PDA

View Full Version : Would you use sheep skin cover?

JetBlack330i
12-11-2003, 07:45 AM
Are y'all fuzzy and warm towards sheep skin covers? Do you think they look cheesy or tacky?
I have leather sports seats; no seat warmers.
Some advantages I see:
decrease sliding in slipery leather the seat boasters are a bit wider than my ass. A thick cover decreases that width warm in winter (was told it feels less hot in summer) driver seat leather is wearing badlyWhat's your take?

PABS
12-11-2003, 08:41 AM
Absolutely not...we used to call this "***** fur"...it is a travesty to add covers in a BMW.

·clyde·
12-11-2003, 08:46 AM
from an earlier post...

My dad came home from work one day with sheepskin seat covers covering the front seats of his new car. He said that they were genuine sheepskin and that he had gotten a steal on them. We went to dinner that night in his car. Upon opening the door, I was almost overcome with the noxious fumes emenating from the sheepskins. My dad said that they would air out over the next couple days and it was nothing to worry about...but the smell never went away

Everyone in the family was pleading with him to get rid of them. He was a laughing stock at work. On and on. After about two months, they stunk just as bad as day one, but he had grown used to it and claimed that they didn't smell any more. :rolleyes:

One day around this time, there was a business trip that he had to take. His flight was early in the morning and he packed his suitcase the night before and left it by the front door. The trip was for some kind of boondoggle retreat (nothing important). After he went to bed, I removed the seatcovers and stuffed them in his bag. In the morning, I drove him to the airport in my car. I don't know how I kept a straight face during the drive. Later that day, the phone rang. I answered. I said, "Hello." My father's voice reached out of the earpiece with an angry, "Asshole." And he hung up.

When he got home a few days later, he said that he had left the seatcovers in the hotel room along with some of his clothes that had been touching the covers in his bag that had turned color.

Well, I think that the Galant was happy that I saved it from those seatcovers. It never gave me a moment of grief when I occasionally drove it over the next few years.

hockeynut
12-11-2003, 08:51 AM
I have the same concerns. I am very conscious of how I get in/out of the car and worry about the wear, esp on the side bolsters of the SP seats.

For the summer I just toss a towel under my arse, but that's about it. I think I am on the side of YES in the "is sheepskin tacky?" argument.

The Roadstergal
12-11-2003, 10:31 AM
I've seen applications where it looks good. :dunno: If I had leather seats, I'd get those for the wear and temperature factors alone.

Bruce128iC
12-11-2003, 11:11 AM
I'm ambivalent about sheepskin covers. I've seen cars where they look nice and cars where they look tacky. I had the sheepskin vests made by BMW in my former 323i and I think they looked good and were very comfy. :thumbup:

AB
12-11-2003, 11:17 AM
Oh so very early 80's. :thumbdwn:

nate
12-11-2003, 11:17 AM
T-a-c-k-y

JetBlack330i
12-11-2003, 02:21 PM
from an earlier post...

My dad came home from work one day with sheepskin seat covers covering the front seats of his new car. He said that they were genuine sheepskin and that he had gotten a steal on them. We went to dinner that night in his car. Upon opening the door, I was almost overcome with the noxious fumes emenating from the sheepskins. My dad said that they would air out over the next couple days and it was nothing to worry about...but the smell never went away

Everyone in the family was pleading with him to get rid of them. He was a laughing stock at work. On and on. After about two months, they stunk just as bad as day one, but he had grown used to it and claimed that they didn't smell any more. :rolleyes:

One day around this time, there was a business trip that he had to take. His flight was early in the morning and he packed his suitcase the night before and left it by the front door. The trip was for some kind of boondoggle retreat (nothing important). After he went to bed, I removed the seatcovers and stuffed them in his bag. In the morning, I drove him to the airport in my car. I don't know how I kept a straight face during the drive. Later that day, the phone rang. I answered. I said, "Hello." My father's voice reached out of the earpiece with an angry, "Asshole." And he hung up.

When he got home a few days later, he said that he had left the seatcovers in the hotel room along with some of his clothes that had been touching the covers in his bag that had turned color.

Well, I think that the Galant was happy that I saved it from those seatcovers. It never gave me a moment of grief when I occasionally drove it over the next few years.In conclusion, one should not use a stinking seat cover.
Are you saying all sheepskin covers stink? It couldn't be your father's sweat, since it stunk from day one. I don't quite get your point.
Maybe it's just me, but you sounded like you enjoyed being called an asshole by your own dad? :confused:

noflash
12-11-2003, 03:02 PM
Are y'all fuzzy and warm towards sheep skin covers? Do you think they look cheesy or tacky?
I have leather sports seats; no seat warmers.
Some advantages I see:
decrease sliding in slipery leather the seat boasters are a bit wider than my ass. A thick cover decreases that width warm in winter (was told it feels less hot in summer) driver seat leather is wearing badlyWhat's your take?

Don't worry about looks so much. I have a pair of real sheepskin covers and they are a godsend. Tackiness is usually very near cheapness. Real ones are not cheap. Go for it. Don't listen to the sheep-o-phobes -- they must've had a bad farm experience or comething. ;)

JonW
12-11-2003, 03:11 PM
clyde-

excellent story :thumbup:

this part is really funny:
I don't know how I kept a straight face during the drive.

bluer1
12-11-2003, 03:36 PM
Great story clyde!

Nix on the sheepskin, latex is safer.
:angel:

·clyde·
12-11-2003, 03:43 PM
In conclusion, one should not use a stinking seat cover.
Are you saying all sheepskin covers stink? It couldn't be your father's sweat, since it stunk from day one. I don't quite get your point.
Maybe it's just me, but you sounded like you enjoyed being called an asshole by your own dad? :confused:
I suppose that you could call it a cautionary tale about the perils of using stinking sheepskin seatcovers. I do not mean to imply that all of them stink (actually, I've never smelled any others that were even close to those things).

Re: my father calling me an :asshole: all I can say is that in all honesty and sincerity I wish that everyone could have relationships with their parents that are as strong, healthy and just plain good as I have with mine. Dunno what else to say about it. :dunno:

JoeCinVa
12-11-2003, 04:49 PM
Consider the BMW sheepskin vests. They don't cover the seat entirely but they don't look tacky to my eyes. You can get a picture of those on circle and pacific bmw. Also, yes they are warm in winter and cool in summer and really do a good job at extending the longevity of the leather. My 3 1/2 year old 323i seats look great on those occassions when I don't have the vests on.

Wingboot
12-11-2003, 05:38 PM
What's your take?

Since you asked........my 2 cents......

No, I would not use them. I’m not telling you not to use them, just that I would not use them.

I wouldn’t use a “bra” on the front of the car either.

These things are not offensive to me on older cars. Although I never really understood the “bra” thing. Don’t they rub off the paint they are supposed to be protecting over time? Who wants to bother putting it on and taking it off for long trips?

Back to the sheep skins. When I go to Germany in spring for my year long assignment I would leave them on an older car if it comes with them. I think the benefits you mentioned are real.

When I was in Germany in the 80’s I rode in cars with them and they were quite good.

A fur coat may have lots of benefits but I wouldn’t wear one, it’s not fashionable anymore.

DevExpert
12-11-2003, 06:01 PM
clyde, great story, you made my day man! Thanks!

from an earlier post...

Well, I think that the Galant was happy that I saved it from those seatcovers. It never gave me a moment of grief when I occasionally drove it over the next few years.

e28Will
12-11-2003, 06:36 PM
The sheep skins work. Wool naturally wicks moisture thus providing that cooling function and the pile helps to trap some heat in during the winters to keep you warm. It's the same reason why wool socks and sweaters work.

I guess it's personal preference as to whether or not to use them. If function is valued over fashion, get them, but if YOU (not anyone else) thinks that it's too tacky, then don't. and if you can't decide one way or another, save that money.

JetBlack330i
12-11-2003, 06:51 PM
I guess it's personal preference as to whether or not to use them. If function is valued over fashion, get them, but if YOU (not anyone else) thinks that it's too tacky, then don't. and if you can't decide one way or another, save that money.The issue is not one of lack of self confidence. I would have no problems using one on the driver's seat.
However, I don't think it looks good on one seat. If I were to use it, it has to be on both seats.
I go out to lunch many times a week. We have a lunch bunch and we share driving. Net, I often carry passengers in my car. Sometimes the group is so that we have to drive several cars. So far, I've not noticed anyone choosing not to go in my car (that does happen to other members of the group).
My question can be viewed as... if you were to ride in a car with sheepskin, would you think it's tacky and would you choose to seat in the back?

MMME30W
12-11-2003, 07:39 PM
I guess I don't see the debate.

Sure, el cheapo Wal Mart or Target seat covers are going to look -- well, cheap.

If you get high-quality seat covers, they are going to look good and fit right. But you are going to pay the going rate -- say $350 for a set of custom fit ones for the front.

I've had sheepskin covers over leather seats for the last six years (both on the MBZ and ZHP.)

I would frankly not drive without them.

They protect the seats from wear, dirt and abuse.
They are cool in the summer (I'm in Orlando, Fl) and warm in the winter.
They are replaceable i.e. when the get worn you simply ditch them and replace with a new set (and they make great doggie beds:))
If you pick an appropriate colour (say, grey, black, whatever) they look sharp and blend in to the car

I don't "get" the "tacky" arguments, frankly; I just don't even think twice about it. So when were they tacky? What is the source of the "tackiness" association? 70's pimp mobiles? What? In Europe when I was growing up (60s) lots of cars had all kinds of covers on the seats and on the floor (anyone else remember black and red cocoa mats?) of the car...

Just my 0.02 worth...ws

Wingboot
12-12-2003, 03:08 PM
I don't "get" the "tacky" arguments, ...

In Europe when I was growing up (60s) lots of cars had all kinds of covers on the seats and on the floor (anyone else remember black and red cocoa mats?) of the car...

The 60s? Bell bottom pants were not tacky then either :)

Some people still like bell bottom pants and big collars too so it surely is a matter of taste.

MMME30W
12-12-2003, 04:21 PM
The 60s? Bell bottom pants were not tacky then either :)

Some people still like bell bottom pants and big collars too so it surely is a matter of taste.

Yes, agree 100%, which was my point. Its up to whoever to decide, not the teeming masses.

I think they look fine...peace.

AndDown
12-13-2003, 11:12 AM
Just get the Hawaiian-print seatcovers - they're in style now :rofl: Sharka, bro :)

phrider
12-13-2003, 09:02 PM
Consider the BMW sheepskin vests. They don't cover the seat entirely but they don't look tacky to my eyes. You can get a picture of those on circle and pacific bmw. Also, yes they are warm in winter and cool in summer and really do a good job at extending the longevity of the leather. My 3 1/2 year old 323i seats look great on those occassions when I don't have the vests on.I second your opinion, as applied to the M Roadster sport seats. You have the benefit of the leather seat bolsters, but the warmth in winter/ sweat management in summer from the seat vest.

HappyG
12-13-2003, 10:09 PM
Make sure to get high quality ($$$) skins if you plan on purchasing them. A good friend of mine has them in his denali and it makes sitting shotgun that much better. Cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter. I believe they were made in New Zealand. As for looks, IMO, it all depends on the color of the interior.

Riuster
05-21-2004, 08:17 AM
how about the sheepskin vests....BMW OEM, Any pics around....my leather seats are taking abuses....I dont see any other lush alternative.

Please post a pic of your sheep vest..thanks

Riuster
05-21-2004, 08:27 AM
I guess I don't see the debate.

Sure, el cheapo Wal Mart or Target seat covers are going to look -- well, cheap.

If you get high-quality seat covers, they are going to look good and fit right. But you are going to pay the going rate -- say $350 for a set of custom fit ones for the front.

I've had sheepskin covers over leather seats for the last six years (both on the MBZ and ZHP.)

I would frankly not drive without them.

They protect the seats from wear, dirt and abuse.
They are cool in the summer (I'm in Orlando, Fl) and warm in the winter.
They are replaceable i.e. when the get worn you simply ditch them and replace with a new set (and they make great doggie beds:))
If you pick an appropriate colour (say, grey, black, whatever) they look sharp and blend in to the car

I don't "get" the "tacky" arguments, frankly; I just don't even think twice about it. So when were they tacky? What is the source of the "tackiness" association? 70's pimp mobiles? What? In Europe when I was growing up (60s) lots of cars had all kinds of covers on the seats and on the floor (anyone else remember black and red cocoa mats?) of the car...

Just my 0.02 worth...ws

Love your comment, you sure have experience, I want the sheepskin vests, did you ever use these?

yamato
05-21-2004, 10:26 AM
I bascially do not like sheep skin on anything.

Riuster
05-21-2004, 10:28 AM
I bascially do not like sheep skin on anything.

how about a beautiful naked woman on a sheepskin rug?

phrider
05-22-2004, 08:51 AM
how about the sheepskin vests....BMW OEM, Any pics around....my leather seats are taking abuses....I dont see any other lush alternative.

Please post a pic of your sheep vest..thanksBMW sheepskin seat saver ("vest"), photo borrowed from Circle BMW.

swchang
05-22-2004, 09:56 AM
how about a beautiful naked woman on a sheepskin rug?

That's something on sheepskin. He said he didn't like sheepskin on anything. :p

How about sheepskin condoms, yamato?

CascadeTelcom
05-22-2004, 04:45 PM
I use one BMW easy on and off seat cover on my driver's leather sport seat. No wear on the seat, no temperature problems and the price is right.

mjames
05-22-2004, 06:58 PM
All this about leather seats taking abuse makes me glad I have leatherette. :p

My seats look exactly the same as the day I got the car. :thumbup:

MMME30W
05-22-2004, 07:42 PM
All this about leather seats taking abuse makes me glad I have leatherette. :p

:thumbup:

You know if they had gray leatherette I'd probably have 'ette too...but somehow I've gotten used to the nice smell of the leather after putting on the Pinnacle...mmm...freshly oiled leather...mmmm.

But, yes, 'ette is the business no doubt!

woody underwood
05-22-2004, 09:36 PM
Had a set for the ix (gray to match the leather, was pretty) and still use them in my TR-6...very good for HOT weather, didn't use either when it was cold.

Pinecone
05-23-2004, 05:18 AM
None of our cars have them. I have had them in previous cars, and they were very nice. The biggest reason I don't have them in any cars right now is my priorities don't lie with spending the kind of money good ones cost for their benefits. I spend the money on other things.

But the do have a lot of advantages, and good ones (expensive) do not look tacking.

Another possibility of protecting the seats, and looking good are Wet Okole seat covers from Hawaii. I am consdiering a set for tracking to keep teh seats nicer.

MG67
05-24-2004, 09:20 AM
Yeah I'm really going to pull some "Grandpa" Furs over my $1,500 black leather... :eek: :yikes:

I don't think so!!!

The Roadstergal
05-24-2004, 09:23 AM

Vinyl and cloth are better suited to regularly having a tush on them, IMHO.

Riuster
05-24-2004, 11:12 AM
Yeah I'm really going to pull some "Grandpa" Furs over my $1,500 black leather... :eek: :yikes:

I don't think so!!!

but what if you sweat in your car...when its really hot, but dont want to turn the ac on...like one of those days..you just want to feel DRY heat..ya know...and your back gets ALL WET...ewwww...on yo foine leatha... :rofl:

MG67
05-24-2004, 05:46 PM
but what if you sweat in your car...when its really hot, but dont want to turn the ac on...like one of those days..you just want to feel DRY heat..ya know...and your back gets ALL WET...ewwww...on yo foine leatha... :rofl:
I shower everyday, do not sweat from any crevasses :eek: and ceartainly do not sweat on my back...:yikes: You from Kansas City...:dunno:

Riuster
05-24-2004, 09:32 PM
I shower everyday, do not sweat from any crevasses :eek: and ceartainly do not sweat on my back...:yikes: You from Kansas City...:dunno:

LMAOOOOO :rofl: :rofl: