PDA

View Full Version : Why use seatcovers?

AComp
12-12-2003, 06:47 PM
Hey All! This my first post in this awesome forum. I'm a future BMW owner, and an earlier thread got me thinking...

I'm still undecided about purchasing leather vs. leatherette, but really like the look and feel of the leather. So, my question is; if I spend the $$ for leather, why would I put seatcovers over them?
Please, this is not meant as a personal "attack" of someone's decision. It's more like a "things that make you go "hmmm""type of question.

I use seatcovers in the vehicle I drive now (fabric seats). Put them on so they'd "stay good as new". :)
My thinking lately is; Part of me says; protect your investment, and keep it new looking as long as possible. Another part says; I'm going to be buying the car of my dreams, brand new, so why to I want to cover it up? Especially if I get leather seats. Covers would take away from the whole look and feel of the seats and interior.
Wouldn't you use seat covers as the car ages, and if/when the seats are worn?

The Roadstergal
12-12-2003, 06:57 PM
If I had leather seats, I would want to cover them with something that I don't slide on. Vinyl is pretty slick, too, though not as much so... Also, leather is hot in the summer and cold in the winter. Seat covers mitigate that.

A friend of mine has <a href=http://www.wetokole.com/>Wet Okole</a>, and they feel pretty good. But I have a thing for cloth seats. :)

JetBlack330i
12-12-2003, 07:44 PM
Hey All! This my first post in this awesome forum. I'm a future BMW owner, and an earlier thread got me thinking...

I'm still undecided about purchasing leather vs. leatherette, but really like the look and feel of the leather. So, my question is; if I spend the $$ for leather, why would I put seatcovers over them?
Please, this is not meant as a personal "attack" of someone's decision. It's more like a "things that make you go "hmmm""type of question.

I use seatcovers in the vehicle I drive now (fabric seats). Put them on so they'd "stay good as new". :)
My thinking lately is; Part of me says; protect your investment, and keep it new looking as long as possible. Another part says; I'm going to be buying the car of my dreams, brand new, so why to I want to cover it up? Especially if I get leather seats. Covers would take away from the whole look and feel of the seats and interior.
Wouldn't you use seat covers as the car ages, and if/when the seats are worn? I think I'm the author of that other thread you refer to.
My car is 3 years old. The seats are showing wear signs. Part of the reason is, as you guessed, protect the resale value. The other part is for confort. Winter is here and leather is cold. My buns are very sensitive.

xspeedy
12-12-2003, 08:59 PM
Get the leatherette. What's the point of having leather if you are going to just cover it anyway? The 'ette will look quite a bit like leather and is more durable. Save yourself the money on the leather, and on the covers.

AComp
12-13-2003, 06:43 AM
Thanks for the replies. Funny, I can see the logic in both points of view. Decisions, decisions... :)

xspeedy
12-13-2003, 07:16 AM
Thanks for the replies. Funny, I can see the logic in both points of view. Decisions, decisions... :)

Another point. Even if you cover your leather, depending on the type or quality of cover, some dust and dirt will find its way through. Also, as you move around in your seat, I'm sure the cover will slide against the leather to some extent, resulting in wear that way. So while it may protect against some soiling, it might not protect against abrasion. You'll need to find a cover that has a very soft internal lining.

Homer123
01-14-2004, 03:02 PM
http://www.nwautoleather.com/nwautoleather/images/popups/bmw/325ci-01.jpg
Northwest Automotive Leather (http://www.nwautoleather.com)
info@nwautoleather.com :D
Check these guys out. They're manufacturers of custom aftermarket leather interiors. Their interiors for BMW's run about $695us. As far as cleaning, twice a year max. They offer over 500 leather colors, AND they have Alcantera as well.
Cheers

AugieMarch
01-14-2004, 04:17 PM
Wouldn't you use seat covers as the car ages, and if/when the seats are worn?

The "protect the investment argument" is silly. If you really want to protect the investment, don't get leather and invest the money you have saved. ;) Or just buy a cheaper used car. Buying a BMW doesn't make sense financially anyway. The only reason to buy a BMW is to enjoy the car. So no covers.

Leatherette is rather good or maybe I should say that the BMW Montana leather is not very good. In any case there's no much difference between them.

Personally I love my leather. It gets cold in winter but that's what heated seats are for and in summer it doesn't get that hot around here.

euro-d
10-01-2004, 10:11 AM
What's the best place to get custom fit cloth seatcovers for an X3 (not sheepskin)?

marcio
10-01-2004, 10:45 AM
I'm still undecided about purchasing leather vs. leatherette, but really like the look and feel of the leather.

Why don't you first start by actually looking and feeling the leather and leatherette?! It's obvious you've never seen or felt them side by side.

marcio
10-01-2004, 10:51 AM
Forgot the question being asked: no, I never use seat covers. I find the whole idea to use seat covers to protect seats silly. And when they get old, I'd rather re-upholster them.