PDA

View Full Version : Just had my lock cylinder popped in DC...

WDC330i
12-13-2003, 08:08 AM
...and I have an alarm. I've had a 3-series for four years and this is the first time. In fact, this is the first time in my 27 years of owning a car in the District and Maryland that I've had someone try to steal my car....

I'd switch the handle for the British lefty with no cylinder, but there are areas in DC where the remote system doesn't work. Around Tenleytown, for some reason. A transmission tower problem, I think...

Of course they gouged the paint on the handle during their fruitless exercise. I was all over Northwest yesterday and my home in Maryland, so no telling exactly where it happened. It's hard to notice on a Jet Black car...

Does anyone have an idea what this repair costs?

WDC330i
12-16-2003, 06:35 AM
Update: FYI around $200 to replace lockset and surrounding part. PITA. I hope the miscreant has learned the car is not an easy steal.

ObD
12-16-2003, 09:28 AM
That sucks. They usually are looking for a spare key or the leather covered owners manual in the glove box. Looks like the $35 sheckles that I paid for a keylock cover was a bargain. Since I have the .pdf version of the owners manual on my pocket PC I don't need to carry it in the car. $5 disposable camera is the only thing in the glove box. :D

jw
12-16-2003, 09:53 AM
That sucks. They usually are looking for a spare key or the leather covered owners manual in the glove box. Looks like the $35 sheckles that I paid for a keylock cover was a bargain. Since I have the .pdf version of the owners manual on my pocket PC I don't need to carry it in the car. $5 disposable camera is the only thing in the glove box. :D
Hmm.. note to self. Remove valet key from armrest. :bigpimp:

WDC330i
12-16-2003, 10:58 AM
I hear some folks in car-theft-crazy NJ just leave a sign in the window saying "No Valet Key." Like the old days in Manhattan when everyone had a sign: "No radio in car."

I read somewhere, though, that cars with manual transmissions are stolen less frequently than those with automatics. The little 12 year-olds who do the thieving can't drive sticks. That may account for why this is the first attempt I've had among my five manual trans. cars.

Mig29
12-16-2003, 11:29 AM
Happened to me this year.
Order the new lock from the dealer ~$50 and replace it yourself.
It's almost easier then replacing a light bulb.
Remove one screw
pull the remains of the cylinder out,
detach the cover,
put the cover on the new lock
slide the new lock in
put the screw in.

Don't let scamming dealers touch it, goddamned Princeton BMW tried to make it a $1100 job.

BlackChrome
12-16-2003, 02:03 PM
That sucks. They usually are looking for a spare key or the leather covered owners manual in the glove box...
WTF? So now I have to worry about people to break in my car to get my "leather covered" owner's manual? What's next? My carpeted floor mats? :thumbdwn:

I read somewhere, though, that cars with manual transmissions are stolen less frequently than those with automatics. The little 12 year-olds who do the thieving can't drive sticks. That may account for why this is the first attempt I've had among my five manual trans. cars.
That makes sense since anyone can drive a car with an automagic tranny!

teamdfl
12-16-2003, 06:56 PM
Some dealer in NJ was delivering cars with the small plastic wallet key in the owners manual a couple years ago. The thieves figured out that it is really easy to steal a BMW when the dealer puts a key in the glove box and the manufacturer makes the door lock out of recycyled beer cans. The rash of break-ins from thieves looking for the wallet key seems to have died down because people finally figured out that they should take the key out of the glove box. BMW NA caught a bunch of heat for all the popped door locks in their own back yard but all they did was hand out free "NO KEY INSIDE" stickers.

When they popped my door lock, they did some sheetmetal damage. It cost me about $800 for the repair.

If anyone knows which dealer was leaving keys in the owners manual, please let me know. I need to explain something to the sales manager with a blow torch and crowbar.

Ed

Lock Damage (http://www.teamdfl.com/stuff/popped_door_lock.jpg)

WDC330i
12-17-2003, 06:08 AM
Geez. The fiends brutalized your car. My sympathies to you. At least my damage was confined to the cylinder and door handle....Maybe they've just become more expert at the attempt.

ruteger
12-17-2003, 07:00 AM
If anyone knows which dealer was leaving keys in the owners manual, please let me know. I need to explain something to the sales manager with a blow torch and crowbar.Close, but here is the proper quote (in its entirety):

"What now? Let me tell you what now. I'ma call a coupla hard, pipe-hittin' ******s, who'll go to work on Holmes here with a pair of pliers and a blow torch. You hear me talkin' hillbilly boy? I ain't through with you by a damn sight. I'ma get medieval on your ass!"

-From Pulp Fiction

BMWNA
12-18-2003, 01:16 PM
I'm with BMW of North America, LLC. I'm so sorry to read of your recent break-in. Most break-ins occur when thieves are either looking for a spare key or valuables left in a vehicle. Without a key BMWs are practically theft resistant. As far as we know the only way that a vehicle can be readily moved is by tow truck or flat bed trailer. BMW has one of the finest security and anti-theft systems in the industry.

A determined thief can break into any vehicle. With this in mind, the designers of vehicle security systems have to develop a car that is secure enough to discourage the casual thief, while keeping the cost of repair damage within reasonable limits. A broken window or a pulled out lock cylinder can be repaired without too much expense, the more reinforcement is put into the car the higher the repair cost in case of a break-in. To be as safe as possible never leave the spare or wallet key in the car and dont have a remote starter installed, as that necessitates disabling the electronic drive away protection built into every BMW. This would enable someone who gets into the car to get it started and drive it away as the security codes have been compromised.

Never leave valuables visible from the outside. If you must leave something in the vehicle, leave it hidden in the luggage compartment where it will at least be out of sight.

The 1 " square adhesive is now available from BMW of North America, LLC. We recommend putting it on your window to further discourage a potential thief. To receive your free adhesives please contact us at (800) 831-1117 or at NOKEYS@bmwusa.com with your mailing address, Vehicle Identification Number and the amount so we can send them out immediately.