest of us, there's this new absolute driving machine to ponder.

Sean
12-06-2003, 07:59 PM
LOL :rofl: :bustingup

I wonder how much Bangle, BMW NA, and BMW AG paid him to write that? :p

Edit: Opinions are like @ssholes, every has one. :p

PhilH
12-06-2003, 08:00 PM
...or maybe he's just sucking up to his boss, who clearly likes it as well. :dunno:

HW
12-06-2003, 08:02 PM
i agree that the 6er looks good.

Sean
12-06-2003, 08:12 PM
...or maybe he's just sucking up to his boss, who clearly likes it as well. :dunno:

Very true. :D Brown Noser!

Alex Baumann
12-07-2003, 10:17 AM
Don't stretch it, no article in this world will change my opinion.

De gustibus non est disputandum

glaws
12-07-2003, 10:57 AM
Don't stretch it, no article in this world will change my opinion.

De gustibus non est disputandum

Translated loosely from the Latin "There is no accounting for taste" But since I havn't seen one in person, I shall wait to pass judgement. There seems to have been some diminuation of the Bangle Butt lately, but I still see the upswept eyebrows and I hate that!

racerdave
12-07-2003, 01:02 PM
I saw an E60 in black yesterday. When I saw the first one in black, I liked it.

Yesterday, it still looked too much like an E60. ;D

I had the bulbous nose and long-ish front overhang.

De gustibus non est disputandum... indeed. :D