PDA

View Full Version : Who has a US-spec F10 528i?

SteVTEC
09-25-2010, 10:33 AM
Would love to get some feedback from actual owners. There's only so much you can learn on a test drive, and there hasn't been any actual road tests by the mags to my knowledge.

What kind of RPMs does it turn in 8th on the highway? I'm guessing that's a cruise only gear even on the 535 and that if you want any real power for maneuvering it'll need to drop a few gears. What about in DS? I'm guessing it doesn't just dump it into 8th in that mode but maybe a lower gear as the max? Was very impressed by the sound, feel, and power of the 528 on a test drive. How does it hold up in the real world?

Not sure whether to go with the sport package or not. How well does the non-sport car steer and handle? Is the adjustable suspension available on the 528 sport model or is that only on the 535 and higher models? On the test drive I was testing mainly for power and overall driving feel and didn't think to really run it hard through some twisties, although my wife had to jerk back over a half lane when some idiot nearly side swiped us while she was driving. Car did feel a bit "loose" and floppy. Hmmmm...

dominoaz
09-25-2010, 12:36 PM
I've had my '11 528i with Sport and Premium for six weeks. Haven't yet looked at RPM at speed. I always start in DS then kick the shifter over to D after a couple of gears. I think that in DS, the tranny starts in 2nd and doesn't go into 8th; maybe 7th too. I came out of an '08 535i w/o Sport Pkg. I was surprised that the 528 actually rides better than the 535, in spite of runflats and Sport Pkg. I think the new A-Arm front suspension may be a contributing factor. I am easily cracking 30 MPG on the highway, even at 83-85 MPH(AZ max speed is 75). Last tank was 30.8 MPG comprised of 220 mi. round trip to mountains plus local driving.

Slaymaster
09-25-2010, 01:59 PM
Would love to get some feedback from actual owners. There's only so much you can learn on a test drive, and there hasn't been any actual road tests by the mags to my knowledge.

What kind of RPMs does it turn in 8th on the highway? I'm guessing that's a cruise only gear even on the 535 and that if you want any real power for maneuvering it'll need to drop a few gears. What about in DS? I'm guessing it doesn't just dump it into 8th in that mode but maybe a lower gear as the max? Was very impressed by the sound, feel, and power of the 528 on a test drive. How does it hold up in the real world?

Not sure whether to go with the sport package or not. How well does the non-sport car steer and handle? Is the adjustable suspension available on the 528 sport model or is that only on the 535 and higher models? On the test drive I was testing mainly for power and overall driving feel and didn't think to really run it hard through some twisties, although my wife had to jerk back over a half lane when some idiot nearly side swiped us while she was driving. Car did feel a bit "loose" and floppy. Hmmmm...

My 528 Sport is currently sitting and waiting to be loaded on a ship. I also would like to hear more about the sport being I'm coming out a 535 sport and didn't test drive a 528 with the sport package. I only knew I was ordering it.

Nice MPGs! I drive 35k per year so the 30+ MPGs sounds great!!!

dominoaz
09-26-2010, 03:07 AM
My mistake. In D the trans starts in 2nd and shifts all the way thru 8th. In DS, it starts in First and doesn't go to overdrive. I don't know if overdrive includes any other gear beside 8th. With 8 gears, I would surmise that more than just 8h is OD.

raleedy
09-26-2010, 08:11 AM
My mistake. In D the trans starts in 2nd and shifts all the way thru 8th. In DS, it starts in First and doesn't go to overdrive. I don't know if overdrive includes any other gear beside 8th. With 8 gears, I would surmise that more than just 8h is OD.

You could look it up.

mhrir
09-28-2010, 10:13 AM
Edmunds Inside Line just started a long term test on the F10 528i.

Ronsell
09-28-2010, 01:35 PM
Edmunds Inside Line just started a long term test on the F10 528i.

Just picked up my 2011 528i this morning. I love it--the car seems so huge. It's
going to take me a few days to figure out all the gadgets. It seems like it does
everything but make love to you. Who knows, that may be a future option. ;)

quackbury
09-28-2010, 03:00 PM
Just picked up my 2011 528i this morning. I love it--the car seems so huge. It's
going to take me a few days to figure out all the gadgets. It seems like it does
everything but make love to you. Who knows, that may be a future option. ;)

"When you turn on your car, does it return the favor?"

http://theinspirationroom.com/daily/commercials/2008/2/kate-walsh-cadillac.jpg

Ronsell
09-28-2010, 03:23 PM
"When you turn on your car, does it return the favor?"

http://theinspirationroom.com/daily/commercials/2008/2/kate-walsh-cadillac.jpg

That's a great commercial, Quack. I wish she came with the car. :bigpimp:

quackbury
09-28-2010, 03:44 PM
That's a great commercial, Quack. I wish she came with the car. :bigpimp:

I asked my dealer if there was a German equivelent, and this is what he offered me:

http://www.aramation.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/bruno.jpg

I told him thanks, but no thanks.

Ronsell
09-28-2010, 07:02 PM
I asked my dealer if there was a German equivelent, and this is what he offered me:

http://www.aramation.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/bruno.jpg

I told him thanks, but no thanks.

I agree. I would pass, too. ;)