PDA

View Full Version : ebay cars

KevinM
12-22-2003, 05:42 PM
I'm thinking of buying a used M5 (2002-2003) in the next year and cannot help but notice the ebay M5s are priced THOUSANDS below the prices I am seeing at BMW dealers. I understand about the CPO and all but the price difference seems huge. I also know I will probably need to travel to where the car is located to inspect it, but still...

My dealer has a 2003 CPO (wrong color, luckily for the kids' college fund) for 72K...similar cars are going on ebay for 10K less (the "buy now" price).

Has anyone actually bought a used BMW through ebay? If so, please share your experiences, both good and bad.

Thanks in advance! :)

Kevin

Tango
12-22-2003, 07:02 PM
I think like buying from any private or used car lot, you have to visit and drive the car yourself. Also if buying privately an inspection is also a must. If you do all these things on a 2002, or 2003 model and everything checks out fine, why not buy it........save yourself some $$$. Dealers will always sell for more and the CPO usually adds around $2000 to the final price.

Nde
12-23-2003, 07:50 AM
One of my friend actually bought a M5 on Ebay. He contact the seller for a test drive before the bid. He only bid on a local seller within 50 miles and is willing to do a test drive before bid.

kpytoi9
12-23-2003, 08:10 AM
a friend of mine bought a volvo 850r on ebay and had to drive all the way to boston from chicago to pick it up...once he got it thought, he said the car was better than described and he said that he would buy another car on ebay.

dkny2314
12-25-2003, 09:26 PM
I'm thinking of buying a used M5 (2002-2003) in the next year and cannot help but notice the ebay M5s are priced THOUSANDS below the prices I am seeing at BMW dealers. I understand about the CPO and all but the price difference seems huge. I also know I will probably need to travel to where the car is located to inspect it, but still...

My dealer has a 2003 CPO (wrong color, luckily for the kids' college fund) for 72K...similar cars are going on ebay for 10K less (the "buy now" price).

Has anyone actually bought a used BMW through ebay? If so, please share your experiences, both good and bad.

Thanks in advance! :)

Kevin

Hi Kevin,

I bought my 2003 330ci used on ebay and I couldnt be happier. email me and I will give you all the details.

Matthew
justdoitonline@optonline.net

Dustan
12-26-2003, 07:39 AM
I bought my 2001 M coupe off of Ebay. I had to fly out to L.A. check it out and drive it back to Wisconsin. It was a great way to get to know the car, and everything went perfect.

AF
12-26-2003, 01:15 PM
I sold a low mileage 98 Eclipse GS-T Convertible on ebay last year, the car was beautiful and I know the new owner was very happy with it.

It was as good if not better then I described.

Pinecone
12-27-2003, 04:09 AM
Private sales are always cheaper than dealer sales for used cars. The dealer has to pay a salesman a commission. They have to pay for the lot and the building. They have to pay for the car (interest) for a period of time until the car sells.

And the dealer wants to make a profit on the sale above all of this.

And the dealer probably buys/trades the car for somewhere around what the private individual wants for the car.

On the other hand, there is some piece of mind in many cases. You have a dealer to go back against if they misrepresented the car. They can CPO (extra money $1000 - $2000). They can handle titling and registration. Dealers also warranty used cars for typically 90 days.

Also not all eBay cars buying stories are positive. But as long as you aren't trying to get something for nothing, it normally goes well.

ccharmen
12-27-2003, 05:46 PM
Ebay is great but you must be very CAREFULL. I bought 3 excellent cars on ebay, and lost my deposit on the 4th car.

1)Make sure the seller has excellent feedback and stay away from negative feedback. "Nxcess" (seller name), bought an M3 from them, perfect experince

2) Dont put a deposit down on the car without seeing it first (I made this mistake once, seller lied about condition).

3) Get a dealer inspection on it ($150 avg), a must. Just pay for it and have him drop it off at an authorized dealer near him.

Otherwise you can get some really good deals

Good luck

cc

JLee
12-28-2003, 02:27 PM
I know of someone who bid on a new 325xi Wagon and won it, brought it home and it was a beauty...so there are deals to be found

that said, for cars out of new car warranty, i would only do what this guy did and bid on cars within driving distance that i could check out.

jeff

One of my friend actually bought a M5 on Ebay. He contact the seller for a test drive before the bid. He only bid on a local seller within 50 miles and is willing to do a test drive before bid.

Dincic
12-30-2003, 08:26 AM
The chances of someone abusing a fairly new M5 is probably unlikely. They tend to be enthusiasts.

Mpire
12-30-2003, 12:13 PM
The chances of someone abusing a fairly new M5 is probably unlikely. They tend to be enthusiasts.

Anyone who has an M5 for less than a couple years is not going to be an enthusiast. I bet its some rich prick who doesnt know what he has.

My uncle bought an E55 and hated it because it was such a rough ride. He was not an enthusiast. He just has too much money for his own good. (In his defense, he drives and SL55 now, very cushy)

I bought my m coupe off of ebay. But I can tell you that if I didnt like the car after I checked it out, I would have told them to go f*ck themselves unless it was in the described condition. However, it was good condition, and after I cleaned it up, it looked amazing.

Only down sides are two dents a scratch, and wheel rash. Otherwise the car is perfect. And I paid 10K BELOW market value.

Gotta love that. I am going to buy new rims to make up for my loss. :)

Mpire

KevinM
12-30-2003, 09:29 PM
Anyone who has an M5 for less than a couple years is not going to be an enthusiast. I bet its some rich prick who doesnt know what he has.

My uncle bought an E55 and hated it because it was such a rough ride. He was not an enthusiast. He just has too much money for his own good. (In his defense, he drives and SL55 now, very cushy)

I bought my m coupe off of ebay. But I can tell you that if I didnt like the car after I checked it out, I would have told them to go f*ck themselves unless it was in the described condition. However, it was good condition, and after I cleaned it up, it looked amazing.

Only down sides are two dents a scratch, and wheel rash. Otherwise the car is perfect. And I paid 10K BELOW market value.

Gotta love that. I am going to buy new rims to make up for my loss. :)

Mpire

Did you hire a professional service to check the vehicle out before you purchased it?

Kevin