PDA

View Full Version : 20" wheels & Supercharging 3.0

MGR8
12-08-2003, 02:32 PM
Just got my X5 3.0 about three weeks ago. Great car so far, a little slow ... couldn't talk the wife into the 4.6. Just didn't see the need for the 100+ extra HP or $25K Women just don't understand. :mad:

Anyho, has anyone put 20" rims on their 3.0? If so, did you see a big decrease in acceleration? Can't decide between the 19's or 20's. Any feed back would be great. Also, considering the ESS Performance supercharging system, will the trans hold up to increase in HP (334HP)? Has anyone done it and what is your take on reliablity concerns?

Thanks,
MGR8
Brian

Tominizer
12-09-2003, 01:25 PM
There's a few people that have supercharged their 330's without issues. I think you should be fine, but I'm no expert. Can't comment on the 20" but I'd speculate they are not helping out in the quickness department. What sort of pricing did you get on the supercharger installed ????

flashinthepan
12-09-2003, 01:28 PM
20" will hurt you. Its like adding a highway gear to your axle ratio, or the opposite of an acceleration axle ratio. Superchargers are $6000 appx, so dont tell your wife.

:D

TORNADO
12-14-2003, 05:22 AM
I think it depends on the wight of the rims
if it is havy, it will effect your acceleration :)

swindonhost
12-14-2003, 07:17 AM
Just got my X5 3.0 about three weeks ago. Great car so far, a little slow ... couldn't talk the wife into the 4.6. Just didn't see the need for the 100+ extra HP or $25K Women just don't understand. :mad:

Anyho, has anyone put 20" rims on their 3.0? If so, did you see a big decrease in acceleration? Can't decide between the 19's or 20's. Any feed back would be great. Also, considering the ESS Performance supercharging system, will the trans hold up to increase in HP (334HP)? Has anyone done it and what is your take on reliablity concerns?

Thanks,
MGR8
Brian

Hi I have 21" Alpinas on the 3.0D, no loss of performance, if anything its better and looks fantastic.

http://www.eyres.tv/xfive/newtoy.jpg

As to the supercharger, sorry no idea if it can take the load,

Emission
12-17-2003, 11:21 PM
Unless the larger wheels weigh less (unlikely) they will cause the ride to deteriorate. Period.

The SC shouldn't hurt anything, but resale value. For the cost of the SC ($7000?) you could have covered the difference between the 3.0 and 4.4 (think payments, not just cash differences)!

MGR8
12-18-2003, 05:31 PM
I think I am going to just go with the 19" wheels and not SC. I am planning on getting a Remus exhaust and leave it at that. I drive about 35K miles a year, (sales job) so resale isn't really a concern of mine. I will put 100K on it in roughly 3 years and have to buy my way out of it just like all my others cars!

I can hide 7k from the wife! Easier to hide it than fight for it up front! :thumbup:

MGR8
Brian