PDA

View Full Version : Incompetent dealer service– need key memory help

ivan308
12-21-2003, 07:47 AM
First let me apologizes for this long rant however a day later and I am still irritated over the experience. There is nothing more infuriating than incompetent people. For those if you in south Florida this is the dealer with a new facility on Sample road that is touting that they are now the largest BMW dealership in the world. In my book they are the worst BMW dealership in the world !!

Ok my new 2004 330CI SMG almost has 1000 miles and I want to get the oil changed, just in case, this is a purchase and I plan on keeping the car a while. I make an appointment for 9:30am to get the oil changed and to get the key memory seating enabled as it was not working at delivery even though I had requested it on my key memory worksheet. I also want to see if they could adjust the sensitivity of the automatic headlight as they were turning on even in the middle of the day. All pretty simple requests and I guess should take no longer than an hour and a half at the most.

Drop the car off at 9:15, reiterate my requests to my service advisor who indicates he is not sure about the auto headlight adjust but he will have them check. I take a seat and start waiting. Finally around 10:45 my service advisor calls me, ok I think it is done. No it is not done they want me to go back to the shop so that I can tell them what I want the key seat memory to do? I go back and talk to the two technicians who were locking and unlocking my doors testing the key memory. I tell them all I want is pretty simple; key memory seat adjust on unlock. A feature that has been standard on E46 for at least a couple of years. I also ask them if they had any luck adjusting the auto headlights. They tell me no it cannot be adjusted and all European cars are sensitive like that. At this point I start to get concerned. I go back to the waiting room and while waiting I pull out my user manual. Well what do I find on page 87 in black and white – “You can have the sensitivity of your vehicle’s automatic head-land control adjusted”. I go back to see my service advisor and show him the page in the manual and ask him to please double check this. He can see that I am a bit aggravated at this point and says he will get the shop foreman and the service manager to look into it. I go back to waiting.
An hour later my service advisor and the shop foreman car come to see me. It is now almost 12:30, three hours since I dropped of my car. Now for the best part. They tell me that car does not have Key Memory and that they cannot adjust the sensitivity of the lights so instead they have turned off my DRL. At this point I am highly aggravated. I ask them I am aware of an issue if they do not have the latest software. Are they sure they have the latest software. They insist that their software is up to date and my car does not have key memory seating. I insist at this point that we need to get my salesman and the sales manager involved because if my car does not have Key Memory Seating they lied to me and BMW sales literature is inaccurate. We go over to see the sales manager and they all talk for a while checking the sales literature, owners manual etc. Finally another salesman comes up and tells them that yes the car has the feature but they are waiting for a software update. OK why does a salesman know this but not the shop foreman nor the service advisor nor the service manager !!! The service advisor tells me he will check with BMW on Monday and will get back to me with an answer. They take my car back into the shop to re-enable the DRL’s.
It doesn’t end here. It has now been three and a half hours of my wasted time. One would think that maybe they would consider not charging me for the oil change since they had messed up everything else but no my service advisor says my bill is ready and I can go pay the cashier. OK sir they charge is $170. Wow kind of pricy here is my credit card. I then start looking at the bill. Filter, oil, mircrofilter - $30 ?? Microfilter !!! Why are they charging me for a microfilter as part of a simple oil change on a car that is 2 weeks old. At this point I am fuming… back to the service advisor. Yes he will get it fixed. It took him 20 minutes to get the microfilter charge removed, but of course only the microfilter charge.
I would have gone to speak to the service manger however at that point he already had another angry customer in his office yelling about some other issue. I guess bad service is the norm.

Needless to say I have vowed that I will never return to the service department and despite a good sales experience I will not recommend anyone buy a car from the dealership. I only wish that I had not completed the BMW sales survey last week and given them all 5’s
I will of course be contacting BMW customer service on Monday as I am sure whichever dealership I go to set the Key Memory correctly will want to charge me. Since it was not set correctly at delivery I do not see why I should pay.

So to my question. Does anyone know what version of software a dealer needs in order to correctly program the Key Memory Seating on a Oct build 2004 330CI ?
Anyone know how is the dealer supposed to adjust the auto head-lamps?

vern
12-21-2003, 08:34 AM
First let me apologizes for this long rant however a day later and I am still irritated over the experience. There is nothing more infuriating than incompetent people. For those if you in south Florida this is the dealer with a new facility on Sample road that is touting that they are now the largest BMW dealership in the world. In my book they are the worst BMW dealership in the world !!

Ok my new 2004 330CI SMG almost has 1000 miles and I want to get the oil changed, just in case, this is a purchase and I plan on keeping the car a while. I make an appointment for 9:30am to get the oil changed and to get the key memory seating enabled as it was not working at delivery even though I had requested it on my key memory worksheet. I also want to see if they could adjust the sensitivity of the automatic headlight as they were turning on even in the middle of the day. All pretty simple requests and I guess should take no longer than an hour and a half at the most.

Drop the car off at 9:15, reiterate my requests to my service advisor who indicates he is not sure about the auto headlight adjust but he will have them check. I take a seat and start waiting. Finally around 10:45 my service advisor calls me, ok I think it is done. No it is not done they want me to go back to the shop so that I can tell them what I want the key seat memory to do? I go back and talk to the two technicians who were locking and unlocking my doors testing the key memory. I tell them all I want is pretty simple; key memory seat adjust on unlock. A feature that has been standard on E46 for at least a couple of years. I also ask them if they had any luck adjusting the auto headlights. They tell me no it cannot be adjusted and all European cars are sensitive like that. At this point I start to get concerned. I go back to the waiting room and while waiting I pull out my user manual. Well what do I find on page 87 in black and white – “You can have the sensitivity of your vehicle’s automatic head-land control adjusted”. I go back to see my service advisor and show him the page in the manual and ask him to please double check this. He can see that I am a bit aggravated at this point and says he will get the shop foreman and the service manager to look into it. I go back to waiting.
An hour later my service advisor and the shop foreman car come to see me. It is now almost 12:30, three hours since I dropped of my car. Now for the best part. They tell me that car does not have Key Memory and that they cannot adjust the sensitivity of the lights so instead they have turned off my DRL. At this point I am highly aggravated. I ask them I am aware of an issue if they do not have the latest software. Are they sure they have the latest software. They insist that their software is up to date and my car does not have key memory seating. I insist at this point that we need to get my salesman and the sales manager involved because if my car does not have Key Memory Seating they lied to me and BMW sales literature is inaccurate. We go over to see the sales manager and they all talk for a while checking the sales literature, owners manual etc. Finally another salesman comes up and tells them that yes the car has the feature but they are waiting for a software update. OK why does a salesman know this but not the shop foreman nor the service advisor nor the service manager !!! The service advisor tells me he will check with BMW on Monday and will get back to me with an answer. They take my car back into the shop to re-enable the DRL’s.
It doesn’t end here. It has now been three and a half hours of my wasted time. One would think that maybe they would consider not charging me for the oil change since they had messed up everything else but no my service advisor says my bill is ready and I can go pay the cashier. OK sir they charge is $170. Wow kind of pricy here is my credit card. I then start looking at the bill. Filter, oil, mircrofilter - $30 ?? Microfilter !!! Why are they charging me for a microfilter as part of a simple oil change on a car that is 2 weeks old. At this point I am fuming… back to the service advisor. Yes he will get it fixed. It took him 20 minutes to get the microfilter charge removed, but of course only the microfilter charge.
I would have gone to speak to the service manger however at that point he already had another angry customer in his office yelling about some other issue. I guess bad service is the norm.

Needless to say I have vowed that I will never return to the service department and despite a good sales experience I will not recommend anyone buy a car from the dealership. I only wish that I had not completed the BMW sales survey last week and given them all 5’s
I will of course be contacting BMW customer service on Monday as I am sure whichever dealership I go to set the Key Memory correctly will want to charge me. Since it was not set correctly at delivery I do not see why I should pay.

So to my question. Does anyone know what version of software a dealer needs in order to correctly program the Key Memory Seating on a Oct build 2004 330CI ?
Anyone know how is the dealer supposed to adjust the auto head-lamps?
As I have stated on this site as well as many others put your experiences good or bad on dealerrater.com so everyone can benefit from them.I am still trying to figure out why so many people are afraid to tell others there dealers NAME.I use JMK BMW in Springfeld,N.J. and I mention there name when ever I can,(pertaining to service work or for any other reason I had to be in touch with them).
Good luck straightening out your problem.
vern

Marco
12-21-2003, 08:46 AM

I have the same problem for a 325XiT. And I ask the same question in the "Ask a Dealer" forum (quoting you).

FalconGuy
12-21-2003, 09:21 AM
I can feel your pain. I spent 20 minutes trying to convince a SA at Park Ave BMW In NJ that the Clown Nose Can in fact be made to blink without the alarm on Friday. :thumbdwn:

I have also had to print my own Service Bullitens from online, they have never heard of the MFG's repair instructions contained there in previous visits. :mad:

All the more reason while I will NEVER return to any BMW dealer once im out of warranty for anything. :tsk:

Artslinger
12-22-2003, 05:50 AM
Obviously 170 dollars is gouging, most dealers will charge 50-70 dollars for a oil change. I would demand they reimburse you for the microfilter as this is only required at the scheduled oil service intervals.

sky
12-22-2003, 08:13 AM
You should never pay that much for an oil change. Changing oil in
a BMW is very easy. If you invest in an oil extractor ($50-$60), you
don't even need to get underneath the car! The oil filter is on top of
the engine (not underneath like most cars) and is easily accessible.
I wish changing oil in my other cars was this easy. $170 is a total
rip-off!!:mad: The price of Mobil or Castrol Synthetic oil is about $4/qt.
and a BMW oil filter is about $8. After your initial investment in the oil
extractor, an oil change would be less than $40 if you do it yourself.
Try the following link, it has really good DIY instructions for an oil
change. http://www.bmw325i.net/maint_oil_extractor.shtml

Have the "stealer" change your oil only at the required maintenance
interval. Good luck.

e46shift
12-25-2003, 07:46 AM
www.dealerrater.com

The HACK
12-25-2003, 09:18 AM
At times like this I thank GOD I am not a dealership service advisor. :D

Woody
12-25-2003, 09:37 AM
There are 2 settings for the auto headlight sensitivity: Sensitive (all cars come with this setting from the factory) & Normal.

Have a dealer set it to Normal.