PDA

View Full Version : 3M Paint Protection Film to protect bumper

ptown2
12-22-2003, 04:03 PM
Has anyone ever had this paint protection film installed on thier vehicle? And, if so what is your thought on the install? Did it cover All your bumper? Was it in one piece or a bunch of pieces? Are you happy with it? Would you recommend it to others?

I'm just curious... I own a 3M Clear Bra business in No. Cali and have been installing for 7 years, and I have heard of some people not having a good experience with the install. I would like to have some feedback on what people think (good or bad).

Thanks a bunch!

01silber
12-22-2003, 04:08 PM
I have it and love it, the best thing i ever did to mine,
rock chip free
the only thing I can see that people do not like about it is the cost, most places it is pretty high if they are installing it etc,..

CascadeTelcom
12-23-2003, 08:39 AM
Has anyone ever had this paint protection film installed on thier vehicle? And, if so what is your thought on the install? Did it cover All your bumper? Was it in one piece or a bunch of pieces? Are you happy with it? Would you recommend it to others?

I'm just curious... I own a 3M Clear Bra business in No. Cali and have been installing for 7 years, and I have heard of some people not having a good experience with the install. I would like to have some feedback on what people think (good or bad).

Thanks a bunch!
Been on my 330 CIC for approximately 18 months, custom hood application and kit pieces on the front bumper. Has saved numerous rock chips and looks great if cared for per 3M directions.
I would like to know if anyone has applied a solid sheet to the bumper area with all the bends and curves? Solid sheet would minimize the number of edges that accumlate wax buildup which I remove immediately with rags and wooden toothpicks.
Paint Protection film was one of my best additions, would do it again.

Kaz
12-23-2003, 09:23 AM
I have mixed feelings about paint film/stongard/whatever. On the one hand, it does help prevent chips and stuf on this soft paint. On the other hand, it's sorta like those people who put plastic covers on their sofas so it'll be nice for the next person who buys it.

I hven't done it, but if I were to, I'd probably just do it on the hood and not the bumper, since the latter seems to chip less (because the base is flexible plastic, not steel) and if it gets really bad it's easy to remove and have refinished separately.

Pinecone
12-23-2003, 03:19 PM
I have it on both cars, and love it. But the installer is CRITICAL. The installer makes or breaks the install, no matter what film, how many pieces or anything else.

Our M3 was done by Mike Messer and is one of his awesome full wrap jobs. Expensive, but well worth it.

I had the BMW kit on the Roadster, self installed. Took a rock hit hard enough to chip the paint through the film. Had it removed, the chip repaired and new film installed this year at Homecoming. The guys there did a very nice job. Not full wrap like Mike's but a lot cheaper.

The HACK
12-23-2003, 03:23 PM
I have mixed feelings about paint film/stongard/whatever. On the one hand, it does help prevent chips and stuf on this soft paint. On the other hand, it's sorta like those people who put plastic covers on their sofas so it'll be nice for the next person who buys it.

I hven't done it, but if I were to, I'd probably just do it on the hood and not the bumper, since the latter seems to chip less (because the base is flexible plastic, not steel) and if it gets really bad it's easy to remove and have refinished separately.

I think it's worth it to install it if you plan to keep the car for a long time. Otherwise it's cheaper to just have the bumpers repainted when you're ready to sell. Most of the chips can be "wet sanded" away for like $100.

Emission
12-24-2003, 10:35 PM
I think it is a waste of money.

Your car is made to be driven on public highways. If you don't want the associated nicks (war wounds), don't drive.

With my luck, I'd pay $500 for the film, and a 1" rock would bounce into the front of my car and scratch the paint anyway. :confused:

Pinecone
12-26-2003, 03:39 AM
I think it is a waste of money.

Your car is made to be driven on public highways. If you don't want the associated nicks (war wounds), don't drive.

With my luck, I'd pay $500 for the film, and a 1" rock would bounce into the front of my car and scratch the paint anyway. :confused:

So that's why you put that ugly black bra on your car at the track? Since you are so accepting of minor chips? :)

I have had less problems with gravel on the track than on the highway. The track doesn't have dump trucks dribbling gravel for miles.

BradATL
12-26-2003, 10:14 AM
Our M3 was done by Mike Messer and is one of his awesome full wrap jobs. Expensive, but well worth it.

Mike Messer did mine, too. I'm very happy with it so far. I got the Stongard kit instead of the Dynashield kits due to cost.

Xpel: good
Stongard: better
Dynashield: best

Emission
12-26-2003, 11:34 AM
So that's why you put that ugly black bra on your car at the track? Since you are so accepting of minor chips? :)

I have had less problems with gravel on the track than on the highway. The track doesn't have dump trucks dribbling gravel for miles.

Out here in sunny Southern California, dropping a wheel off a track will kick up rocks and gravel (we don't have clay or mud on the sides - I wish we did). It is very common, and destructive. Everyone tapes their cars - even with an ugly black bra.

My car is 18-years-old. Ugly black bras were common back then. Mine doesn't bother me, and it actually hides the oil cooler scoops in the front of the car. My car is low and my bra is tight, even at 150 mph. Like the 16" wheels, the bra looks "period" to me.

My late-model Passat and X5 have no protection whatsoever. They both have slight chips, but that is what touch-up paint is for. Both the BMW and VW have taken rocks into the windshield - one needed a replacement while the other suffers with nice scratch in the line-of-site. Putting the Paint Protection on the paint, without protecting the windshield, would be like wearing football pads, and no helmet.

If a rock does damage my paint bad enough to warrant repair, I'll have someone paint it for $100 (on-site bumper "repair" companies).

Stuka
12-26-2003, 05:07 PM
I am leasing the Turbo, and the first thing I did before driving the car off the lot is to tape up the whole front (with Hack's help) with painters tape to prevent chips. :angel: Why you ask? Because this way if I ended up bonding with the car in the course of the next few years, I can exercise my buy out option. I am anal about things like this, and if the front of the Turbo were to have gone a few years without any protection, I WILL turn it in, regardless of how much I loved the car. :p

The installer is key. When I drove back to the dealership for some additional paper work issues, my sales guy wanted the phone number to my installer, he was very impressed with the job. :bigpimp:

Heck, my E46 M3 had prestine paint work on the whole front after 1.5 years and 30K miles. :thumbup:

Pinecone
12-27-2003, 03:53 AM
Out here in sunny Southern California, dropping a wheel off a track will kick up rocks and gravel (we don't have clay or mud on the sides - I wish we did). It is very common, and destructive. Everyone tapes their cars - even with an ugly black bra.

My car is 18-years-old. Ugly black bras were common back then. Mine doesn't bother me, and it actually hides the oil cooler scoops in the front of the car. My car is low and my bra is tight, even at 150 mph. Like the 16" wheels, the bra looks "period" to me.

My late-model Passat and X5 have no protection whatsoever. They both have slight chips, but that is what touch-up paint is for. Both the BMW and VW have taken rocks into the windshield - one needed a replacement while the other suffers with nice scratch in the line-of-site. Putting the Paint Protection on the paint, without protecting the windshield, would be like wearing football pads, and no helmet.

If a rock does damage my paint bad enough to warrant repair, I'll have someone paint it for $100 (on-site bumper "repair" companies).

So why not get clear protection, and not have the ugly black thing, and still protect the paint. And yes, in the OLD days, black bras were considered "cool". :)

A lot of people have found that late model BMW paint tends to chip a lot. No, the clear film will not stop all damage, but it reduces the damage in all cases, and prevents most of the small stuff. Especially on the lower bumper sections.

Yes, you can use touch up paint, but due to the number of chips, many people have found that they have so many chips, that repainting is the only answer.

The clear bra prevents this, but keeps the good looks of the car.