PDA

View Full Version : the dealer gave me ants!!

miami323
12-13-2003, 09:54 PM
Ok, here is a new one for you, I got my car back from the dealer last week for its 50,000 mile inspection ... and the car was infested with ants .... those little ones that dont bite, but they are everywhere, i told my service rep and he cleaned them off, for the moment .. they are everywhere... any ideas on how to get rid of them.. I dont want to just spray a can of raid everywhere, and those ant traps dont work... i sat and watched them for 20 minutes lastnight (not a one went in).... and i have done a total clean job since - on the inside and out thinking they were temporary but they are still there!!! AHHH

Plaz
12-13-2003, 10:00 PM
That blows! :thumbdwn:

I don't know, man, maybe you'll have to get it "bombed" like they do with moving vans. I'm sure it would take a couple of weeks to air that toxic crap out, but those little suckers would be goner than George Washington.

It would probably take care of any mildew-y A/C smell, too, though. :rofl:

miami323
12-13-2003, 10:04 PM
or is there a place that cleans your car for something like that ,..... should i ask the dealer where to go .. im on the verge of going back there and saying "you did this .. now u fix it ... ".... and they are mainly on the outside .. i think they are under my body pannels ...

Plaz
12-13-2003, 10:06 PM
Did you check to see if someone left a half of a hamburger or something in the engine compartment?

Terry Kennedy
12-13-2003, 10:07 PM
Ok, here is a new one for you, I got my car back from the dealer last week for its 50,000 mile inspection ... and the car was infested with ants .... those little ones that dont bite, but they are everywhere, i told my service rep and he cleaned them off, for the moment .. they are everywhere... any ideas on how to get rid of them..Check very carefully for some food in the car. There aren't many types of ants in the US that would eat the materials found in a car, so they probably came in for food.

It is also unlikely that there is a nest in there (how long did the dealer have the car for?) so the ants are probably confused as to where their nest went, since you moved the car.

If you remove the food, they should leave on their own.

Edit: You say they're under the body panels? The lower trim on both sides is plastic and pops off. There is often a lot of dirt, leaves, etc. under this, behind the front tires. Look there.

miami323
12-13-2003, 10:12 PM
The dealer had the car for 6 days ... thats what i was thinking too .. about them not having a nest .. but i did some research .. they are white footed ants ..and like there are multple queens or something ... anyway .. yeah they seem to be coming from under the passenger side front quarter pannel ... not sure how to get in there ...

The Roadstergal
12-13-2003, 10:20 PM
I remember a woman calling in to Car Talk about little white spiders in her car. Their advice was to take it to a body shop and bake it under the heat lamps... :p

You need to find the source, though, as has been said. And I think the delership should help you in the getting-under-panels business... with you there, of course...

Man, that just makes my skin crawl. :eek:

miami323
12-13-2003, 10:26 PM
i like that heat lamp idea ... but these are Florida ants ... they will probably just laugh... and btw i did some reading (about the type of ants) and they said that they dont bring food back to the queen which is why they are so hard to get rid of .. cause they like get their own food ... weird..

Plaz
12-13-2003, 10:46 PM
If you have an enemy at work, park next to them and leave an Egg McMuffin in their wheelwell.

:rofl: :rofl:

(j/k, of course)

miami323
12-13-2003, 10:49 PM
I could just place a snickeres on the passenger seat and wait patiently with a can of raid .. .. haha

otto325ci
12-16-2003, 05:27 PM
I could just place a snickeres on the passenger seat and wait patiently with a can of raid .. .. haha

I'd say put it in a garage and Bomb it. Then just do a real thourough cleaning and get all the pesticide off.

JonW
12-16-2003, 05:54 PM
I remember a woman calling in to Car Talk about little white spiders in her car. Their advice was to take it to a body shop and bake it under the heat lamps.

I think I heard that call as well. (Car Talk is excellent. :thumbup: ) And I seem to recall their advice was to drive out to the country and, beside the car, make a beautiful picnic. With red and white blanket, a whole roasted chicken, some pie, etc. Open the car doors. Ants can't refuse a picnic. So all the ants will jump out of the car for the picnic. Then drive away really fast. :D OK, it may not really work, but I thought it quite amusing.

sdwolff
12-17-2003, 08:30 AM
I've had this problem with everyone of my cars. I think it has to do with the rain here in South Florida. They look for someplace to hide.

I take those square ant traps and place a couple under each seat. Takes a little time, but it gets rid of them.

After my car sat at home for a week, now i've got them in may car.

AB
12-17-2003, 08:33 AM
If you have an enemy at work, park next to them and leave an Egg McMuffin in their wheelwell.

:rofl: :rofl:

(j/k, of course)

:rofl:

Marco
12-17-2003, 09:36 AM
With my first car (an Austin IM3, we are talking prehistory here) once I run out of fuel. I used an empty oil can from a gas station to bring some fuel back to the car. After I went back to the station to fill er up, I was on my merry way... until the car stopped for no good reason in the middle of nowhere at night! After a while I got a lift home. Next day, back at the car, I found the carburators clogged with ANTS (that had been ejoying the oil in the can, I guess).

yamato
12-17-2003, 10:43 AM
Ok, here is a new one for you, I got my car back from the dealer last week for its 50,000 mile inspection ... and the car was infested with ants .... those little ones that dont bite, but they are everywhere, i told my service rep and he cleaned them off, for the moment .. they are everywhere... any ideas on how to get rid of them.. I dont want to just spray a can of raid everywhere, and those ant traps dont work... i sat and watched them for 20 minutes lastnight (not a one went in).... and i have done a total clean job since - on the inside and out thinking they were temporary but they are still there!!! AHHH

You may want to do an experiment, put some of them into the freezer and see if they die. If so, I think you may want to plan a trip to Canada this winter. Leave the car outdoor overnight and they should all die.

///ACS330Ci
12-17-2003, 02:09 PM
D@mn that's weird :confused:

Cadd
12-17-2003, 06:39 PM
Drive up north and leave your car out on the street for a day or two when it's 20 degrees out.

Or drive somewhere that is 100+ degrees and leave your car under the sun.

ChrisTO
12-24-2003, 12:12 PM
is there a smiliey for skin crawling? that is crazy!!!!

i can't even handle the odd spider in my car, forget ants!!! :eeps:

hope the dealer gets rid of them for you.