PDA

View Full Version : Is it o.k. to have 550i without Dynamic Handling Package

CarBrain
09-27-2010, 09:04 PM
I know that the topic about the Dynamic Handling Package has been beaten to death but I want to bring this up just before I make the order.

My wife and I was about the make the order for the 550i today and when I told the sale representative that I want to get Dynamic Handling Package with it since I read in these BMW forum(s) that this option is one of the "must-have."

Anyway, the sales rep told me wife that the Dynamic Handling Package may be a waste of money because it will not be used that often and that we could save $2,455 by not having it. He states that the 550i will provide plenty of power with good handling and at the same time comfort so switching driving style would not be needed. Also, my wife would be the main driver of the 550i so she would just like to push the gas pedal and go.
Of course my wife heard about the savings and now she does not want to have that option.

We postponed the order and would like another day to think about it before ordering.

So now my question to you all is:

Is it o.k. to not have the Dynamic Handling Package in the 550i? Would the saving in $$$ outweigh the functionality of the DH package?

By the way, we are getting the Sports Package.

1HOT BMR
09-27-2010, 09:15 PM
I know that the topic about the Dynamic Handling Package has been beaten to death but I want to bring this up just before I make the order.

My wife and I was about the make the order for the 550i today and when I told the sale representative that I want to get Dynamic Handling Package with it since I read in these BMW forum(s) that this option is one of the "must-have."

Anyway, the sales rep told me wife that the Dynamic Handling Package may be a waste of money because it will not be used that often and that we could save $2,455 by not having it. He states that the 550i will provide plenty of power with good handling and at the same time comfort so switching driving style would not be needed. Also, my wife would be the main driver of the 550i so she would just like to push the gas pedal and go.
Of course my wife heard about the savings and now she does not want to have that option.

We postponed the order and would like another day to think about it before ordering.

So now my question to you all is:

Is it o.k. to not have the Dynamic Handling Package in the 550i? Would the saving in $$$ outweigh the functionality of the DH package?

The salesman has a point. If your wife will be doing most of the driving and she doesn't care much about the handling then by all means save the money. I suspect Dynamic Handling is a bit like the paddles on an automatic transmission, you play with it for a while and then you forget about it and leave it in Drive - permanently! Now you have a car with a regular automatic transmission. For me Dynamic Handling is a must have, but this will be my car and I will be doing 100% of the driving.

listerone
09-27-2010, 09:28 PM
I'm no expert on subjects like this but it seems to me that the more time the car spends on the Interstate and doing errands around town the less need there is for Dynamic Handling...whereas the more time it spends on winding mountain roads the more need there is.

mlai
09-27-2010, 10:49 PM
I have the F10 550i with IAS but no DHP and loved the car. 90% of my commutes are city and up and down hills. the f10 feels very comfy for those.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using BimmerApp