PDA

View Full Version : Doors on the X5

Eric B
12-18-2003, 04:58 PM
I just got an X5 3.0 PP/SP/AP, and I love it so far. One thing I have noticed is that the sound the doors make when closing is not nearly as solid as our E46 convertible. The E46 doors have a solid 'thunk' we they are closed, while the X5 sounds a bit more 'ker-chunk', and not the same at all.

Is it just me, or has anyone else noticed the same thing?

MGR8
12-18-2003, 05:34 PM
Yep, I mentioned that to my sale associate the night I drove home my X5. The back doors sound solid.

MGR8

swindonhost
12-19-2003, 03:42 PM
I just got an X5 3.0 PP/SP/AP, and I love it so far. One thing I have noticed is that the sound the doors make when closing is not nearly as solid as our E46 convertible. The E46 doors have a solid 'thunk' we they are closed, while the X5 sounds a bit more 'ker-chunk', and not the same at all.

Is it just me, or has anyone else noticed the same thing?

I Cant comment on the Cab, but the sound is much the same as the 330 saloon, don't forget your cab doors are designed as part of the rigid shell, hence I would expect them to be heavier and more solid.

AndDown
12-21-2003, 10:07 AM
It's possible that the difference in volume size, and thus resonance, could make the door closing sounds different. :dunno:

Eric B
12-21-2003, 11:15 AM
I think a lot of it has to do with the weight of doors on the convertbile...the are noticebly more solid and heavy than on the X5. They are also leveraged quite a bit differently than the X5's, in that they are longer/shorter and heavier, and must have a lot more swing weight when they close. The doors on the X5 are shorter in length, and taller so they close with less momentum.

I was also wondering if it had anything to do with the fact that the e46 is assembled in Germany, while the X5 is assembled in S Carolina. But I doubt it.

Eric

Emission
12-21-2003, 04:10 PM
I was also wondering if it had anything to do with the fact that the e46 is assembled in Germany, while the X5 is assembled in S Carolina. But I doubt it.

:dunno: Your point?

Eric B
12-21-2003, 06:04 PM
My point was that different assembly environments will produce cars with different characteristics. I don't know that either is superior/inferior; I would imagine there are also differences in the Porsches that are built in Finland from ones built in Germany.

Emission
12-21-2003, 08:33 PM
My point was that different assembly environments will produce cars with different characteristics. I don't know that either is superior/inferior; I would imagine there are also differences in the Porsches that are built in Finland from ones built in Germany.

I'd image it's the different acoustics of the vehicles.

The X5 has a roof, while the cabs don't - this also means the X5 is closing hard on all the seals, while the cabs only close "hard" on the lower half of the door. The X5 may have more door sealing, especially on the bottom where water may flow in (the X5 can cross streams pretty impressively) - this could cause different noises too.

As far as the same make of vehicle being produced in different countries... Toyota makes excellent vehicles in Japan, and in the States. BMW manufacturers in many factories, with excellent results.

My X5 has been flawless for the past 11 months. My German-made BMW's were always in the shop. It isn't the nation where the vehicle is assembled (for the most part), it is the engineering behind the unit.