PDA

View Full Version : Bump Stops

Latte
12-15-2003, 01:27 PM
I've just recently installed Bilstein sport shocks, RD Sport Competition springs, and Ground Control RSM's on my E46 coupe. I have heard that some people have cut and somes removed the stock bump stops. Is this neccessary? I just swapped over the OEM bump stops to the Bilstein sports shocks. Do I need to cut or remove the bump stops?

TIA!

doeboy
12-15-2003, 02:13 PM
I've just recently installed Bilstein sport shocks, RD Sport Competition springs, and Ground Control RSM's on my E46 coupe. I have heard that some people have cut and somes removed the stock bump stops. Is this neccessary? I just swapped over the OEM bump stops to the Bilstein sports shocks. Do I need to cut or remove the bump stops?

TIA!

I think it might depend on how low you want to go. If you're hitting the bump stops, you'll know it. I didn't drop my car too much when my coilovers were installed (0.5" all around) and we didn't do anything to the bump stops... just swapped them over...

Latte
12-15-2003, 02:23 PM
I think it might depend on how low you want to go. If you're hitting the bump stops, you'll know it. I didn't drop my car too much when my coilovers were installed (0.5" all around) and we didn't do anything to the bump stops... just swapped them over...

Well the springs advertise a 55mm drop, right now it looks like it dropped about an inch, but I think it still needs to settle since I've just got them installed a day ago. I've tried to contact RD but Frederico is away in Europe right now. How can I be sure if it is riding on the bump stops?

doeboy
12-15-2003, 02:45 PM
Well the springs advertise a 55mm drop, right now it looks like it dropped about an inch, but I think it still needs to settle since I've just got them installed a day ago. I've tried to contact RD but Frederico is away in Europe right now. How can I be sure if it is riding on the bump stops?

I believe if you hit your bump stops you will feel and hear it when you hit a bump hard. It is significantly different sounding than when hitting a bump in the road normally. Usually sounds like aloud thud coming from where your suspension is. At least that's what it sounded like in every car I've heard hit bump stops.