PDA

View Full Version : Am I missing something?

Desertnate
12-15-2003, 03:31 PM
So there I was in my local dealer the other day (a joint dealership with Toyota) to get a part and thought I would stroll through their rather small showroom just for grins...

There sat a rather nice looking red Z4 with...with...cardboard cutouts of those those silly angels from the X5 commercial standing at each corner of the car and another sign praising the safety of X-drive. :rolleyes:

Now unless I have really missed the boat recently, I know there isn't an AWD Z4. Knowing the ingnorence of today's motoring public, I cannot imagine what their dealers are telling their potential victims.

Thank god I didn't buy my car there...

01silber
12-15-2003, 03:42 PM
LOL, I hate to talk about dealers, but when i went to look and test the z4, I was told that the 3.0 engine in it was much stonger and faster then the 3.0 in my 2001 3.0i Z3, when I said that Im pretty sure they are the same i was told on no this is brand new for the Z4 only

OBS3SSION
12-15-2003, 03:43 PM
Didn't you know? By taping the cutouts to the 4 corners of any car, you become impervious to any road conditions that would make mortal cars fall of the road. :tsk:

The Roadstergal
12-15-2003, 06:19 PM
I don't know if I should :rofl: or :cry:

EdCT
12-16-2003, 09:59 AM
So there I was in my local dealer the other day (a joint dealership with Toyota) to get a part and thought I would stroll through their rather small showroom just for grins...

There sat a rather nice looking red Z4 with...with...cardboard cutouts of those those silly angels from the X5 commercial standing at each corner of the car and another sign praising the safety of X-drive. :rolleyes:

Now unless I have really missed the boat recently, I know there isn't an AWD Z4. Knowing the ingnorence of today's motoring public, I cannot imagine what their dealers are telling their potential victims.

Car dealers are the last bastion of old school american hucksterism.

I don't know why, in this day and age, we still have to deal with these guys except to say there are still plenty of americans who, in the words of the immortal Bugs Bunny, are "gull-ible".

Ed

fkafka
12-16-2003, 11:18 AM
When I was shopping BMW I tested my salesman by asking why they charged a $7,000 premium for the larger displacement engine. He claimed it was because the EPA penalized BMW for the gas mileage differential. The EPA mileage differential was actually 1 MPG city and 0 MPG highway.

I never questioned his answer, or any of his other spurious assertions, but simply game him terrible marks on the salesman's survey. I could never tell if he was stupid, or if he thought I was stupid, but either way he deserved a dope slap.

Desertnate
12-16-2003, 01:16 PM
Car dealers are the last bastion of old school american hucksterism.

I don't know why, in this day and age, we still have to deal with these guys except to say there are still plenty of americans who, in the words of the immortal Bugs Bunny, are "gull-ible".

Ed

No offence to any of the members here who have faithfully served the BMW community as sales people, but I have found this statement to be spot on.

I am a tight-wad of the highest order and will research any large purchase to death before commiting funds. It pains me that I have to do so much research work when buying a car.

When I go to stores like Home Depot and various garden centers I frequent, I have found the sales people helpful, knowledgeable and they offer helpful advice even when not making a purchase. When dealing with car dealers, buyers today have to research like crazy because you can't count on your sales person having a clue or being honest. To me they come across as not being too far off from the kid at BestBuy selling computers...

Once again...John (I know your not in the buisness anymore), Ted, Safaril, et al please don't take this as a personal shot. Its just that some of your peers need to adjust their buisness ethics a bit or educate them on the cars they are trying to sell!

FireFly
12-16-2003, 01:44 PM
I aksed my salesperson if I could do Euro Delivery on the X3. He said no because the vehicle is built in Georgia and they do not ship them to Germany for European Delivery.

The Georgia part threw me for a loop and then the shipping to Germany part really sent me running.

The Roadstergal
12-16-2003, 02:12 PM
Well, at least he got a state adjacent to the correct one... :p

LA525iT
12-16-2003, 02:15 PM
Well, at least he got a state adjacent to the correct one... :p

Not really, unless Germany is next to Georgia. The X5, not the X3, is built in the USA>

Capitalist
12-16-2003, 02:25 PM
Not really, unless Germany is next to Georgia. The X5, not the X3, is built in the USA>

True, except for the fact that the X3 is not built in Germany either.

FireFly
12-16-2003, 02:46 PM
I made a bried attempt to educate him on fact that BMW had contracted with a company in Austria to build the X3- He more or less looked at me like I was:

The Roadstergal
12-16-2003, 02:56 PM
Then I'm an idiot, too. Brain fart - I was thinking Z3->Z4 in Spartanburg, and that it would naturally be X5->X3... but the X5 isn't being discontinued (darn).

dlloyd1975
12-16-2003, 03:10 PM

I just realized that you're in the STL area, too. So, that wouldn't have been a dealership that begins with a N and end with a D, is it?

Desertnate
12-16-2003, 03:20 PM
I just realized that you're in the STL area, too. So, that wouldn't have been a dealership that begins with a N and end with a D, is it?

That would be the one...I go there only because, I would have to drive over the river into Missouri to find any dealers and they happen to be close enough I can make a run from work at lunch if need be.

All around pretty dissapointing. Their parts guys are pretty knowledgable and helpful, but you have to wonder about a dealership that doesn't even have their own website...

dlloyd1975
12-16-2003, 04:01 PM
That would be the one...I go there only because, I would have to drive over the river into Missouri to find any dealers and they happen to be close enough I can make a run from work at lunch if need be.

All around pretty dissapointing. Their parts guys are pretty knowledgable and helpful, but you have to wonder about a dealership that doesn't even have their own website...

When I was in there to get an allignment done, one of the sales guys was nice enough to let me drive the new 5 (only one they had on the lot) and told me that they were building a new, separate facility across the street that was exclusively BMW.

Depending on which sales person you talked to, they could be either Toyota, BMW or, most likely, both. I expect that it will get better when they separate the facilities.

They seem to be pretty savvy about the whole ED process over there and I got a pretty good deal through ED with them.

Wingboot
12-21-2003, 04:49 PM
Car dealers are the last bastion of old school american hucksterism. Ed

You obviously aint gone out to purchase a mattress for a bed lately…..

ChrisTO
12-24-2003, 11:48 AM
that is so true. just because the product being sold costs more, doesn't mean the sales people are more knowledgable.

i had on sales guy tell me that the rear fenders on a 330 are wider than on a 325. he claimed it's designed this way so that the 330 can accomodate the wider M68 245 tires in the rear. :tsk:

EdCT
12-24-2003, 09:04 PM
You obviously aint gone out to purchase a mattress for a bed lately…..

Hey Wing,

Actually, my wife and I did; and I know EXACTLY what you mean :rofl:

doeboy
12-25-2003, 01:22 AM
i had on sales guy tell me that the rear fenders on a 330 are wider than on a 325. he claimed it's designed this way so that the 330 can accomodate the wider M68 245 tires in the rear. :tsk:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: