PDA

View Full Version : The Barge is now undrivable.

Nick325xiT 5spd
12-06-2003, 10:24 PM
Bah.

At least it's not my fault. I was approaching a three way intersection with a one-way stop as a Subaru approached the stop sign. I drive through this spot all the time, and people frequently blow off the stop sign so I always slow to around 20 just to be safe when I see other people. Unfortunately, this asshole STOPPED at the stop sign. He waited for a moment, and then, when I was about 1.5 car lengths away he went for it. :mad:

I hit the brakes, but with a median AND an oncoming driver to the left, I had nowhere to go.

BANG!

The asshole tried to claim that I was going WAY too fast and couldn't make the turn. Fortunately, not only were the cops very prompt, they also told him that his theory was physically impossible based on the debris pattern. And declared him fully at fault. And gave him a ticket.

At the moment, I need a new R/F fender, bumper and possibly hood. Additionally, there's suspension damage ("straight" is 3/4 of a turn to the left) and all the traction control lights are lit up. Hopefully, it's not TOO serious.

Bah.

Dr. Phil
12-06-2003, 10:31 PM
:( :cry:

Good news, you were not injured :thumbup: Also that the police knew were to assess blame.

Did the blue prospect turn out well :dunno:

AB
12-06-2003, 10:33 PM
Sorry to hear that....I definitely won't complain about my car's only problem being filthy.

·clyde·
12-06-2003, 10:34 PM
If it's any consolation...

My (former) wagon was hit today too. By a shopping cart while my wife was in the store...or so she says. She also claims that there was no damage. :dunno: It's dark out and the car is covered in salt.

Nick325xiT 5spd
12-06-2003, 10:35 PM
The blue car was as described. I'm probably going to buy it monday.

It's just a good thing the accident happened at such a slow speed (No more than 15 MPH). The other driver was about 60 and his passenger looked like she was in her eighties. I don't want to think about what an airbag deployment would have done to them. :p

nate
12-06-2003, 10:37 PM
:(

Frobozz
12-06-2003, 11:39 PM
Well that sucks. As a fellow Marylander I'm not sure what scares me more, the BAD drivers or the psychotic deer

Mr. The Edge
12-06-2003, 11:40 PM
Well that sucks. As a fellow Marylander I'm not sure what scares me more, the BAD drivers or the psychotic deer

I was within a few feet of taking out a deer tonight :eek:

:whew:

The Roadstergal
12-07-2003, 12:06 AM
Ouch! That sucks. :(

At least you've got their fault in the matter documented. Best of luck in a speedy and good repair, and a decent loaner...

Kaz
12-07-2003, 12:43 AM
At least the cops came out and made the conclusion they did. A lot of PDs around here won't come out to an accident scene unless someone is practically dead.

Nick325xiT 5spd
12-07-2003, 04:58 AM
At least the cops came out and made the conclusion they did. A lot of PDs around here won't come out to an accident scene unless someone is practically dead.
I'll confess that I was rather surprised. They took less than half an hour... AND they apologized for taking so long. (Apparently they were given the wrong intersection.)

Andy
12-07-2003, 06:35 AM
Nick, I'm really sorry to hear about that. I'm glad you're ok.

I know how you must feel... I was in a pretty bad accident in my 2001 330i last year about this time. It too was completely their fault... and it was an older couple too. :(

WILLIA///M
12-07-2003, 06:49 AM
Too bad about the barge but it's good to hear no one was hurt.

GSR13
12-07-2003, 07:39 AM
To echo everyone else, sorry to hear about this Nick. Glad to hear that everyone was safe and I hope your car gets back to you soon.

Alex Baumann
12-07-2003, 08:10 AM
Oh man, that sucks big time :tsk: I'm glad that noone was injured.

IndyMike
12-07-2003, 09:26 AM
The blue car was as described. I'm probably going to buy it monday.

It's just a good thing the accident happened at such a slow speed (No more than 15 MPH). The other driver was about 60 and his passenger looked like she was in her eighties. I don't want to think about what an airbag deployment would have done to them. :p
First off, what a bummer. I, too, slow way down when coming upon these types of intersections. You did everything right, but sometimes even that is not enough.

Secondly, if you need a new bumper, which will you go with; the original stock one?

And finally, what 'blue car' are you talking about? :dunno:

AF
12-07-2003, 09:52 AM
Sorry to hear it Nick . . . it totally sucks to have an accident . . .

Hoipe everything works out well . . . maybe its time for an M-tech bumper since your changing it out.

ff
12-07-2003, 10:03 AM
Bummer, Nick...

If cops want to generate revenue, they need to get their a$$es away from the highway speed traps, and into the neighborhoods. Start patrolling the stop signs, and also start nabbing these people barreling through residential streets at unsafe speeds.

People basically ignore stop signs these days. It is a big problem around here. No blue and white in sight, though. :dunno:

Nick325xiT 5spd
12-07-2003, 11:30 AM
Bummer, Nick...

If cops want to generate revenue, they need to get their a$$es away from the highway speed traps, and into the neighborhoods. Start patrolling the stop signs, and also start nabbing these people barreling through residential streets at unsafe speeds.

People basically ignore stop signs these days. It is a big problem around here. No blue and white in sight, though. :dunno:
Eh, if he'd just ignored the stop sign, there wouldn't have been an accident. :p I was prepared for that. But I absolutely agree with you.

ChadS
12-07-2003, 12:50 PM

I'm with you there. I live on a street with a 25mph speed limit, but people use the street as a shortcut around and fly down it around 40 - 50 mph. If you want to speed on the highway, fine, but local residential roads, no. There are kids that play on our street and it scares me that one day one of them will get hit. I think the police may start doing something soon since in the past 2 weeks there have been 4 accidents along are street; 2 with people flying through the stop signs and 2 going too fast with the snow on Friday (and yes they were SUV's :tsk: ) Since our street is considered residential it is one of the last to get plowed (if at all), and still isn't plowed as of right now. Rant off. :)

Nick325xiT 5spd
12-07-2003, 01:34 PM
http://www.nrubenstein.com/gallery/CrashPics

Grrr.

Definite suspension damage, maybe even damage to the frame. Unfortunately, while this was a very slow speed impact, I was forced to hit him at almost the exact wrong angle. As you can see from the pics, the impact occurred just to the right of the bumper structure, so the impact went RIGHT through and wasted most of its energy on the wheel. To make things worse, I carried his car over about 10 feet, so the impact had a pretty lengthy duration.

All in all, NOT good.

Dr. Phil
12-07-2003, 01:44 PM
:bawling: :mad:

*comfs*

nate
12-07-2003, 01:54 PM
I've seen worse :eeps:

(on my car) :(

SARAFIL
12-07-2003, 01:58 PM
I've seen worse :eeps:

(on my car) :(

Me too :eeps:

(as the result of a similar accident)

How are you feeling, Nick? Just be glad you're fine; they can always fix the car.

Nick325xiT 5spd
12-07-2003, 01:59 PM
Eh, I've braked harder than the impact. :p (Seriously.)

AndDown
12-07-2003, 05:07 PM
Sorry to hear about your accident. I was just thinking the other driver probably thought it was a 4-way stop and he probably assumed you were going to stop seeing you were slowing down. This has happened to me before and it's :yikes:

SergioK
12-08-2003, 06:24 AM
Damn that sucks! :thumbdwn:

Artslinger
12-08-2003, 07:38 AM
Yikes, looks like a very expensive repair. :eek:

car_for_mom
12-08-2003, 12:15 PM
Bummer, bummer, bummer, Nick325xIT5spd! :mad: :thumbdwn: :cry:

I'm glad you're okay, but you've got to be feeling bad!

I hope your insurance company will not fall prey to Anal-Cranial Inversion Disorder, that they'll get your car fixed right away!

bluer1
12-08-2003, 12:25 PM
I'm with you there. I live on a street with a 25mph speed limit, but people use the street as a shortcut around and fly down it around 40 - 50 mph. If you want to speed on the highway, fine, but local residential roads, no. There are kids that play on our street and it scares me that one day one of them will get hit. I think the police may start doing something soon since in the past 2 weeks there have been 4 accidents along are street; 2 with people flying through the stop signs and 2 going too fast with the snow on Friday (and yes they were SUV's :tsk: ) Since our street is considered residential it is one of the last to get plowed (if at all), and still isn't plowed as of right now. Rant off. :)

Yup - and the folks on my street have removed the "DIP" warning sign for the big one that's right in front of my house. I've seen/heard plenty of folks catch air there.
:tsk:

Sorry to hear about the wagon - glad you're still around to be pissed off though.
;)

Nick325xiT 5spd
12-08-2003, 12:43 PM
Bummer, bummer, bummer, Nick325xIT5spd! :mad: :thumbdwn: :cry:

I'm glad you're okay, but you've got to be feeling bad!

I hope your insurance company will not fall prey to Anal-Cranial Inversion Disorder, that they'll get your car fixed right away!
Well, we'll see if GEICO gives me any trouble. I spoke with my State Farm agent, and they'll take care of me instanter if I get any crap from the other guy's insurance company.

Fortunately, with a police report and a ticket both blaming the other guy, it's a pretty open and shut case.

e46shift
12-11-2003, 03:31 PM
try to get diminished value..
well at least the other guy has different insurance. when my brother got hit and geico found out that other guy(full fault) had geico too, they were less than cooperative. :thumbdwn:

Nick325xiT 5spd
12-11-2003, 03:33 PM
GEICO's already being uncooperative. :p

I'm getting the car fixed through State Farm, and then they can bill GEICO later. And hell yes, I'm going for diminished value.

The Roadstergal
12-11-2003, 03:40 PM
GEICO's already being uncooperative. :p

I'm getting the car fixed through State Farm, and then they can bill GEICO later. And hell yes, I'm going for diminished value.

Why am I not surprised that GEICO sucks?

Good that State Farm is doing right by you. Hope you get it fixed (and diminished value to you) quickly and well!

BTW, I have a friend who was smacked in his BMW. They replaced the door panel, but he had them very carefully replace the VIN sticker on the replacement, instead of the DOT-R. Dunno if it's legal, but certainly sounds like a good idea to me, if the body shop knows their stuff and does the repair well.

Nick325xiT 5spd
12-11-2003, 03:44 PM
That's illegal and it's supposed to be impossible. (Not that anything is.)

JonW
12-11-2003, 04:12 PM
Sorry about the accident. Glad to hear you're OK.

The Roadstergal
12-11-2003, 04:22 PM
That's illegal and it's supposed to be impossible. (Not that anything is.)

Said person is in the biz that's supposed to know if it's legal or not. :eeps:

Nick325xiT 5spd
12-11-2003, 04:25 PM
A Lawyer is paid to get around the law, not observe it. ;)

vexed
12-11-2003, 05:03 PM
A Lawyer is paid to get around the law, not observe it. ;)

:neener: