PDA

View Full Version : Navigating to cell phone contacts

mdspadeccom
09-25-2010, 05:14 PM
The 2011 530i does a pretty good job of connecting via bluetooth with a cell phone. And it will download the contacts from the phone for use in navigating. This turns out to be less useful than you might imagine, becuase the car forgets all these contacts whenever it is turned off. So the next time your start up you have to wait for all the contacts to be downloaded again before they can be used. (Anyone -- is this really true, or is it consequence of connecting with a different bluetooth cell phone in the intrum?) Downloading takes several minytes and it, of course, occurs just when you are wanting to put in the navagation destination into the system for the about to begin journey.

Has anyone found a way around this? For example, is there some way to copy all of the cell phone contacts into the car's internal contacts memory permanently. (I know how to do it one at a time by using a cell phone contact, once it is loaded, as a navagation destination and then telling the navagation system to copy it over.)

You would think that a sophisticated company like BMW would understand the concept of synchronizing the car's contact memory with the phine each time it is presented. I believe that the Microsoft "Sync" systems available on Ford products does just this.

Comments anyone?

m.

markl53
09-25-2010, 06:52 PM
My cell phone book took a couple minutes to load the very first time. When I get into the car and start up subsequently, it doesn't take nearly as long. I think it only looks for changes. If you connected a different phone in between, it probably has to load from scratch.

AzNMpower32
09-25-2010, 08:35 PM
If you have numbers that you frequently dial immediately upon entering the vehicle, I suggest programming the Voice Control to save certain entries and numbers. The entries you manually enter into the Voice Control are saved into the vehicle, so no matter what phone is paired, the car will dial that number as long as a phone is paired.

For example, if I saved the voice dial "Home" to the phone, it is saved into vehicle memory. So if say, my friend's phone is paired and connected to the vehicle tomorrow, I can still say "Home" and it will dial MY number, using his phone. At least that's the way it works on my mom's 325i.

GiaGiaJa
09-25-2010, 09:49 PM
I can not Voice control anything..... speak with accent is challenging.

You guys should try it sometime!

markl53
09-26-2010, 07:24 AM
If you have numbers that you frequently dial immediately upon entering the vehicle, I suggest programming the Voice Control to save certain entries and numbers. The entries you manually enter into the Voice Control are saved into the vehicle, so no matter what phone is paired, the car will dial that number as long as a phone is paired.

For example, if I saved the voice dial "Home" to the phone, it is saved into vehicle memory. So if say, my friend's phone is paired and connected to the vehicle tomorrow, I can still say "Home" and it will dial MY number, using his phone. At least that's the way it works on my mom's 325i.

Voice command is so-so, IMO. As I said, my phone connects and the phone book is available within 5 seconds of starting my car. The OP mentioned something about connecting different phones and I think this is his issue. The phone book will need to be loaded from scratch if another phone was connected in the interim.

AzNMpower32
09-26-2010, 08:46 AM
Voice command is so-so, IMO. As I said, my phone connects and the phone book is available within 5 seconds of starting my car. The OP mentioned something about connecting different phones and I think this is his issue. The phone book will need to be loaded from scratch if another phone was connected in the interim.
The Voice Control phone book does not need to be reloaded with a different phone; the number is stored within the system. :dunno:

I never have problems with Voice Control on our BMWs. I think it's very convenient and the fastest way to dial a number. Heck, I can even use it when the windows are down. I just wish it was in German.