PDA

View Full Version : after mkt portable NAV?

mowgli
12-09-2003, 10:34 AM
anyone have expeirence with these? I am looking at the Magellan 500 or the Garmin unit? Thanks!

nealh
12-10-2003, 02:00 PM
anyone have expeirence with these? I am looking at the Magellan 500 or the Garmin unit? Thanks!

I bought a Garmin 2610 for my wife about 2 mo ago and we love it...The Magellan was not available and had no idea they were making one..I personally think the magellan looks nicer but the Garmin comes with everything including a remote..it has a bean bag mount which works great

I got mine at www.gpscity.com and highly recommend them..they are an authorized Garmin dealer(as I think Magellan as well)..very fast, friendly and excellent prices

I think you would very happy with the Garmin and I assume Magellan if it works like the units in Hertz cars...

Garmin 2610 works very well it does take a few seconds for it to register if you are off course but then redirects very fast...the voice instructions are very clear and easy to understand..also if you have a local Garmin dealer there is a 2650 model that can be hard wired into your car and has dead reckoning for that car..but can still be removed and used in another on...

I had no local Garmin delaer to have this done(you can not buy this one over the internet since it "requires" professional installation by hooking it up to speedometer in some way..it is important supposedly in Big cities with hih rise structures that can block the sat signal

I have found the directions to be very good and tracking is excellent...I agree almost all the time with the routes but there are time I would prefer hwy route which maybe longer but IMHO easier driviving..I think this type of preferred routing is true of any system..as we could both prefer different routes to same place