PDA

View Full Version : Doors "Hard" to open/close

rpr2
12-23-2003, 01:22 PM
Hi Guys,

I have a '98 5 series and I love everything about the car save one thing... The doors seem very "heavy" when you open or close them. You have to exert more effort to open or close than with any other car I've driven (including my '94 740i). Is this normal? If not is there a way to adjust this? Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.

Tanin
12-23-2003, 04:55 PM
Hi Guys,

I have a '98 5 series and I love everything about the car save one thing... The doors seem very "heavy" when you open or close them. You have to exert more effort to open or close than with any other car I've driven (including my '94 740i). Is this normal? If not is there a way to adjust this? Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.

There has been a 5 series in my family since '83 including 2 E39's and never did I find the door weight an issue.
Has the car been in an accident? Maybe the door hinge is bent? :dunno: That about as much help as I can offer....sorry. You might have more luck on the 5 series board.

Matthew330Ci
12-23-2003, 07:52 PM
not a 5 series, but on my 330Ci, i was surprised by how hard I needed to pull on the damn door handles to open the door. the passengers almost always never open it on their first attempt.

Pinecone
12-24-2003, 03:16 AM
Two things.

Auto locking may be invoked.

Second, the door latches need to be lubed every so often. You put a very thin smear of greae (like a lithium white grease) on teh latch pin on the door frame, and a squirt of graphite lube into the latch on the door.

rpr2
12-24-2003, 10:05 AM
Two things.

Auto locking may be invoked.

Second, the door latches need to be lubed every so often. You put a very thin smear of greae (like a lithium white grease) on teh latch pin on the door frame, and a squirt of graphite lube into the latch on the door.
Thanks for the response. I'll try your suggestions.

Woody
12-25-2003, 11:13 AM
not a 5 series, but on my 330Ci, i was surprised by how hard I needed to pull on the damn door handles to open the door. the passengers almost always never open it on their first attempt.

Matt,

Have you had your dealer replace both left & right door seals? These could be coming loose from the "B" pillar & making it difficult to close/open the doors.

yamato
12-25-2003, 09:14 PM
Hi Guys,

I also notice my doors are much heavier than the other cars. I think it is because of all the sensors and air bags mechanism inside the doors to make them so heavy.

Matthew330Ci
12-27-2003, 12:45 AM
Matt,

Have you had your dealer replace both left & right door seals? These could be coming loose from the "B" pillar & making it difficult to close/open the doors.

Hi Woody,

I wasn't clear, what I meant was when the door is closed and you pull on the handle to open the door, the handle itself is hard to move. thanks for the tip, my door seals are fine.

Woody
12-27-2003, 09:29 AM
Hi Woody,

I wasn't clear, what I meant was when the door is closed and you pull on the handle to open the door, the handle itself is hard to move. thanks for the tip, my door seals are fine.

Did you lube the door latches yet? On the E36s (2 doors only) the doors would sometimes not open from the inside or the outside because of lack of lubrication!