PDA

View Full Version : Tar removal?

Nick325xiT 5spd
04-09-2002, 10:55 PM
I need to get this crap off my wheels and elsewhere. :(

Guest84
04-10-2002, 05:34 AM
"Goo off" is what I've used..claybar will work too.

johnlew
04-10-2002, 05:42 AM
Originally posted by Ripsnort
"Goo off" is what I've used..claybar will work too.

Is that a mixture of GOO GONE and GOOF OFF?

Guest84
04-10-2002, 05:44 AM
Hell, I don't remember the name, but it sits on my shelf for the wheels! ;)

I've never had to use it on the finish, yet...claybarring twice a year seems to take care of it.

johnlew
04-10-2002, 05:55 AM
Originally posted by Ripsnort
Hell, I don't remember the name, but it sits on my shelf for the wheels! ;)

I've never had to use it on the finish, yet...claybarring twice a year seems to take care of it.

Rip, did you mention that you use soap during your wash to claybar the car or is Speedshine (or the like) the only lubricant one should use? Might be claying mine this weekend and thought I'd use the p21s shampoo wash (after the Dawn wash) to clay the car at the same time.

Guest84
04-10-2002, 07:03 AM
Just leave the rinse water on and spritz alittle detail spray on top of that..just make sure you don't drag the clay across any areas that dried out, lube it man! Lube it! :)

TD
04-10-2002, 07:08 AM
Just to get the Detailing Nazis agitated, I contemplated suggesting gasoline or mineral spirits. But I figure they would have taken me seriously. ;)

johnlew
04-10-2002, 07:17 AM
Originally posted by TD
Just to get the Detailing Nazis agitated, I contemplated suggesting gasoline or mineral spirits. But I figure they would have taken me seriously. ;)

That would be recommended for your car. ;)

Guest84
04-10-2002, 07:22 AM
"Steel wool and Comet" would be appropriate too, TD! ;)

TD
04-10-2002, 07:34 AM
Originally posted by johnlew

That would be recommended for your car. ;)

I've USED mineral spirits and/or gasoline to remove tar from my cars. So, yeah!

johnlew
04-10-2002, 07:38 AM
I've USED mineral spirits and/or gasoline to remove tar from my cars. So, yeah!

While not a first choice, they certainly work. It's when they sit on the finish for a period of time that they really do damage. I'm sure you thoroughly removed any residue after using, used a mild polish on the area and then finished with a good wax for protection. ;)

TD
04-10-2002, 07:40 AM
Originally posted by johnlew
While not a first choice, they certainly work. It's when they sit on the finish for a period of time that they really do damage. I'm sure you thoroughly removed any residue after using, used a mild polish on the area and then finished with a good wax for protection. ;)

Um, I wiped it off. Rinsed with water and then re-dried the area. Good as new.

Remember, I have never waxed a car.

johnlew
04-10-2002, 07:43 AM
Originally posted by TD

Remember, I have never waxed a car.

I know, you're a slumlord. ;)

in_d_haus
04-10-2002, 09:33 AM
I use Blue Poly Bug and Tar remover gel and it works great! I also have Goof-Off but am worried about how strong it is and potential long term damage.

BayDetailz
04-10-2002, 11:04 PM
Use 3M Adhesive Cleaner, it will take all the tar off your wheels and also on body and bumpers. Also keep In mind not to rubb too much on plastic, you will end up taking the clear coat off. But this stuff works the best. You can pick it up off the counters at any local hardware store.