PDA

View Full Version : BMW News: Tragic Death of BMW NA Vice President Jack Pitney

JSpira
08-26-2010, 03:32 PM
I am saddened to report on the death of Jack Pitney.

BMW's official statement follows:

Woodcliff Lake, NJ – August 26, 2010… It is with great sadness that we inform you that Jack Pitney, BMW of North America Vice President of Marketing, was killed earlier today in a tragic accident while on vacation at his farm. We don’t have many further details to share with you at this time but wanted you to have the information as quickly as possible. As we learn more details, we will keep you informed.

JSpira
08-26-2010, 03:36 PM
I am saddened to report the untimely death of my friend and fellow BMW enthusiast Jack Pitney.

On behalf of my friends and colleagues in the automotive world, our sincerest condolences to his family, friends, and colleagues.

BMW's official statement follows:

Woodcliff Lake, NJ ***8211; August 26, 2010***8230;. It is with great sadness that we inform you that Jack Pitney, BMW of North America Vice President of Marketing, was killed earlier today in a tragic accident while on vacation at his farm. We don't have many further details to share with you at this time but wanted you to have the information as quickly as possible. As we learn more details, we will keep you informed.

MMME30W
08-26-2010, 03:37 PM
Wow. Very sorry to hear. :(

Fast Bob
08-26-2010, 04:00 PM
Tragic news indeed....

AzNMpower32
08-26-2010, 08:25 PM
Sorry to hear, very unfortunate indeed.

tim330i
08-26-2010, 08:49 PM
:(

JSpira
08-26-2010, 09:06 PM
:(

That sums up my reaction. I was on a conference call and, around 5:40 p.m. or so, received multiple e-mails from BMW corporate communications as well as a few e-mails from people I know at BMW - all at the same time.

Having known Jack for ages, I excused myself from the call when reality sank in.

Michael Schott
08-27-2010, 05:28 AM
Very sorry to here of his untimely passing. Thank you for sharing the news.

1985mb
08-27-2010, 09:27 AM
R.i.p.

JSpira
08-27-2010, 10:41 AM
<style type="text/css">body { margin: 0pt; padding: 0pt; }td, div { font-family: Tahoma; font-size: 11pt; vertical-align: top; }body { margin: 0pt; padding: 0pt; }.transcript { background-color: rgb(210, 210, 210); }.messageBlock { margin-left: 4px; margin-bottom: 3px; }.message { margin-left: 100px; word-wrap: break-word; }.messageCont { margin-left: 100px; word-wrap: break-word; }.other { color: rgb(57, 87, 122); vertical-align: top; font-weight: bold; font-style: normal; float: left; width: 95px; }.myself { color: rgb(218, 129, 3); font-weight: bold; font-style: normal; float: left; width: 95px; }.otherCont { font-size: 8px; text-align: right; color: rgb(57, 87, 122); font-family: Arial,Lucida Grande; font-style: normal; vertical-align: top; font-weight: bold; float: left; width: 95px; }.myselfCont { font-size: 8px; text-align: right; color: rgb(218, 129, 3); font-family: Arial,Lucida Grande; font-style: normal; vertical-align: top; font-weight: bold; float: left; width: 95px; }.system { margin-left: 4px; word-wrap: break-word; color: rgb(218, 129, 3); font-style: normal; font-weight: normal; }.showTimestamp { margin-right: 3px; float: right; color: rgb(153, 153, 153); font-style: normal; font-weight: normal; }.other1 { color: rgb(172, 32, 0); vertical-align: top; font-weight: bold; font-style: normal; float: left; width: 95px; }.otherCont1 { font-size: 8px; text-align: right; color: rgb(172, 32, 0); font-family: Arial,Lucida Grande; font-style: normal; vertical-align: top; font-weight: bold; float: left; width: 95px; }.other2 { color: rgb(60, 159, 168); vertical-align: top; font-weight: bold; font-style: normal; float: left; width: 95px; }.otherCont2 { font-size: 8px; text-align: right; color: rgb(60, 159, 168); font-family: Arial,Lucida Grande; font-style: normal; vertical-align: top; font-weight: bold; float: left; width: 95px; }.other3 { color: rgb(226, 86, 20); vertical-align: top; font-weight: bold; font-style: normal; float: left; width: 95px; }.otherCont3 { font-size: 8px; text-align: right; color: rgb(226, 86, 20); font-family: Arial,Lucida Grande; font-style: normal; vertical-align: top; font-weight: bold; float: left; width: 95px; }.other4 { color: rgb(11, 106, 200); vertical-align: top; font-weight: bold; font-style: normal; float: left; width: 95px; }.otherCont4 { font-size: 8px; text-align: right; color: rgb(11, 106, 200); font-family: Arial,Lucida Grande; font-style: normal; vertical-align: top; font-weight: bold; float: left; width: 95px; }.other5 { color: rgb(178, 50, 144); vertical-align: top; font-weight: bold; font-style: normal; float: left; width: 95px; }.otherCont5 { font-size: 8px; text-align: right; color: rgb(178, 50, 144); font-family: Arial,Lucida Grande; font-style: normal; vertical-align: top; font-weight: bold; float: left; width: 95px; }.other6 { color: rgb(2, 231, 199); vertical-align: top; font-weight: bold; font-style: normal; float: left; width: 95px; }.otherCont6 { font-size: 8px; text-align: right; color: rgb(2, 231, 199); font-family: Arial,Lucida Grande; font-style: normal; vertical-align: top; font-weight: bold; float: left; width: 95px; }.other7 { color: rgb(91, 50, 132); vertical-align: top; font-weight: bold; font-style: normal; float: left; width: 95px; }.otherCont7 { font-size: 8px; text-align: right; color: rgb(91, 50, 132); font-family: Arial,Lucida Grande; font-style: normal; vertical-align: top; font-weight: bold; float: left; width: 95px; }.tsDisplay { display: block; }</style> <table width="500px">

As promised, we have more information to share with you about the death of our dear friend and colleague, Jack Pitney.

According to the sheriff’s department in Greene County, NY, on Thursday afternoon (August 26) Jack was on his tractor at his farm in Durham. As he was trying to pull a tree stump from the ground, the tractor flipped with him still on board. The sheriff’s department arrived at 12:40 PM and Jack was pronounced dead at the scene. An autopsy is being performed today. Funeral arrangements are still incomplete.

Thoughts from BMW of North America President Jim O’Donnell:

Our words are wholly inadequate at this moment. All of us who knew Jack are still in shock and only beginning to realize how deeply we feel his loss. He was not just a creative powerhouse but a genuinely nice man who was much loved by all of us. Our thoughts of course are with his wife, five children and other family members. He loved them tremendously and they were his first priority. They are in our prayers.

The outpouring of messages from Jack’s many friends and media colleagues has touched us all and we are moved by the depth of feeling that is being expressed.

Jack had been in the office earlier this week and I know how excited he was looking forward to his new role heading BMW Group’s Eastern Region here in the U.S. Jack brought excitement and electricity to his work. And yes, he inspired those around him because of his infectious enthusiasm for BMW and his never-failing good humor. He leaves a great legacy here at BMW Group. His years in Communications prepared him for his groundbreaking role launching MINI with a style we had never seen before. As head of BMW Marketing, Jack personified the brand and the values that motivate us in this company. Being a true creative soul, Jack couldn’t wait for the next challenge and I personally was looking forward to seeing the innovations he would bring to his new role in Sales. All of us at BMW Group are in mourning over his loss. Our headquarters here in Woodcliff Lake is a very quiet place today as we all reflect on the loss of this good and wonderful man.</table>

DonnaBlackson
08-30-2010, 11:59 AM
Gosh, that is very sad news.... He lives on with us though, all of we BMW drivers out there, where he was and is a part of the car that we all drive.... so his legacy will be ever lasting.. my thoughts are with his friends and family and BMW NA who is mourning today...

Mark@EAC
08-30-2010, 01:53 PM
My sympathies go out to his friends and family. This just goes to show you that you never know when your time is coming.

adrian's bmw
09-01-2010, 09:47 AM
My deepest, heartfelt condolences to the Pitney family on this tragic loss. We've lost a dear colleague. Jack will be sorely missed. :(

BayAreaBimmer
01-13-2011, 04:24 PM
That sums up my reaction. I was on a conference call and, around 5:40 p.m. or so, received multiple e-mails from BMW corporate communications as well as a few e-mails from people I know at BMW - all at the same time.

Having known Jack for ages, I excused myself from the call when reality sank in.

Very sad news, he'll be in our hearts forever :(