PDA

View Full Version : Sending google maps - fail

davidorn
09-30-2010, 01:04 PM
So I've had my 2011 535 for a week now and have yet to get working the ability to send an address to the car nav system. I've talked to BMW Assist several times now. We've verified the email address, removed it and added it back in, they've run some special sauce script google gave them, etc. Still now joy. The Google Maps UI says that the address was sent but I have yet to see a message in the Messages section of the BMW Assist menu item in the car.

Talked to my CA and he didn't have any ideas.

How annoying after all that money spent... :tsk:

Anybody figured out how to get the new BMW app for the iphone in the U.S. so I can try sending that way?

Any other troubleshooting ideas?

da40flyer
09-30-2010, 01:31 PM
After sending from Google, is the email bouncing back or do you simply not see the address under the BMW Assist menu on the i-drive?

rdlm
09-30-2010, 02:10 PM
Sending from Google Maps was failing silently for me most of the time. Every once in a while it would work, but slowly. I was also having flaky connection problems with the SOS button, which I discovered while trying to do the final activation over-the-air. BMW Assist said everything looked great from their end. When I took it into the dealership, they discovered that the computer was still [partialy?] set to "transport mode". Once they changed this, it all started working flawlessly.

davidorn
09-30-2010, 02:22 PM
@da40flyer - I do not get a bounce message when I send a map entry. I also tried using a different email address than the one I'm registered under and I *did* get a bounce to that address, so I know what you're talking about and, no, I didn't get one of those at my primary email address (the one registered on the bmw assist account).

@rdlm -- I haven't had it work even once. BMW Assist claims that I am fully registered with them, but... can you think of any specific test I could definitively do to see if I'm having the "transport mode is still on" problem you had? Was there an easy to reproduce symptom that you had that you could name that I could check on my car? Somehow it seems implausible that my car could still be in "transport mode" as I haven't noticed anything else odd, but hey...

rdlm
09-30-2010, 02:46 PM
Nothing was odd other than Google Maps usually failing, and the SOS button not working reliably (discovered when I tried to complete registration).

The service advisor, as well as the shop foreman, kept insisting that Sending from Google Maps isn't supported unless you purchase the $199/year "Convenience plan" upgrade to BMW Assist, and so the failure was expected. Sigh. It took a few discussions to educate them that there is the standard/free "Send" from Google Maps (aka MyInfo), and there is the higher end optional Google Search integration. I finally pointed them to the BMW brochure downloadable at the bottom of http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Content/Owner/BMWAssist/Default.aspx.

Once they understood the problem was real, it was diagnosed and resolved in about 30 minutes. I believe they said that they saw an error logged in the computer which indicated the problem. And I believe they said that the mode was changed/fixed just using the iDrive GUI (I assume through hidden maintenance menus?). I'm sure that if you took it into the shop, they could check this for you. Since they made this change, it's been working flawlessly for me.

da40flyer
10-01-2010, 11:30 AM
@da40flyer - I do not get a bounce message when I send a map entry. I also tried using a different email address than the one I'm registered under and I *did* get a bounce to that address, so I know what you're talking about and, no, I didn't get one of those at my primary email address (the one registered on the bmw assist account).

So, email doesn't get bounced.

The next question is where are you looking for the address to show up in I-Drive? Are you looking under "Main Menu" - "BMW Assist" - "Messages" ?

Please don't take my question the wrong way. I always find that when trouble shooting problems with my customers, I always start out with the obvious....

I actually had a next door neighbor ask for my help with his lawn mower that he couldn't get started. I'm sure you can guess what the problem was.... no gas. And he was an intelligent guy. Just simply overlooked the obvious.....

davidorn
10-04-2010, 09:50 PM
For what it's worth, this is semi-resolved. I had them change my email address to something else (a different but valid address) and it's working.

Of course, now I'm having the problems that others have mentioned. Many of the addresses I send come through, but are parsed COMPLETELY WRONG. I get the wrong city, etc...

I love my car, but I'm strating to hate the nav system...

Beemerup
10-05-2010, 12:01 PM
Really??? GOOGLE? please. it's a shame we don't have a choice in this as BING is really far superior.

davidorn
10-05-2010, 12:43 PM
I agree (about Bing).

But...

In this case the issue is actually with the nav system failing to parse the addresses correctly from the message that arrives in BMW Assist. It reads right to the human eye but when you "accept" it as a destination into the nav system it doesn't parse it right and makes errors (e.g., picking Adelaide, WA instead of Redmond, WA)...