PDA

View Full Version : Q on BMW leases and extra fees

alexblanc
12-24-2003, 09:22 PM
Just got an estimate on leasing a 3-series. Besides the usual monthly depreciation and finance charge, it contained a number of other fees: acquisition fee, disposal fee, and deposit. These fees drive the effective interest rate of a lease to something very high and unreasonable.

Several consumer Web sites tell that these fees are negotiable and can be waived by dealers. Has anyone been able to negotiate their way out of these fees?

Thanks in advance!!!

beware_phog
12-25-2003, 07:03 AM
Just got an estimate on leasing a 3-series. Besides the usual monthly depreciation and finance charge, it contained a number of other fees: acquisition fee, disposal fee, and deposit. These fees drive the effective interest rate of a lease to something very high and unreasonable.

Several consumer Web sites tell that these fees are negotiable and can be waived by dealers. Has anyone been able to negotiate their way out of these fees?

Thanks in advance!!!

No need to double post; our great dealers on the board are pretty responsive.

jvr826
12-28-2003, 10:08 PM

Thanks in advance!!!

I'm on my third BMWFS lease. I've never returned a leased vehicle, I've sold 2 of them prior to lease end. I've never put a deposit (cap reduction) because to me that defeats the purpose of a lease, not tying up any cash. It's a long term rental to me. Now I have heard of some "multiple security deposit" kind of thing where you can get a better money factor, but I haven't looked into that. Also, if this is your first BMWFS lease they will require a security deposit of some sort - not quite sure why. Returning leasees can ask to have that eliminated - I've done this twice.

Now, on the acquisition fee portion, I have learned this: with my first lease experience in 1996 the selling dealer tried to sneak a $1500 bank fee into the equation. That's right! Other dealers were charging $450 at the time. When I questioned them they told me that fee could be set to anything they wanted up to $2000. I told them to make it $450 like the other dealers. I'd shop around by phone to ask what others are charging and try to negotiate it down to that, or eliminate it altogether.

ymmv,