PDA

View Full Version : BMW SOS vs LoJack

mdspadeccom
09-26-2010, 11:41 PM
The BMW finance representative tried hard to sell me LoJack stolen car tracking, but today I discovered that the 2011 535i SOS service (included in the purchase) provides the same (or better?) protection. This experience makes it hard to trust a dealer that still urges the former.

Question -- is the BMW stolen vehicle tracking for real?

melor
09-27-2010, 12:13 AM
Personally, I like the services of this company...

http://www.usfleettracking.com/

I have one of their units in my daughter's car. She leaves home, it sends me a text. She Gets to school, I get a text. She Leaves school, I get a text... You get the idea.

Also, If she leaves the greater local area, or speeds, I get a text.

Got a call on a foggy night. Dad, I have a flat tire and I am OK, I pulled off the main road onto a side road and I am not sure the name of the road.... No problem. Logged onto the internet site, and it showed me exactly where she was. Not just an address, but it showed me where in the parking lot she pulled into she was parked....

I have the unit "installed" in a cardboard box. It gets power from a cigarette lighter plug. My wife needed to take a road trip from Orange County to San Francisco by herself. Unplugged from Daughter's car and popped into hers. While at work, I could log onto my PC and see where she was. If she "dissapeared" it would take a minute to find her last reported location. Now I know it's not everyday that someone drives off the highway and rolls over in a ditch out of view from the highway, but if she did....

Peace of mind like that is priceless.

Now, if I recall, you can also get the unit installed in such a way that you can send a signal to kill an electric fuel pump, roll up the windows, etc... I know that many of these features can be replicated with LoJack or SOS services, but with this one, you don't need "permission" to view the location or have to speak to a human being. You simply log onto the website and enter your user name and password and you are in.

Paul

markl53
09-27-2010, 08:52 AM
The BMW finance representative tried hard to sell me LoJack stolen car tracking, but today I discovered that the 2011 535i SOS service (included in the purchase) provides the same (or better?) protection. This experience makes it hard to trust a dealer that still urges the former.

I bought my 3rd BMW from the same dealer. When I get there to take delivery, I tell them I want to get out of there as fast as possible and I WILL NOT BE BUYING ANY OPTIONAL COVERAGES. I demand they print the papers, let me sign, and give me the key. They will keep you there for a couple more hours trying their last chance to score more $$$.

Question -- is the BMW stolen vehicle tracking for real?

As I understand it, you need to file a police report and refer to that before they will track your vehicle.

gEEkChris
09-27-2010, 09:19 AM
Why do you want the car back after some crackhead has joyrided in it and put his stank all over the car? I'll take a check instead, thanks.

quackbury
09-27-2010, 01:00 PM
@mdspade: Here in MA we get the same anti-theft discount on our auto insurance with BMW Assist vs. Lojack. The only potential advantage I can see with Lojack is that local PD's have / had Lojack receivers, so conceivably could track the stolen car without the help of BMW. BFD.

@melor: Your post reminds me of:

nosnoop
09-28-2010, 02:58 AM
And the BMW Assist can be disabled very easily by professional thieves.

If you don't want to pay an expensive monthly fee, you can install a $88 tracker yourself:
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.29284
http://www1.dealextreme.com/productimages/sku_29284_2.jpg

Just put in a pre-paid SIM, and you are all set.

But remember, if you are dealing with a pro, none of these would work.