PDA

View Full Version : Your suggestion/advice on my color combination for the 550i

CarBrain
09-26-2010, 09:34 PM
For the past few weeks my color of choice for the 550i was the Tashman Green but today I saw one in person a local dealership and was surprised that it was darker than I thought. My wife like bright color so I had to chose another color. Then I went to another dealership and saw for the first time the color Milano Beige Metallic and we both love that color. It is bright and looks very luxurious.

So now we have determined the exterior color but not sure about the interior color. The Milano Beige Metallic car at the dealership has the Venetian Beige color for the leather and although it looks great, it also looks a little monotone because both the exterior and the interior have the "beige" color tone.

So here are the choices:

A) http://oi51.tinypic.com/n4iaed.jpg

This is the exterior color with the Venetian Beige leather seats

B) http://oi56.tinypic.com/2lcqjv4.jpg

This is with dark wood trim

C) http://oi51.tinypic.com/907nl4.jpg

This is with light wood trim

---------------------------------------------------------------

D) http://oi51.tinypic.com/2d1a3qp.jpg

This is the exterior with the Cinnamon Brown Dakota leather

E) http://oi53.tinypic.com/34zj9ci.jpg

This is with light wood trim

F) http://oi55.tinypic.com/ipthti.jpg

This is with dark wood trim

--------------------------------------------------------------

So which interior combination should I get?

I will be ordering it within the next 2 or 3 days.

Thanks.

GiaGiaJa
09-26-2010, 09:44 PM
I will go with dark wood trim and cinnamon brown color.
Just because I think the car will look nicer with good contrast, having light color exterior and light interior is seem too simple.

But of coz... you get what you like

BlackBerryCubed
09-26-2010, 11:20 PM
i would sticke with venetian beige with dark wood combo for that exterior color.

Seven11
09-27-2010, 01:48 AM
get an alpine white with cinnamon brown and dark trim

pharding
09-27-2010, 07:16 AM
+1 for beige with dark wood, not anthracite wood with beige leather.

markl53
09-27-2010, 07:41 AM
I have Cinnamon in my Black Sapphire 535i and I think it would look very good with the lighter Milano Beige as well. It would lend a more sophisticated look, IMO, than the beige. However, do not get the light wood, in fact, it is not on the recommended interior combination list. I got the anthracite wood with my Cinnamon and it is a more neutral color with more visible grain. The dark wood is very dark this year compared with previous woods and there is hardly any visible grain. I also got the anthracite headliner to blend with the other black areas. I've attached some images of my interior. Larger images can be seen in my original thread at http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=485015

CarBrain
09-27-2010, 08:36 AM
Wow, the suggestion is split in the middle (even with the results from the other BMW forum). Now you know why it is such a difficult choice. Looking forward to more opinions before I make the order in 1 or 2 more days. Thanks folks.

voken
09-27-2010, 08:53 AM
I just placed an order on 9/25 with the same color combination as markl53 for my 535i xDrive - Black Sapphire w/ Cinnamon Brown and Anthracite wood trim...

Gaucho
09-27-2010, 09:13 AM
I have been "rummaging" throught 3 local dealerships over the past few months looking at the various color combinations for the new 5 series. Luckilyin Southern Cal we get a lot of choices and have seen pretty much all of them, not in all combinations but enough to get a good idea from "mixing and matching". I have also seen the 7 series carbon black metallic (really a misnomer since this is very dark blue!) which is offered with M package.

The one thing that I give MB and Lexus credit over the BMW line up is the overall choice of exterior colors. I think that they offer some great choices without the metallic option which in my opinion tends to just sparkle way too much in certain sunny conditions. I wish that BMW offered the Lexus "Mica" exterior. MB offers a similar choice.

Here are my $0.02 worth:
1. Jet Black and Alpine white - classics can't go wrong. All black leather and or oyster/black make both of these perfect. The beige interior with light wood looks great with AW - very clean, bright and elegant. Will not tire of either one. Were it not for the upkeep if you are fasctidious about keeping your car clean for a long time, Jet Black is the top choice.

2. Milano Beige and Cashmere metallic - a bit too bland (sorry) for this large car. I think it makes this car look like an oversize Camry. I think that in 3 years this color will look really tired.

3. Dark graphite metallic and graphite black metallic- looks good in the dark but in the sun you just see too much of the metallic flakes that makes the car look a bit cheap. In my opinion it really takes a lot out of the look of the car. The black metallic is a bit better than dark graphite metallic overall. Same interiors as in #1 are perfect if you can live with "sparkles".

4. Imperial Blue and Deep Blue - they look great in the evening but in the daytime there is just too much bright blue coming out in my opinion. Both with either black, oyster/black or beige looked great if blue is your thing.

5. Tasman green - saw one with beige interior. Looked pretty good. Actually the green was very subdued compared to other BMW models and it came out from a distance in the sun. Close up the color has a lot of grey in it and looks very rich. Certainly unique and there are not too many of these around anywhere.

6. Mojave (Havana) beige - extremely rich color, looks very good with beige interior. Saw one with oyster/black interior also and it looked fantastic. This color is growing on me. From a distance in the sun it is very "brown", up close and on darkening sunlight it looks a lot more gray. I like the overall color but not sure I would not get tired of it in 3-4 years. Certainly looks very elegant and not common on the road. I think this car would be parked at the front of any restaurant valet parking.

7. Space gray - common, tradiditional and predictable. Looks great with black or oyster/black. Easy to maintain. A bit borring since you will see 1000's of BMWs on the road with this combo.

8. Titanium silver - see #7. But I think if the choice were between these 2 I would go with the lighter silver with black interior. Easy to maintain, a bit more uncommon than the space gray.

You know what they say about taste - right?

kenhamm
09-27-2010, 09:34 AM
Cinnamon with dark wood.

Ronsell
09-27-2010, 09:37 AM
I have been "rummaging" throught 3 local dealerships over the past few months looking at the various color combinations for the new 5 series. Luckilyin Southern Cal we get a lot of choices and have seen pretty much all of them, not in all combinations but enough to get a good idea from "mixing and matching". I have also seen the 7 series carbon black metallic (really a misnomer since this is very dark blue!) which is offered with M package.

The one thing that I give MB and Lexus credit over the BMW line up is the overall choice of exterior colors. I think that they offer some great choices without the metallic option which in my opinion tends to just sparkle way too much in certain sunny conditions. I wish that BMW offered the Lexus "Mica" exterior. MB offers a similar choice.

Here are my $0.02 worth:
1. Jet Black and Alpine white - classics can't go wrong. All black leather and or oyster/black make both of these perfect. The beige interior with light wood looks great with AW - very clean, bright and elegant. Will not tire of either one. Were it not for the upkeep if you are fasctidious about keeping your car clean for a long time, Jet Black is the top choice.

2. Milano Beige and Cashmere metallic - a bit too bland (sorry) for this large car. I think it makes this car look like an oversize Camry. I think that in 3 years this color will look really tired.

3. Dark graphite metallic and graphite black metallic- looks good in the dark but in the sun you just see too much of the metallic flakes that makes the car look a bit cheap. In my opinion it really takes a lot out of the look of the car. The black metallic is a bit better than dark graphite metallic overall. Same interiors as in #1 are perfect if you can live with "sparkles".

4. Imperial Blue and Deep Blue - they look great in the evening but in the daytime there is just too much bright blue coming out in my opinion. Both with either black, oyster/black or beige looked great if blue is your thing.

5. Tasman green - saw one with beige interior. Looked pretty good. Actually the green was very subdued compared to other BMW models and it came out from a distance in the sun. Close up the color has a lot of grey in it and looks very rich. Certainly unique and there are not too many of these around anywhere.

6. Mojave (Havana) beige - extremely rich color, looks very good with beige interior. Saw one with oyster/black interior also and it looked fantastic. This color is growing on me. From a distance in the sun it is very "brown", up close and on darkening sunlight it looks a lot more gray. I like the overall color but not sure I would not get tired of it in 3-4 years. Certainly looks very elegant and not common on the road. I think this car would be parked at the front of any restaurant valet parking.

7. Space gray - common, tradiditional and predictable. Looks great with black or oyster/black. Easy to maintain. A bit borring since you will see 1000's of BMWs on the road with this combo.

8. Titanium silver - see #7. But I think if the choice were between these 2 I would go with the lighter silver with black interior. Easy to maintain, a bit more uncommon than the space gray.

Excellent post, Gaucho. I agree with most of your comments. I've a Space Gray on order, and I chose it over Jet Black, because one black car (MB) was enough for me.
Granted, it's absolutely gorgeous when clean, but clean tends to last about five minutes.
Space Gray can be considered pretty boring, but where I live (San Antonio), black seems
to be the predominant color for Bimmers, with Titanium bringing up a close second.
Alpine White looks nice on the F10, but a lot of cars in white tend to look like rolling
refrigerators. I totally agree with you regarding Milano Beige. But different strokes
for different folks--that's what makes life interesting. :)

markl53
09-27-2010, 10:39 AM
I have also seen the 7 series carbon black metallic (really a misnomer since this is very dark blue!) which is offered with M package.
Actually, if you've seen pieces of charcoal (ie., carbon) there is a very dark bluish tinge and this is what the color is trying to achieve.

Here are my $0.02 worth:
I think you mean Black Sapphire when you mention "graphite black metallic". BTW, it takes quite a bit of bright sun to really light up my Black Sapphire. For me, it's much more interesting a color than Jet Black, but that's me. If you notice, the "sparkles" are actually multi color, making Black Sapphire a classic in the BMW line.

Yes sir!

Gaucho
09-27-2010, 10:48 AM
[QUOTE=markl53;5500864]Actually, if you've seen pieces of charcoal (ie., carbon) there is a very dark bluish tinge and this is what the color is trying to achieve.

Everything looks dark in the mine! You make a good point. And the color does achieve this.

By the way, this color is very rich looking and with black, oyster/black or beige it is extremely elegant. The 7 series I saw had a beige interior and it looked great.

Correct on the Black Sapphire name! Sorry.

CarBrain
09-27-2010, 10:49 AM
Gaucho & Ronsell,

Thanks for the negative opinion on the color Milano Beige. It is very important to know how others think of the color also. Of course, the final decision would be mine but I just like opinions/constructive criticism from other minds. Thanks.

Keep the feedback rolling.

markl53
09-27-2010, 01:27 PM
Gaucho & Ronsell,

Thanks for the negative opinion on the color Milano Beige. It is very important to know how others think of the color also. Of course, the final decision would be mine but I just like opinions/constructive criticism from other minds. Thanks.

Keep the feedback rolling.

Well, in the end though, YOU have to be happy, it's not necessarily what others think. That said, and that you appreciate negative as well as positive, I think Milano might be one of the last colors I would choose for the F10. I have not seen it in person, but it strikes me as more a Lincoln Continental color, something for a luxury cruiser so to speak. I'm sure it's a lovely color, but I don't think it would bring out the best in the new 5. I also don't think I'd be crazy about Alpine White, Cashmere Beige or even Titanium silver -- too light. I'm not sure why your wife is demanding a "bright" color, but something more subdued, more masculine and sophisticated would bring out the agressive lines more, IMO. If you want something different, Mojave may be interesting. I've seen a 3 convertibe in this color with a saddle interior and it was nice. Muted and elegant looking. Going totally opposite, I've seen a Deep Sea Blue 528i and surprisingly, it looked very nice, not as bright as I had thought when I saw it on a 328i. That paired with Cinnamon might be very striking. I went around and around with colors so I know your agony. In the end I went with Black Sapphire for the 3rd time, I'm still happy I did. I think the car will look good no matter the color, that's why the choice is so difficult.

CarBrain
09-27-2010, 03:41 PM
I think the car will look good no matter the color, that's why the choice is so difficult.

I think this sums it all up.

By the way, the reason that we like the Milano Beige color is because it looks luxurious. We want a more luxurious look than a sporty look. With the 550i, the 400 hp provides the sporty function so I guess picking this beige color is like driving a Mercedes Benz E550 (luxury attribute) but with a BMW engine for performance.

markl53
09-27-2010, 04:03 PM
I think this sums it all up.

By the way, the reason that we like the Milano Beige color is because it looks luxurious. We want a more luxurious look than a sporty look. With the 550i, the 400 hp provides the sporty function so I guess picking this beige color is like driving a Mercedes Benz E550 (luxury attribute) but with a BMW engine for performance.

That sounds like a good compromise. Like I said, I haven't seen it in person, but it looks nice on the BMW site -- it looks like it has some richness to it. It won't be as common as some of the other lighter colors, like silver, so it will be more distinctive. It sounds like you and your wife really like Milano, so stick to it. I think the beige interior will be a more around soft image where the cinnamon will set it off a bit -- can't go wrong either way I think. Good luck, and let us know!