PDA

View Full Version : BMW News: BMW wins major order to supply Saab with engines

tim330i
09-29-2010, 10:05 AM
The BMW Group has received a major order from Swedish automobile manufacturer Saab to provide petrol engines. The contract for delivery of the engines as of 2012 was signed on Wednesday by Ian Robertson, member of the Board of Management of BMW AG, responsible for Sales and Marketing, and the CEO of Saab Automobile, Jan Åke Jonsson, in Trollhättan in Sweden. The 4-cylinder engine with latest fuel savings technologies is intended for a new Saab model series. Both companies have agreed not to disclose any financial or contract volume details.

“We are continuing to expand our powertrain system sales business worldwide as planned as part of our Strategy Number ONE. Today’s agreement marks another important milestone along this route,” explained Robertson. “We are delighted to support Saab with our engine expertise. Our engines have a clear lead over the competition when it comes to fuel consumption, emissions and performance,” Robertson added.

“It gives me great pleasure to confirm this exciting new relationship. BMW Group’s engines and their fuel savings innovations are widely regarded as a benchmark in the premium segment. We look forward to integrating this technology into our next-generation vehicles in a true Saab way,” noted Jonsson.

The engine, which will feature Start-Stop and other measures designed to reduce emissions and fuel consumption, will be assembled at the BMW Group’s Hams Hall engine plant in the UK.

Engine development and construction are among the BMW Group’s core competences and have shaped the company since it was founded in 1916. Today, the BMW Group has a strong network with a total of 24 production facilities in 13 countries, including three engine plants in Steyr, Austria; Munich, Germany; and Hams Hall, UK.

Kandiru
09-29-2010, 05:15 PM
SAAB badge after the Roundel DNA hybridization:
http://images.saabsunited.com/Saab_bmw2_767069i-300x203.jpg

Funny eh?

SAAB did cars with Lancia (9000) and the Holden Ozzie engines from GM, but BMW?
Well done Jan Ake, you couldn't have done better, the Bavarian I-6 in any reincarnation
is a very competent product.

I just hope they put that wicked biturbo Diesel from the 335d 254hp with 420 lb/ft with
36 mpg in the new 9-3. Sick specs, i get dizzy just reading them.

The best news i have heard since they released the new 9-5http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/images/smilies/thumb.gif

SARAFIL
09-29-2010, 06:15 PM
SAAB badge after the Roundel DNA hybridization:
http://images.saabsunited.com/Saab_bmw2_767069i-300x203.jpg

Funny eh?

SAAB did cars with Lancia (9000) and the Holden Ozzie engines from GM, but BMW?
Well done Jan Ake, you couldn't have done better, the Bavarian I-6 in any reincarnation
is a very competent product.

I just hope they put that wicked biturbo Diesel from the 335d 254hp with 420 lb/ft with
36 mpg in the new 9-3. Sick specs, i get dizzy just reading them.

The best news i have heard since they released the new 9-5http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/images/smilies/thumb.gif

Did you read the details on this transaction?

It will be the 1.6L turbo 4-cylinder engine, the same family used in the MINI Cooper S. BMW is very hesitant to sell their inline-6 cylinder engines to other carmakers.

mhrir
10-21-2010, 02:55 PM
+1 on reading before posting.

Saab has a lot of challenges ahead of it. Let's remember that Spyker has basically not made any money since it was formed. Not to mention the disasterous drop in sales Saab has experienced in the US. I have like Saabs since I was in high school back in the 80s when they were funky like Volvos. I tuned out after that. Saab needs to get back to its niche and not try to be as mass market like when GM was driving them into the ground.

Hu99
12-28-2010, 05:50 PM
Where the hell has Saab gone? They've had a website in Canada stating that they'll be back in 2010 with 2011 models but as of Dec 28/10 still nothing.

dalekressin
12-28-2010, 05:59 PM
I drove a Saab on th autobahn and it was a very nice ride. Handled well at high speeds. I think Saab is history since the competition is to strong.

SARAFIL
12-28-2010, 07:32 PM
Where the hell has Saab gone? They've had a website in Canada stating that they'll be back in 2010 with 2011 models but as of Dec 28/10 still nothing.

Not sure what they're doing in Canada, but they're back in the US. The 9-5 is on the market and the new 9-4x crossover will be out in a few months.

BMWenthusiast
12-30-2010, 12:41 AM
More engines for BMW aside from the news about suppling diesel engines for Carbon Motors from a few months back. Make some more engine sales and hopefully get them hooked. Wonder what type of car it would be though with a 4 cylinder.

Andrew*Debbie
01-01-2011, 04:01 AM
Wonder what type of car it would be though with a 4 cylinder.

More than a few Saabs sold in the US have 4-cylinder motors including the 900 and 9000.

As noted above Saab is buying UK built motors used in MINI, Peugeot and Citroen cars. The current range is from 75HP to 210HP. I don't see SAAB putting the 8 valve 75HP engine into any car sold in the US. I've driven a car with the 8valve motor and its uninspiring. The 95HP 16v motor is better but not powerful enough for the US. BMW builds a couple of diesels too. That might only happen if BMW helps out with Federalizing.
My money is the 184HP motor in the base model and the 210HP in a high trim. With that kind of power it will be a smaller sedan and coupe possibly sharing a platform with the next generation MINI or 1 series.