PDA

View Full Version : Shifting too quickly

drbmw
12-21-2003, 04:26 PM
Fellow BMW enthusiasts,
I purchased a 2003 745Li in the fall. I was hoping someone could answer a question about the automatic 6 speed transmission. I feel that it shifts into higher gears awfully quiclkly. At 50 mph I'm already in 6th gear. The engine doesn't have any pull at that speed when it's in sixth gear. Even when you put the transmission into sport mode, the engine revs higher before shifting, but still too quiclkly for my taste. I enjoy using the manual shiftng mode, but don't always find it practical in all driving situations. Question: can the shifing characteristics of the engine be adjusted to allow for less speedy shifting into high gears and more speedy downshifting into lower gears?

I would appreciate any constructive comments from the forum.
Thanks.

ObD
12-21-2003, 06:34 PM
Unless a tuner, re Conforti, Dinan, etc, offers a software reprogram. You got what you got. :D

drbmw
12-21-2003, 09:53 PM
I'm guessing that this doesn't happen if you apply the throttle more aggressively, right?

So you are not looking to accelerate faster, just have the engine stay in a lower gear so it's ready in case you step on it, it doesn't need to downshift?

Right. It accelerates great when I step on it. When I'm driving at 50 mph, I just think it should stay in 5th gear rather than upshifting into sixth. Sixth should function as an overdrive gear meant for cruising at 70 mph or above. So, it's not the acceleration, but the gear selection that the car chooses at a certain speed of driving. Might there be a way to reprogram this to a more aggressive shifting behavior?