PDA

View Full Version : Anyone in NJ here that can give me advice on 2 citations

ZIGGURAT89
12-08-2003, 12:53 PM
Hi,

Last night around 10pm I received 2 citations right before the scenic view at the deleware water gap. I saw the officer hiding in the median, but since there were no cars in front my radar detector was of no use. I saw him pull out and follow me for a while before pulling me over. He issued me a careless driving and failure to exhibit documents because my insurance card had expired. He said that he gave me a $78 careless driving citation instead of a 84 in 65zone $400 ticket. If i go to court since this is my first offense the state won't issue me points. Will this show up on my insurance even though i get no points? For the failure to exhibit doc citation, the fine on back of the ticket is $44 but the officer crossed it out and wrote $24. I called the municapl court to find out for sure it's $24 and they told me the fine is usually $178 for NJ residents and definately not $44 or $24. The lady didn't have my ticket yet so she wasn't certain. Anyone here know the fine for this citation?

Thanks a lot.

The Roadstergal
12-08-2003, 01:02 PM
Dude, it sounds like you got a helluva deal. You might be able to pay a lawyer a lot and get out of it, but if it were me I'd pay the $102, renew my insurance and drive a little slower on the street.

ZIGGURAT89
12-08-2003, 02:25 PM
i had the insurance card, but since it was so dark i couldn't find it in my glovebox at the time. The one i had was 2 month expired. I will watch my speedometer from now on.

Dude, it sounds like you got a helluva deal. You might be able to pay a lawyer a lot and get out of it, but if it were me I'd pay the $102, renew my insurance and drive a little slower on the street.

shabbaman
12-09-2003, 08:22 PM
go to court and pleabargain. worst case, they'll drop the insurance. Best case, they'll convert the careless to a 'failure to obey officer's instructions' . the fine will be higher but you won't get points.

wannabimmer
12-10-2003, 08:40 AM
Hi,

Last night around 10pm I received 2 citations right before the scenic view at the deleware water gap. I saw the officer hiding in the median, but since there were no cars in front my radar detector was of no use. I saw him pull out and follow me for a while before pulling me over. He issued me a careless driving and failure to exhibit documents because my insurance card had expired. He said that he gave me a $78 careless driving citation instead of a 84 in 65zone $400 ticket. If i go to court since this is my first offense the state won't issue me points. Will this show up on my insurance even though i get no points? For the failure to exhibit doc citation, the fine on back of the ticket is $44 but the officer crossed it out and wrote $24. I called the municapl court to find out for sure it's $24 and they told me the fine is usually $178 for NJ residents and definately not $44 or $24. The lady didn't have my ticket yet so she wasn't certain. Anyone here know the fine for this citation?

Thanks a lot.

Sounds like you got off easy. I got nailed doing 87 on the Parkway down in Avalon. No breaks from the cop and ignored my PBA card. Fought it in court and got it down to 79. Still bad for fines and insurance. The cop basically saved you a day in court, because best case you would have pleaded down to careless. I'd just pay it because the cop will be there and you won't get any breaks from the prosecuter considering that you were already given a break. If the ticket say $24, then pay $24 - not your fault. Good luck.

ZIGGURAT89
12-10-2003, 09:54 PM
Thanks for your replies. Actually, I received a $78 careless driving citation. The officer stated that if I show up in court and since this is my first offense, they won't give me points. That's only if i come to court. He didn't say anything about the failure to exhibit doc citation. I don't want to pay $24 and then have them send me a letter asking for more.

Sounds like you got off easy. I got nailed doing 87 on the Parkway down in Avalon. No breaks from the cop and ignored my PBA card. Fought it in court and got it down to 79. Still bad for fines and insurance. The cop basically saved you a day in court, because best case you would have pleaded down to careless. I'd just pay it because the cop will be there and you won't get any breaks from the prosecuter considering that you were already given a break. If the ticket say $24, then pay $24 - not your fault. Good luck.

Mike330ZHP
12-11-2003, 09:29 AM
I had to pay one of those failure to exhibit documents a while ago too. I do remember reading an article in the paper recently though that they greatly increased the fine for that violation, be it your license, registration, or insurance card. It is part of that whole DMW initiative going along with tougher standards to get a license. $178 seems ridiculous, but I do remember it went up.