PDA

View Full Version : Car wont start after thermostat and water pump is replaced..

cmolina619
08-06-2010, 04:19 PM
Help!!! 2001 325i 110k miles. I just replaced my water pump and thermostat and after putting everything back together and bleeding the coolant system the car won't start. battery is good and the car is turning. Anything I missed doing?

catso
08-06-2010, 04:25 PM
Help!!! 2001 325i 110k miles. I just replaced my water pump and thermostat and after putting everything back together and bleeding the coolant system the car won't start. battery is good and the car is turning. Anything I missed doing?

You must have disturbed some wiring connection. Recheck what is near the front of the motor. It's even possible a disconnected sensor would generate a code. If you have a scanner plug it in and see what you get. :dunno:

cmolina619
08-06-2010, 04:33 PM
I had thermostat fault that's why I replaced the thermostat and replaced the water pump at the same time. I was also getting misfire on # 2 cylinder prior to water pump and thermostat replacement. However no fault is showing up anymore. I'll try to remove everything and install to check if i disturbed anything.

smolck
08-06-2010, 04:38 PM
Check your cam sensors, they sometimes get knocked around when you remove the hoses, also your vanos solenoid connections are in the way some.. Curious how you bled the system without the car running?

catso
08-06-2010, 04:40 PM
I had thermostat fault that's why I replaced the thermostat and replaced the water pump at the same time. I was also getting misfire on # 2 cylinder prior to water pump and thermostat replacement. However no fault is showing up anymore. I'll try to remove everything and install to check if i disturbed anything.

If you can't find anything pull the #2 plug and take a careful look at it. :confused:

smolck
08-06-2010, 04:41 PM
If you can't find anything pull the #2 plug and take a careful look at it. :confused:

Yea, but even a totally failed cylinder 2 would allow the car to start. :dunno:

catso
08-06-2010, 04:49 PM
Yea, but even a totally failed cylinder 2 would allow the car to start. :dunno:

But it might (hopefully not) indicate a BIGGER problem....:yikes:

golforcars325i
08-06-2010, 04:51 PM
Curious how you bled the system without the car running?

I don't think it has to be running........ I didn't have the car running when I bled mine. I just had the key on, the heater temp set to 91 and the fan on low. It worked fine.

Here's the DIY I used.........
http://www.bmw330ci.net/maintenance/completecoolant.php#step6

catso
08-06-2010, 04:54 PM
Check your cam sensors, they sometimes get knocked around when you remove the hoses, also your vanos solenoid connections are in the way some.. Curious how you bled the system without the car running?

That's the way they tell you to bleed it, at least to start? :confused:

cmolina619
08-06-2010, 05:29 PM
I guess i forgot the drain the engine block. Will that prevent the car from starting. checked the sensors and vanos solenoid connections and are both in. I bled the coolant system by poured coolant while the bleed screw is loosen. I also turned on the fan on low and put the heat on high while the engine was off. The car still won't start. ARgh..

bluebee
08-06-2010, 06:13 PM
FWIW, if the car is turning over, as you say it is, but won't run, then it's always one of five things ...

1. Gas
2. Air
3. Spark
4. Compression
5. Timing

If an engine has those 5 items (in the right ratios of course), it has to run. See which of them got disturbed.

cmolina619
08-06-2010, 06:32 PM
FWIW, if the car is turning over, as you say it is, but won't run, then it's always one of five things ...

1. Gas
2. Air
3. Spark
4. Compression
5. Timing

If an engine has those 5 items (in the right ratios of course), it has to run. See which of them got disturbed.

One thing i didn't do is start the car before I started working on it to make sure it's good. The car wasn't used for over a week.

I'll check those five..thanks.

cmolina619
08-07-2010, 10:37 AM
I'm not getting gas from the fuel rail valve under the hood. I think it may be the fuel pump. I'll check the fuel relay as well.

mujjuman
08-08-2010, 06:49 AM
yup and check the fuse

cmolina619
08-08-2010, 10:01 AM
Fuse is good... I think it's the fuel pump.. Anyone know what noise the fuel pump generates when u turn the ignition? I don't seem to hear anything.

G. P. Burdell
08-08-2010, 10:08 AM
Mine makes a hissing-whirring noise for a couple of seconds when I turn the key to the Run (second) position.

catso
08-08-2010, 10:29 AM
Fuse is good... I think it's the fuel pump.. Anyone know what noise the fuel pump generates when u turn the ignition? I don't seem to hear anything.

Did you check the relay? The fuel pump relay and the horn relay are the same. Switch the two and see if that works.

cmolina619
08-08-2010, 11:04 AM
Did you check the relay? The fuel pump relay and the horn relay are the same. Switch the two and see if that works.

Actually mine is not the same. Separate fuse. Horn is 15 and fuel pump is 20. But I did switch the fuel pump relay with a spare 20 fuse. Still no go. Is the fuel pump noise very obvious and discernible? I don't hear anything eve with the rear seats off.

Ryan M
08-08-2010, 11:17 AM
Actually mine is not the same. Separate fuse. Horn is 15 and fuel pump is 20. But I did switch the fuel pump relay with a spare 20 fuse. Still no go. Is the fuel pump noise very obvious and discernible? I don't hear anything eve with the rear seats off.

Did you check the actual relay for the fuel pump itself? If the fuse is good, then replacing it with another fuse won't do anything. Take out the fuel pump relay, insert a jumper wire from terminal 30 to terminal 87, and try to start the car. If your car starts, then you have a bad relay. Done.

mksu19
08-08-2010, 03:36 PM
Not sure if this helps but when I changed the Thermostat in my old E36, I forgot to rebolt the (what looks to me like) a ground wire that was in front of the engine. This caused my car not to turn over during start up. When my hubby noticed the wire, he bolted it on she fired right up. Hope this helps!

cmolina619
08-08-2010, 08:06 PM
So I checked the fuel pump if it's getting 12 volts by unplugging the connector and checking it with a volt meter. It's getting 12 volts so I re-attached the connector and I turned the key, I immediately hear the fuel pump hiss. I turned the ignition and the car started! It started several times, but after an hour the water pump stopped again. So I'm convinced that it is a bad FP.

Getting the fuel pump and fuel filter on Tuesday. It's weird that the fuel pump went south during a thermostat and water pump install. Awesome timing. I'll update after the install.

Ryan M
08-08-2010, 08:13 PM
Replace the relay at the same time. I'd hate to see you stranded after spending money on replacing the pump all because of a 5 dollar relay :)