PDA

View Full Version : major tune-up and wheels

swchang
12-22-2003, 09:55 PM
For major tune-ups, is a wheel rotation, alignment, and balance included?

TIA. :)

The HACK
12-22-2003, 10:03 PM
No. BMWs do not require tune-up, the engine's timing chain is supposedly maintenance free and most of the modern day BMWs, which you have will not require anything even remotely resembling what mechanics used to call "tune-ups".

First, BMW does not recommend rotating wheels. Second, alignment is only necessary if your alignment is out of whack, and you'll definitely feel an alignment out of whack and that is usually independent of any of the services that BMW require.

And unless your wheel is exhibiting problems like excessive noise or vibration through the steering wheel at certain speeds, a balance is not necessary.

swchang
12-23-2003, 12:02 PM
No. BMWs do not require tune-up, the engine's timing chain is supposedly maintenance free and most of the modern day BMWs, which you have will not require anything even remotely resembling what mechanics used to call "tune-ups".

First, BMW does not recommend rotating wheels. Second, alignment is only necessary if your alignment is out of whack, and you'll definitely feel an alignment out of whack and that is usually independent of any of the services that BMW require.

And unless your wheel is exhibiting problems like excessive noise or vibration through the steering wheel at certain speeds, a balance is not necessary.

Thanks, that's good to know for when I get my car. And I actually asked the thing about the tire check-ups for my '91 Mercedes, which does still require tune-ups (AFAIK). I think what you said about the tires would still hold, though. Anyway, thanks again.

Kaz
12-23-2003, 12:06 PM
FWIW, anyone who tells you a 'tune-up' has anything to do with something other than engine stuff is full of it.

In the old days when tune-ups were necessary, it strictly involved engine stuff like valve adjustments, ignition system (cap/rotor/points/plugs/wires), timing chain/belt, carburetor, air filter, etc. never anything to do with tires/wheels/suspension.