PDA

View Full Version : Old vs. new?

whk
12-11-2003, 10:08 AM
I was just wondering if today's BMW's are better than say a 10 year old BMW. I suppose everything electronic is better, like Xenon lights or ABS brakes, but how about the suspension or the engine? Do new BMW's handle better than the old ones?

Mr. The Edge
12-11-2003, 03:31 PM
Today's BMW's are much better in terms of suspensions and engines compared with those of 10 years ago.

Wingboot
12-11-2003, 06:07 PM
If this is a real question, and not a joke or “flamebait”, I would have to assume that you have never driven a 10 year old car.

I don’t think it’s out of line to say that ALL cars are better than their counterparts were a decade ago. When I say “better” I mean by the numbers. “Better”, is highly subjective. There are people who swear that a 1974 __________is the best car ever built.

But in general terms cars get better suspensions, brakes, engines, interior comforts, ergonomics, safety features, etc. as the years go by.

That being said, I would speculate that a 1994 M3 would handle better than a 2004 3er. I think if one compares the same model BMW it is substantially better in all categories, except styling perhaps, than its decade old sibling. That is part of “Marketing 101”, bigger, better, faster, more economical, etc.

Yes, the engines and suspensions are better than 10 years ago……..

whk
12-11-2003, 06:24 PM
If this is a real question, and not a joke or “flamebait”, I would have to assume that you have never driven a 10 year old car.

It is a real question! Maybe a completely naive one, but yes it is real. If you think about how technology progresses, it is usually the computer stuff that gets faster and cheaper, not the mechanical stuff. Perhaps cars use ceramics or exotic alloys to save some weight, but something as (seemingly) straightforward as a car's suspension, it's hard to imagine that people are coming up with significant improvements.

I have driven a 10 year old car, my 1990 Honda Civic, and before it my 1969 Cutlass Supreme (a 350 cubic inch = 5.7 liter testament to American engineering). You are right though in a sense, I've never driven a 10 year old car that was considered to be really nice in its prime.

The Roadstergal
12-11-2003, 08:08 PM
Old cars tend to be good for what you can do to them. You buy an old car and make it what you want. You buy a new car and it is better at what it was designed to do.

Another Bwob quote is that the NB is a better car, but the NA was a better Miata. I think a lot of BMW folk feel the same about BMWs. ;)

Chris90
12-11-2003, 09:14 PM
Whenever I drive a 10 year old car, I'm amazed at how alive it feels - you can feel sensations through the steering wheel and seats, you can hear the engine and exhausts - new cars, including BMWs, feel so dead. They are faster, smoother, quieter, and corner faster, yet they are so uninvolving. Going 90 mph in a new Audi S4 feels the same as going 30 mph in a Miata. I think it's why cars have so much HP these days, cause otherwise they'd be completely boring to drive.

PABS
12-12-2003, 01:17 PM
I disagree..there are 10 year old cars better than new cars...

Is a 10 year old BMW better than a new one is probably a matter of opinion...Is my 1995 E34 worse than E60..no

Does the E60 have newer or different technology..sure..does it handle better or outaccelerate my E34..no (yes I've driven an E60)

I have a 1970 914-6 that still handles better than just about anything on the road...and considering it is a very light car it can also out accelerate most anything even if it only has a 2.0l engine..

So any way..this is a very subjective topic...YMMV