PDA

View Full Version : Questions about Precision Driving class

mtbscott
12-09-2003, 08:15 AM
I'm signed up for the Precision Driving class in Houston this Friday. I read the accounts from Atlanta and assume it will be a similar program here. Are the cars all automatics or do they throw in some with manuals also? I've also signed up two of my friend's teenaged sons for the youth class on Saturday, what can they expect during their four hours?

drmwvr
12-09-2003, 08:34 AM
I'm signed up for the Precision Driving class in Houston this Friday. I read the accounts from Atlanta and assume it will be a similar program here. Are the cars all automatics or do they throw in some with manuals also? I've also signed up two of my friend's teenaged sons for the youth class on Saturday, what can they expect during their four hours?

My wife and I attended the free class last Saturday. We drove 330i autos with sports packages. The only stick-shift cars were the M5s. I will have to say that the class was a blast and I am especially proud of how well my my wife (3 months pregnant with our third child) did. In our group of 10 (all others were men), she had the 5th best time :thumbup: One of the instructors was a women so I think she had a lot of fun with my wife. I highly recommend this school to anyone and plan on attending more in the future.

EDIT: I do not know what to tell you about the teenagers since I did not see any last weekend. However, I can not believe that they would have a bad time. Also, show up early since all of the current cars are on display (including a X3) and they have a great food and beverage spread.

Pic of my wife carving a tight corner :D

TAL2GK
12-10-2003, 11:56 AM
I'm not sure if its the same thing you are talking about ... but two years ago I attended a Precision Driving Class put on by BMW in my hometown of Buffalo. They set up three different road courses in the parking lot of Rich Stadium (Buffalo Bills' stadium). As I said at the time ... this was the most fun a guy could have with his clothes on!

I took the course in the 330xi the first time ... and later did a course in an X5. I got the best time in my group for the X5, and earned the coveted BMW winner's pylon!

At the time, the only BMW I was in a position to afford was the R1100R motorcycle I still currently own. The class was an eye-opener for me, though, as to why Bimmers are called the Ultimate Driving Machine - and it helped build some brand loyalty in me, that's for sure! :thumbup:To whomever makes those decisions in BMW's marketing department ... it worked ... I now have a deposit down on a brand new Z4 and am (hopefully) going to be taking delivery next week (just in time for snow in Buffalo, but I'm still excited!)

I didn't realize BMW was still doing these classes, though ... is there a website I can turn to, to find out where upcoming events will be? In either case, BMW ... bring it back to upstate NY!:bigpimp:

Spectre
12-10-2003, 01:21 PM
I didn't realize BMW was still doing these classes, though ... is there a website I can turn to, to find out where upcoming events will be? In either case, BMW ... bring it back to upstate NY!:bigpimp:You can find information on several of BMW's events here (http://www.bmwusa.com/Joy/EventsandPrograms/).

TAL2GK
12-10-2003, 01:53 PM

LDV330i
12-10-2003, 05:11 PM

The course driving was a blast. They put 3 people plus the professional driver in the car so that hurts performance a bit. :( Glad it wasn't my tires I was killing.:D

One the ladies in my class freaked during the ABS testing and asked to be taken out the car. :yikes: She spent the rest of the class watching us from the sidelines.

The class starts 30 mins later than stated on your registration. They want make sure you allow enough time to take of business, that gives you an opportunity to eat and drink what they have catered.

The entrance to the class is off the South Loop feeder between Fannin and Kirby.

mtbscott
12-12-2003, 04:48 PM
Way cool! Just got back from my afternoon session. The weather looked ominous all afternoon but it didn't start drizzling until we were done. We also had a woman in my car during the ABS braking thing that did one lap, then asked to get out. Because we were one person short, I got to do 2 extra laps in the relay race and ending up getting the winner's pylon but about .8 second. We did the ABS and initial laps in a 330 then did the relay race in a Z4. Then a friend and I took a 745i out for a spin. Had a great time, highly suggest it to anyone, I might even pop for one of the pay-for schools next time.