PDA

View Full Version : CDs stuck in the CD changer

drbmw
12-14-2003, 11:47 PM
I'm wondering if anybody else has experienced this problem? My 2003 745Li CD changer just stopped ejecting the cartridge when the eject button was pushed. The thing is just jammed in there. I took it to my dealer, who after having the car for 6 hours, informed me that the technician could not service this problem, and just ordered me a whole new CD changer. The dealer will now swap out the two changers, and send the defective one to BMW, who will, I am hoping, fish out my 6 perfectly good CDs and send them back to my dealer, who will then get them back to me. Anybody else have this happen? Who manufactures the CD changer? Got to wonder about the quality, since I've only had my E65 for 2 months.:tsk::tsk::tsk:

hormazd
09-23-2004, 09:35 PM
Yup. Drove the Car for two weeks and 2000 miles in Europe. Played CDs all the time from the chnager with no problems. Drove home for the first time today and inserted CDs in the changer. They won't play and the magazine is stuck. Also noticed that I could see the track name before. Now it just says 'track #'. Also no radio station call signs, which was working before. I wonder if they changed software at the port.

kd2789mo
09-24-2004, 09:33 AM
I'm wondering if anybody else has experienced this problem? My 2003 745Li CD changer just stopped ejecting the cartridge when the eject button was pushed. The thing is just jammed in there. I took it to my dealer, who after having the car for 6 hours, informed me that the technician could not service this problem, and just ordered me a whole new CD changer. The dealer will now swap out the two changers, and send the defective one to BMW, who will, I am hoping, fish out my 6 perfectly good CDs and send them back to my dealer, who will then get them back to me. Anybody else have this happen? Who manufactures the CD changer? Got to wonder about the quality, since I've only had my E65 for 2 months.:tsk::tsk::tsk:

To begin, I recommend you contact another BMW dealership in your area, speak with the Service Manager, and inquire if he has a technician proficient with this task.
Your post indicates, the CD Changer swap will be made by the technician at your current dealership. Once the old (current) changer is removed and is 'in-hand', even though the technician may still not be able to eject the cartridge, he can remove the back cover of the changer, and easily recover your CD's prior to returning the defective changer to BMW.
Also, all CD Changers have a manual eject function, similar to the 'pin-hole' located on the face of a computer's CD. Inserting a thin device (usually a straightened paper-clip) will manually release the cassette locking device.
I learned this when it occurred in my '03 LS300. I waited several weeks to have the changer replaced, only to find out, another dealership could have repaired the problem in less than an hour. 2 weeks later, all my CD's showed up in the mail, well packaged and protected.

Mathew
01-13-2005, 05:17 PM
Also, all CD Changers have a manual eject function, similar to the 'pin-hole' located on the face of a computer's CD. Inserting a thin device (usually a straightened paper-clip) will manually release the cassette locking device.

Anyone know where the manual release is?