PDA

View Full Version : Phone call through BMW Assist?!?!

2004onyx330xi
12-08-2003, 04:16 PM
My wife was driving the 330xi tonight when all of the sudden, she was startled by a ringing noise and noticed "Phone" on the radio display. She pressed the answer button on the steering wheel, and spoke with someone briefly before hanging up. Apparently it was someone on their cellphone...and not BMW Assist. Strange, we do not have a bluetooth phone. Has anyone else had this issue? :dunno:

Terry Kennedy
12-08-2003, 10:34 PM
My wife was driving the 330xi tonight when all of the sudden, she was startled by a ringing noise and noticed "Phone" on the radio display. She pressed the answer button on the steering wheel, and spoke with someone briefly before hanging up. Apparently it was someone on their cellphone...and not BMW Assist. Strange, we do not have a bluetooth phone. Has anyone else had this issue? :dunno:I don't see any reason it isn't possible - after all, they are using cellular technology (much cheaper than building their own tower network) and thus the Assist phone has a cellular number. So if someone calls that number (by accident), there you go... If you can find out what number they called, you'd probably have free incoming-only service to the car.

LmtdSlip
12-09-2003, 08:12 AM
That would be pretty cool.

Based on some quick researh I found this...
So it would be a Verizon number.

Verizon Wireless (New York) recently signed an exclusive agreement to supply all the wireless connectivity for the OnStar network.

Also,

Next year's OnStar models will include two new services that will extend the service into more traditional mobile telephone services. The first will let OnStar subscribers dial any phone number, and the second will use voice recognition to deliver information from the Internet, such as stock quotes, news, weather and e-mail.

ScottW
02-16-2004, 04:06 AM
The car's phone number for Assist equipped cars appears to be the MIN# printed on the bluetooth passkey card that comes with the manuals and it seems to accept incoming calls. Be sure to read your bmw assist agreement to determine whether or not such use violates the agreement.

Is it confirmed that the assist phone uses Verizon? If so, because the phone has an ESN#, seems like you could just call Verizon and tell them you bought a new phone and activate service with them using the assist phone's ESN#? IMO it's dumb to have to do the bluetooth install for $500 and get a bluetooth phone when we already paid for the cellular equipment that's included in the Assist package.

BMW would be smart to allow assist owners to easily sign up for a monthly cell phone service to make outgoing calls but I don't see that happening so figuring out how to activate the phone's ESN# on a supporting provider is probably the only way to go.

Magna
02-16-2004, 09:20 AM
The car's phone number for Assist equipped cars appears to be the MIN# printed on the bluetooth passkey card that comes with the manuals and it seems to accept incoming calls.

Is it confirmed that the assist phone uses Verizon? If so, because the phone has an ESN#, seems like you could just call Verizon and tell them you bought a new phone and activate service with them using the assist phone's ESN#? IMO it is STUPID to have to do the bluetooth install for $500 and get a bluetooth phone when we already paid for the cellular equipment that's included in the Assist package.

BMW would be smart to allow assist owners to easily sign up for a monthly cell phone service to make outgoing calls but I don't see that happening so figuring out how to activate the phone's ESN# on a supporting provider is probably the only way to go.

Scott, Excellent point!!!

According to the accessories catalog, you can't get bluetooth if you have Assist, which makes sense since you already have, in a sense, cell service.

Free incoming sounds great though, wonder how long this loophole will last. actually this loophole might be a blessing since it would make BMW implement your idea. maybe BMW could work out a deal with the cell carrier to get some of the monthly charge. seems like the only reason bmw isn't do this now, is the lost sales of cell phones which get out dated very fast.

man02195
02-16-2004, 10:15 AM
The car's phone number for Assist equipped cars appears to be the MIN# printed on the bluetooth passkey card that comes with the manuals and it seems to accept incoming calls.

What does the bluetooth passkey card look like? I have an assist card with BMW phone numbers, but nothing with passkey on it. It would be nice to have the car's phone number.

st_o_p
02-16-2004, 10:42 AM
My wife was driving the 330xi tonight when all of the sudden, she was startled by a ringing noise and noticed "Phone" on the radio display. She pressed the answer button on the steering wheel, and spoke with someone briefly before hanging up. Apparently it was someone on their cellphone...and not BMW Assist. Strange, we do not have a bluetooth phone. Has anyone else had this issue? :dunno:

Happened to me once. The phone rang, and since I don't have either bluetooth or CPT9000 I thought it's some kind of electrical malfunction. I rejected the call - not intentionally, more like it was the first button I hit. Never thought it might be actual incoming call. But it's really cool if we can receive calls that way.

I don't know if it's Verizon service or not, but I doubt it will be free considering the way things are in the US. In Europe generally you don't pay for incoming calls on your cell - you only pay when you dial somebody (just like a landline).

Johnny_Hotcakes
02-16-2004, 11:32 AM
Has anybody tried dialing to your car using the MIN#? If so, tell us if it was successful.

primerate
02-17-2004, 02:57 PM
Has anybody tried dialing to your car using the MIN#? If so, tell us if it was successful.
I tried it last night and it works! I dialed the MIN# from my cell and sure enough I answered myself. Pretty cool!

man02195
02-17-2004, 04:05 PM
I tried it last night and it works! I dialed the MIN# from my cell and sure enough I answered myself. Pretty cool!

Hey, I have a passkey card, but it doesn't have a MIN# on it. Just the following:
84.11 69 blah blah
239 blah blah
USA 07.12.2003
BMW Everest IBUS US
SW: 69 HW:13
BT:
PK:
ESN: 146
barcode
UIS00 blah blah

Any thoughts? Anyone have something like this? It was a Performance Delivery car, not prepped by dealer.

Johnny_Hotcakes
02-17-2004, 04:23 PM
Does the permanent BMW Assist card that comes in the mail have the MIN#? I still haven't received mine.

BJSteffes
02-21-2004, 11:50 AM
The same thing happened to me! Just picked up my 2004 330Ci. The phone rang once...I answered...talked...etc. Wrong number of course.

Yes, the MIN number is the cars #. Though I can't seem to duplicate this phone call again. I have to activate my BMW assist on Monday so we shall see.

I will keep you posted.

Happened to me once. The phone rang, and since I don't have either bluetooth or CPT9000 I thought it's some kind of electrical malfunction. I rejected the call - not intentionally, more like it was the first button I hit. Never thought it might be actual incoming call. But it's really cool if we can receive calls that way.

I don't know if it's Verizon service or not, but I doubt it will be free considering the way things are in the US. In Europe generally you don't pay for incoming calls on your cell - you only pay when you dial somebody (just like a landline).

Blue
02-21-2004, 03:55 PM

This is great info! I tried going back through all my manuals but could not find anything talking about BMW Assist nor the bluetooth passkey card. Can someone post more information about this topic? I would like to learn more about the Assit program and my car's MIN#. Thank you.

Blue.

SRFast
02-21-2004, 08:31 PM
Why do folks with BMW Assist refer to the Assist information card as the "Bluetooth Passkey"? The information on the card has nothing to do with BT becuase no BT system exist. BMW Assist is a celluar transceiver with preprogramed "outbound" phone numbers. You can receive calls, but can't place them because there is no "keypad" for you to enter numbers with. Assist and BMW BT cannot co-exist because they use the same wiring/connections. FYI: BMW doesn't use OnStar for its telematics, it uses ATX/Cross Country Automotive Services.

Regards.....JL

ScottW
02-21-2004, 09:52 PM
Why do folks with BMW Assist refer to the Assist information card as the "Bluetooth Passkey"? The information on the card has nothing to do with BT becuase no BT system exist. BMW Assist is a celluar transceiver with preprogramed "outbound" phone numbers. You can receive calls, but can't place them because there is no "keypad" for you to enter numbers with. Assist and BMW BT cannot co-exist because they use the same wiring/connections. FYI: BMW doesn't use OnStar for its telematics, it uses ATX/Cross Country Automotive Services.

Regards.....JL

We refer to it as the Bluetooth Passkey card because it has the words "Bluetooth Passkey PK" written on it 9 times in various languages. From the card, "Bluetooth passkey PK*, for pairing Bluetooth devices with your vehicle. If a free choice of Bluetooth passkey is not available, see Operating Instructions for the Bluetooth device."

Also BTW, yes there is a keypad to enter numbers, at least for those of us with the nav system. There is a phone menu with a keypad, address book, etc - you can enter a number and dial it, but the outgoing call doesn't go through.

Fzara2000
02-22-2004, 07:39 PM
I had a friend try calling me the other day, and we talked for roughly 10 minutes.

Does anyone know if they could charge us an exuberant amount for doing this? I mean..Assist is free for a year, but they could fine us for abusing the service.

Someone call up and find out! :bigpimp:

Blue
02-23-2004, 12:09 AM
I had a friend try calling me the other day, and we talked for roughly 10 minutes.

Does anyone know if they could charge us an exuberant amount for doing this? I mean..Assist is free for a year, but they could fine us for abusing the service.

Someone call up and find out! :bigpimp:

How did you determine your MIN#? I tried using the ESN# but it didn't work. Can someone be more specific? Thanks!

LmtdSlip
02-23-2004, 07:58 AM
FYI: BMW doesn't use OnStar for its telematics, it uses ATX/Cross Country Automotive Services.

ATX is part owned by Vodaphone which of course owns 45% of Verizon Wireless...
So I would think its a fair bet that Verizon is the cell service provider.

SRFast
02-23-2004, 10:55 AM
Thanks for clarifying the "BT passkey" & BMW Assist card issue for me. BMW is confusing all their customers when they do this kind of stuff.

Regards...JL

st_o_p
02-24-2004, 04:51 PM
I tried going back through all my manuals but could not find anything talking about BMW Assist nor the bluetooth passkey card.

Me neither. I keep everything that I got with the car and I'm positive there is no card with MIN# on it. The only Assist card I have (it is blue BTW) has 1-800 numbers and nothing else. Maybe they don't give those cards to everyone. I wonder if calling my dealer to ask will do any good.

dbock
03-11-2004, 01:29 PM
Me neither. I keep everything that I got with the car and I'm positive there is no card with MIN# on it. The only Assist card I have (it is blue BTW) has 1-800 numbers and nothing else. Maybe they don't give those cards to everyone. I wonder if calling my dealer to ask will do any good.

it's not a card in the true sense of what you guy's are thinking about....it's a 5"X7" sized laminated index card that Say's Bluetooth Passkey BT#...but no number... then on a sticker in the lower left hand corner, it has your MIN# at the bottom, with your ESN# at the top.
I have a 2004 325xi...I think it's something that they started putting in the literature for 2004...since it's only 2004 owners that have had this experience. I haven't activated my BMW assist yet..maybe that's why we can use it..it seems the others haven't either...but that's just speculation

BTW..has anyone had any luck on finding out whether we can get charged for using the incoming call feature....nothing in life is free!! :thumbup:

bimNaround
03-11-2004, 07:12 PM
it's not a card in the true sense of what you guy's are thinking about....it's a 5"X7" sized laminated index card that Say's Bluetooth Passkey BT#...but no number... then on a sticker in the lower left hand corner, it has your MIN# at the bottom, with your ESN# at the top.
I have a 2004 325xi...I think it's something that they started putting in the literature for 2004...since it's only 2004 owners that have had this experience. I haven't activated my BMW assist yet..maybe that's why we can use it..it seems the others haven't either...but that's just speculation

BTW..has anyone had any luck on finding out whether we can get charged for using the incoming call feature....nothing in life is free!! :thumbup:

I have a MIN # on a card, tried it, and the call didn't go through. Maybe car at home is in a poor coverage area or maybe is just won't go through.

dv8ed
03-14-2004, 10:40 AM
If you are unsure of the number please ask the caller next time what number they called.

swindonhost
03-14-2004, 12:42 PM
Can't see any reason why they would close this, you might want to establish what charge the person calling is paying though ?

I would assume within the bmw assist charges line rental is covered

Its also possible, if you can find the Sim card, you could pre load some numbers onto it and make outbound calls via the computer stalk and phone button on the wheel.

(Just an idea :dunno: )

Orange_Bimmer
03-15-2004, 05:26 AM
Hey, I have a passkey card, but it doesn't have a MIN# on it. Just the following:
84.11 69 blah blah
239 blah blah
USA 07.12.2003
BMW Everest IBUS US
SW: 69 HW:13
BT:
PK:
ESN: 146
barcode
UIS00 blah blah

Any thoughts? Anyone have something like this? It was a Performance Delivery car, not prepped by dealer.

I also couldn't find the MIN# neither. But I see some codes on BT and nothing on PK.
I also went to Verison if my ESN is activated. Their reply was no. He however said it can be activated.

I am wondering if I should diactivate BMW Assist and activate the phone.

How do you think? Does anybody tried it?

E60 Dec. 2003 production

dbock
03-15-2004, 09:51 AM
Can't see any reason why they would close this, you might want to establish what charge the person calling is paying though ?

I would assume within the bmw assist charges line rental is covered

Its also possible, if you can find the Sim card, you could pre load some numbers onto it and make outbound calls via the computer stalk and phone button on the wheel.

(Just an idea :dunno: )

I looked up the area code for my 'assist phone number' and it's an atlanta area code..I'm up here in chicago...but with everyone having long distance on their cell phone...I don't see a problem. Where would the Sim card be? in the receiver in the trunk?

swindonhost
03-15-2004, 10:47 AM
I looked up the area code for my 'assist phone number' and it's an atlanta area code..I'm up here in chicago...but with everyone having long distance on their cell phone...I don't see a problem. Where would the Sim card be? in the receiver in the trunk?

Seems the most logical place to start looking, does anyone have a schematic of the parts required for assist, that might give a clue ?

Jon

Orange_Bimmer
03-17-2004, 07:16 AM
Here is a finding in the other discussion thread.

I would like to know how to get MIN#. Does anybody know how to get it?

New BT Pass key card does not contain MIN#

http://bimmer.roadfly.org/bmw/forums/e60/4821930-1.html

dbock
03-25-2004, 10:44 AM

I took delivery of my E46 in late January...and the min# is on the BT card? too bad I can't use the car right now...damn sliptronic...well a new one is on the way.

Magna
03-26-2004, 06:42 PM

I don't see the MIN# on the card I was given either. Any way to get the MIN? Maybe BMW heard about how people can call your car using the MIN and took it off.

Orange_Bimmer
03-28-2004, 04:17 AM
new E60 comes with Bluetooth Passkey card. However, it does not include the MIN#. Since E60 always come with BMW Assist, BMWNA has decided to take it out in order not to be used as an incoming phone that they need to pay for it, I guess. :mad:

st_o_p
03-30-2004, 11:57 AM
I don't see the MIN# on the card I was given either. Any way to get the MIN? Maybe BMW heard about how people can call your car using the MIN and took it off.

I didn't get a bluetooth card when I took delivery last October (I'm positive). Today I was at the dealership because of the BMW Assist recall, and I asked about the card. They knew what I'm talking about. I hoped that my card (it's vehicle-specific) is somewhere in the dealership, but they couldn't find it anywhere either. So they promised to call BMW NA to ask if it can be replaced. I hope that I'll be able to obtain the MIN# somehow - let's see

dbock
03-30-2004, 03:11 PM
I didn't get a bluetooth card when I took delivery last October (I'm positive). Today I was at the dealership because of the BMW Assist recall, and I asked about the card. They knew what I'm talking about. I hoped that my card (it's vehicle-specific) is somewhere in the dealership, but they couldn't find it anywhere either. So they promised to call BMW NA to ask if it can be replaced. I hope that I'll be able to obtain the MIN# somehow - let's see

good luck...I have a friend that just took delivery of a 330xi about a week ago...and he had a BT card...but it didn't have the phone number on it..???...I think BMW NA has caught on to there mistake...I wonder if BMW assist could give you the number if you called them? That might be the best bet, if the card comes back numberless. Since my card had a number on it...I use it all the time...hours of talk time for free(so far anyway)

airboss
04-02-2004, 06:26 AM
I took delivery on my '04 325XI last week and I had the MIN# number on my BT card and I am able to call myself but there is a stranger echo on both ends of the phone...now if I could only dial out I'd be a very happy man

BahnBaum
04-02-2004, 08:31 AM
I took delivery on my '04 325XI last week and I had the MIN# number on my BT card and I am able to call myself but there is a stranger echo on both ends of the phone...now if I could only dial out I'd be a very happy man

If you're dialing yourself from inside your car, that may be causing the echo. Try it from a bit of a distance and see if it goes away.

Alex

Merciless
04-02-2004, 10:34 AM
for those of you with tmobile...and if you are going on a long trip..you can forward your calls to your car ...tmobile gives you 500 mins free forwarding...
time to find that min# for me as well

airboss
04-03-2004, 12:02 PM
If you're dialing yourself from inside your car, that may be causing the echo. Try it from a bit of a distance and see if it goes away.

Alex
thanks for the sugegstion and yes that worked...had a friend call me and we chatted for a while...gotta love loop holes! :thumbup: now if I could only dial out

mikemac
04-07-2004, 12:22 PM
I just saw this thread. I have a car delivered in 2/2004 and I got the card with the MIN number on it. I tried it and it works!! :)

dbock
04-08-2004, 07:30 AM
I just saw this thread. I have a car delivered in 2/2004 and I got the card with the MIN number on it. I tried it and it works!! :)

congratulations...welcome to a group of select freeloaders...isn't it great that you can get free incoming calls...and bmw picks up the tab? Hopefully it lasts

MBR87
04-14-2004, 06:10 AM
Found my MIN#...haha i told my mom, shes loving it

swindonhost
04-14-2004, 09:40 PM
...isn't it great that you can get free incoming calls...and bmw picks up the tab? Hopefully it lasts

Doesn't the person making the call pay for it ?

Thats how it works in the UK. This wouldn't be costing BMW anything

As to line rental, thats covered by your assist package.

ChadS
04-15-2004, 03:33 AM
Doesn't the person making the call pay for it ?

Thats how it works in the UK.
Not in the US. Mobile phone users pay for both incoming and outgoing calls.

swindonhost
04-15-2004, 04:53 AM
Not in the US. Mobile phone users pay for both incoming and outgoing calls.

WOW Expensive times, now I understand. :thumbup: Ring those numbers now

gojira-san
04-16-2004, 10:44 AM
I had a MIN number on my card when the car was delivered but the interface was not installed. When they did install it the new sticker has no MIN. I tried the old MIN number on the card (I saved it before they pasted over it) but no luck. :bawling:

rhyme
04-22-2004, 09:14 AM
If anyone cares, I purchased my car 2/20 and I did have a MIN number. If you have the ESN #, it should be possible to call Verizon and ask them what the MIN # is.

Now for my total BMW newbie questions:

1) How do I use BMW assist? When I push the button all I hear is a ring followed by what sounds something like a modem and then nothing. I haven't called anyone to "activate" anything. Does anyone have a website or information on BMW Assist? I've looked and haven't been able to find a thing...

2) What does BMW Assist provide for you, and what do they charge?

3) Anyone know if calling this phone # is actually legal?

Edit -- oh ok supposedly I was supposed to sign something activating it when I bought the car. Calling dealer....

rhyme
04-22-2004, 11:13 AM
One other thing, just curious to know what other people area codes are... my phone is in the 404 area code.

dbock
04-22-2004, 11:43 AM
One other thing, just curious to know what other people area codes are... my phone is in the 404 area code.

My phone is also a 404(Atlanta) area code...I've never actually used assist...but it's there

mikemac
04-22-2004, 05:27 PM
If anyone cares, I purchased my car 2/20 and I did have a MIN number. If you have the ESN #, it should be possible to call Verizon and ask them what the MIN # is.

Now for my total BMW newbie questions:

1) How do I use BMW assist? When I push the button all I hear is a ring followed by what sounds something like a modem and then nothing. I haven't called anyone to "activate" anything. Does anyone have a website or information on BMW Assist? I've looked and haven't been able to find a thing...

2) What does BMW Assist provide for you, and what do they charge?

3) Anyone know if calling this phone # is actually legal?

Edit -- oh ok supposedly I was supposed to sign something activating it when I bought the car. Calling dealer....

Depending on what car you bought & what options, BMW assist may be included free for 1 year. It is on 3-series with the premium option pkg, for example. If it is included, your dealer should have had you fill out a form when you went to get your car and had it activated.

MBR87
04-22-2004, 07:24 PM

Yea, I have a 404 too...its in Georgia

ysp1
04-26-2004, 09:35 AM
i found the min # too and it works....so when i enter my car now, i just forward my cellphone calls to the min #!! Any word on the charges for this, if any?

st_o_p
04-27-2004, 08:53 AM
For the people that have the bluetooth card - does the ESN# on it has anything to do with the MIN# - like same digits or something?

I didn't get a bluetooth card, and after asking the dealership got the document from the last Assist recall. It has the ESN# of the replaced and the new module, as well as some other numbers, but no MIN.

The ESN starts with 146-0 and then 7-digit number that can be a phone number without the area code. I'll try the combinations I can think of, but if it has nothing to do with the MIN I don't that's going to work. And the dealership says they don't have anything else/

Orange_Bimmer
04-28-2004, 06:56 AM
E60 530i has new software Version 11. It can show the MIN # according to the Assist customer service person. Old Version 10.2 didn't show it.

It is Assist policy not to disclose the number to the customer except for the dealer.

So if you are very nice, the customer service person may let you know of the MIN #.

Orange_Bimmer
05-04-2004, 09:02 PM
Those who knows MIN#, DO NOT UPGRADE THE SOFTWARE TO V. 11.

My TCU has been working up to V.10.2 but after upgrading V.11.0, it stop working.

As a result, even if you have working MIN# you can't call in the car any more.

According some tech, there were many complains to BMW that innocent people get sudden tele-marketing call while driving. And also BMW get bills for the calls. So they've disabled the feature.

If you are confortable to use the fee call in, it is better not to upgrade to V. 11.

I made a mistake. It seems that I can't down grade anymore. :cry:

Magna
05-04-2004, 10:54 PM
Those who knows MIN#, DO NOT UPGRADE THE SOFTWARE TO V. 11.

My TCU has been working up to V.10.2 but after upgrading V.11.0, it stop working.

As a result, even if you have working MIN# you can't call in the car any more.

According some tech, there were many complains to BMW that innocent people get sudden tele-marketing call while driving. And also BMW get bills for the calls. So they've disabled the feature.

If you are confortable to use the fee call in, it is better not to upgrade to V. 11.

I made a mistake. It seems that I can't down grade anymore. :cry:

How do you find out what software version you have?

TCU = ?

Thanks for the info!

Magna
05-07-2004, 10:01 PM
I tried calling my MIN number, my call didn't go through--a Verizon message comes on. In another post, I read that the new software version disables gettting incoming calls. I guess I must have the new software.

Orange_Bimmer
05-08-2004, 03:42 PM
Up to V.10.2 we could call in the MIN #. After V.11, this function has been deactivated.
So yours must have been updated already.
As far as I konow, there is no newer version that can use MIN call in feature.
You don't lose anything so please try it and let us know if it start working or not.

Orange_Bimmer
05-08-2004, 03:47 PM
How do you find out what software version you have?

TCU = ?

Thanks for the info!

When I installed the eject box for CPT9000, it the dealer installed v.10.2.
I heard v.11 has improvement so I have waited and asked the dealer to install the new one.
There is no way of knowing the software version from the menu.

The dealer may be able to identify your software version.

TCU: TeleCommunication Unit

Magna
05-08-2004, 04:02 PM
When I installed the eject box for CPT9000, it the dealer installed v.10.2.
I heard v.11 has improvement so I have waited and asked the dealer to install the new one.
There is no way of knowing the software version from the menu.

The dealer may be able to identify your software version.

TCU: TeleCommunication Unit

well, i must have v11 because i tried to call my MIN and got a Verizon recording.
:cry:

photo2000a
05-09-2004, 12:38 PM
well, i must have v11 because i tried to call my MIN and got a Verizon recording.
:cry:

my car was built 3/04 tried callng the min cant call myself just get the verizon recording , i guess i have the new software darn :mad:

guess i will hve to wait for the bt kit to work w/asst double darn

16hr Day
07-19-2004, 07:52 AM
my car was built 3/04 tried callng the min cant call myself just get the verizon recording , i guess i have the new software darn :mad:

guess i will hve to wait for the bt kit to work w/asst double darn

:stupid: :cry:

turbo38sfi
08-05-2004, 07:35 AM
congratulations...welcome to a group of select freeloaders...isn't it great that you can get free incoming calls...and bmw picks up the tab? Hopefully it lasts

I have an 04 M3 and this has happened to me 2x! I asked the guy the ph. number but didnt' right it down and crossed a number dammit! This will last as long as you pay for Assist I am betting. I don't know why bmw would not include speech dial like GM does with OnStar. I have an 02 Tahoe that I can use as a phone w/speech recognition dialing.

turbo38sfi
08-05-2004, 07:47 AM
Has anyone confirmed if the MIN# is on any labels of any components located in the trunk or any other place? I didnt' drive the M today, will have to look tonight if I have a BT Card or not in my manuals.

turbo38sfi
08-05-2004, 06:57 PM
What a bummer....just checked my BT card and no MIN# :cry:

It's got a ESN # and some 8411169 bla bla across the top that doesn't appear to be a tel. ph. #. I will try it, but it doesn't look promising. Wish I knew someone that worked at a dealership...

jh
08-06-2004, 10:03 AM
i, too, have had a wrong number, just one more reason to hate assist.
i've never seen any literature that had any kind of phone number on it.
it seems to me bluetooth is far more useful than assist, which is mandatory on premium pack cars -- a useless feature for anyone with a cellphone.
it makes bluetooth, satellite radio installations difficult. it has a silly antenna ... and on and on... i don't like it.

0BMW
08-08-2004, 03:04 AM
Hi,

I just got an '04 525i Fully Loaded and has the BT card without a MIN# on it. But I tried the number after 84.11 the on top of the sticker on the card upto the -01. It is 7 digits and when paired up with 404 for the area code, rings int to a Verizon Wireless Message Center. I am assuming that is the phone number for the car, but I must have the new software blocking the calls, since I just got my car 2 days ago.

Does anybody with the MIN# have the same 7 digits where I explained, as they have in their MIN#?

BTW, BMW Assist has come pretty close to OnStar. You can even get full navigation including finding, locating and directing you to any pont of interest for 4.95 per use. They were talking about making it into an annual plan with unlimited usage, but then again that is at least one step closer to having outgoing voice dial through BMw Assist.

walendvay
08-10-2004, 12:03 PM
Is this true? Can some please check?

ChadS
08-10-2004, 01:41 PM
Is this true? Can some please check?Is what true? :dunno:

walendvay
08-10-2004, 03:03 PM
Does anybody with the MIN# have the same 7 digits where I explained, as they have in their MIN#?

Puck
08-10-2004, 09:53 PM

I picked up my 330Ci last Thursday, and the Bluetooth Passkey PK* card was in the trunk with the DVD Navigation and BMW video. The ESN# and MIN# do not match, at least on my card. My MIN# starts with 609, so this must not be Atlanta. I just tried to call the number and received the Verizon Wireless message, so I'm outta luck. On the top right corner of the sticker on the Passkey card, it says 11.06.2004, so I'm guessing this is probably the version of software, and not the date (6/11/2004). :cry:

DANG!!!! :mad:

-Puck

chris_1001
08-11-2004, 06:44 AM
I have the BMW Assist, and found the BT card in my manual pouch. The MIN# was covered by another sticker, but holding it up to the light reveled the MIN#, I called it only to get the Verizon message... Darn!

staggerlee
08-12-2004, 01:55 PM
I have the BMW Assist, and found the BT card in my manual pouch. The MIN# was covered by another sticker, but holding it up to the light reveled the MIN#, I called it only to get the Verizon message... Darn!
I got my 2004 330Ci 2 weeks ago. My BT card had the number with a 609 area code as well. I called it and got thru no problem. If the key isn't on in the car you will get the Verizon message.

Puck
08-12-2004, 08:25 PM
I got my 2004 330Ci 2 weeks ago. My BT card had the number with a 609 area code as well. I called it and got thru no problem. If the key isn't on in the car you will get the Verizon message.

Hmmmm.......I only tried one time, so maybe I'll have to try different times of the day for a couple days. If it doesn't work, I wish Verizon would make a deal with BMW to allow us to use Assist as a phone. I don't mind having to use the knob to get to each number instead of little buttons......voice activation would be even better!!!

Thanks for the head's up Staggerlee!!!

-Puck

Andrew*Debbie
08-29-2004, 07:47 AM
I picked up my 330Ci last Thursday, and the Bluetooth Passkey PK* card was in the trunk with the DVD Navigation and BMW video. The ESN# and MIN# do not match, at least on my card. My MIN# starts with 609, so this must not be Atlanta. I just tried to call the number and received the Verizon Wireless message, so I'm outta luck. On the top right corner of the sticker on the Passkey card, it says 11.06.2004, so I'm guessing this is probably the version of software, and not the date (6/11/2004). :cry:

DANG!!!! :mad:

-Puck

Top right corner is a date code. Our car was assembled at the end of 05/04, so 21.05.2004 could be the day the sticker was printed and put in our car.

I tried calling the min and someone else answered. Not my car :(

To the left of the date is a 7 character alphanumeric code KL6xxxx This could be a seven digit phone number. Haven't tried it yet....

Our card looks like this

KL6xxxx 21.05.2004
ESN:
146-023xxxxx
MIN:610937xxxx
PK:xxxx

610 937-xxxx is cellular/PCS in King of Prussia PA. Could be Verizon. Not my car.

404 556 xxxx (using the old phone letters to decode KL) is cellular/PCS in Atlanta. Could be verizon. I'll try this one later today.

We might have the wrong card. I should pull the CM and look for the ESN sticker.

ljh824
08-29-2004, 09:36 AM
I found the number, called it, and the phone was ringing in the car but I couldn't answer it. I hit every button imaginable to answer the call but it just kept rining. Any suggestions?

Andrew*Debbie
09-01-2004, 11:13 AM
To the left of the date is a 7 character alphanumeric code KL6xxxx This could be a seven digit phone number. Haven't tried it yet....

Our card looks like this

KL6xxxx 21.05.2004
ESN:
146-023xxxxx
MIN:610937xxxx
PK:xxxx

610 937-xxxx is cellular/PCS in King of Prussia PA. Could be Verizon. Not my car.

404 556 xxxx (using the old phone letters to decode KL) is cellular/PCS in Atlanta. Could be verizon. I'll try this one later today.

We might have the wrong card. I should pull the CM and look for the ESN sticker.

610 937-xxxx is Bell Atlantic. Not it.

I tried 404 556 xxxx. No luck. Airtouch

609 556 xxxx is an ATX Telecom number. I thought I had it, but no luck.

609 937-xxxx is AT&T wireless :(

I could try all the 609 nx6 numbers assigned to ATX. Anyone know if ATX Telecom Services is related to the ATX Group that Contracts with BMW for Assist?

Just4Net
09-08-2004, 12:26 AM
I found the number, called it, and the phone was ringing in the car but I couldn't answer it. I hit every button imaginable to answer the call but it just kept rining. Any suggestions?

For my 330ci I pick up the phone call by pressing the "handset symbol" button on my steering wheel. Mine was a ED in October of last year and I have my MIN and works fine to dial in.

You do have to have the car accessories on to receive a call though I have found -- as some might say "Duhhh" but wasn't sure if it would ring otherwise.

Cheers,
David

ljh824
09-08-2004, 11:34 AM
Okay, got it. Found out that it wont work unless the car is running. When the car was off, the phone would ring, but you couldn't answer it. Was driving yesterday and had a 10 minute conversation with my wife through the car. I've seen this question before, but haven't seen an answer yet, does anyone know if we will get charged for this??? I'd like to continue to use this "hidden" feature, but I don't want to get a surprise phone bill one day. If anyone knows, I'd appreciate the info.

:thumbup:

Vonhasch
09-16-2004, 06:41 PM
Received a call over assist today (wrong number), surprised the $%#$ out of me, lady gave me the number she dialed (609) 923-xxxx. Unfortunetly she gave me the number she was trying to call not the number she did call :cry: . The number is for Bell Atlantic Nynex out of New Jersey. Hopefully someone will call me again so I can find out what the real number is. BTW my bluetooth card doesn't show anything that looks like a phone number let alone a 609.923 number. I'll get it next time!

jklevine
11-18-2004, 05:11 PM
Is the min# the number behind 84.11 - I have a 7 digit number after that and when I try it with a 404 area code it rings to a verison numbe that is no longer in service. Any ideas?