PDA

View Full Version : Question about the break in period

CarBrain
10-03-2010, 08:31 AM
When I receive my 550i, I will driving from the dealership to my home which is about 90 miles.

Is it o.k. to drive such a long distance the first time I receive the car? This will be a non-stop drive.

My car has the regular steptronic automatic without dynamic handling.

Mr. Magic
10-03-2010, 08:41 AM
I have never seen any recommended restrictions other than 2 items:

1) Dealer and owners manual will tell you to keep below 4500 rpm for the first 1200 miles. If you have 8-speed auto, and don't punch down, then it should never get that high. But if you do by mistake, I wouldn't worry much.
2) Also, try not to stay in the same gear the whole time on the highway. Vary the gearing around a bit. My guess is you'll be enjoying the accelerations, so it should be fine. Just try not to rev it up too high for first 1200 miles.

helodrive
10-03-2010, 08:43 AM
There is a section in your owners manual that talks about the break-in period. I don't have mine in front of me but as I remember it says don't exceed 4500 rpm but double check. My drive was 120 miles and I kept below 4500 rpm and varied the speed a little.....I have done this with the last three new BMW's I have owned and no problems.

Good luck

markl53
10-03-2010, 09:34 AM
In regular "D" mode, I find the auto trans likes to stay at very low rpm's when driving "gently". I leave mine in "DS" mode a good part of the time to keep the revs up a little more and let the engine exercise a bit. I'm coming from 12 years of driving manuals and typically, driving a manual keeps the engine at higher revs, this is not necessarily a bad thing during break-in. You don't want to never let the engine breathe a little and get to 4500 rpm a few times.

AzNMpower32
10-03-2010, 11:58 AM
There is nothing wrong with a drive of any length during break-in. Check the owner's manual for complete details. A couple points of interest.

First 500km

Try to avoid heavy braking (ABS)
All new tires have a thin film on the tread from the manufacture process, so full handling capabilities can't be completely realised. Try not to drive like on a race track.

First 2000km

Vary the revs, avoid staying at the same rpm for an extended period of time.
Try not to exceed 160km/h or 4500rpm. It won't kill you if you do, just don't make a habit of it.

dunccfp
10-03-2010, 04:45 PM
It all bull****e.......I've been driving for 33 years and have broken all my cars in the same. Take it to redline but don't keep it there for too long. That's it.....never had a problem.

1HOT BMR
10-03-2010, 05:23 PM
My take is to drive it normally without taking it to redline in every gear and to make sure that the oil is up to temperature before I do any spirited acceleration. In fact, I believe the variety of engine speeds and loads is better for the engine to properly seat the rings and bearings. I will change the oil at 1500, 7500, 15000 and every 7.5K thereafter. :thumbup:

melor
10-03-2010, 05:48 PM
My take is to drive it normally without taking it to redline in every gear and to make sure that the oil is up to temperature before I do any spirited acceleration. In fact, I believe the variety of engine speeds and loads is better for the engine to properly seat the rings and bearings. I will change the oil at 1500, 7500, 15000 and every 7.5K thereafter. :thumbup:

I have to agree with the drive it normally. I was particularly careful not to stress the engine too much till the oil temp reached normal working temp, but I continue to do that in my car now...

Paul

quackbury
10-04-2010, 08:20 AM
If you are driving 90 miles, you should NOT do it non-stop. It is EXTREMELY important to stop every 10-15 miles, get out of the car, rand un around it 3 times, yelling "WOO HOO!" If you are under 50 years old and under 250 pounds, doing cartwheels is also appropriate.

BTW BMW has always recommended varying the speed / RPM's during break-in. If you use cruise control on the drive home, you may want to vary the speed. This may not be any more helpful than the cartwheels, though.

PS: bed the brakes, to extend the life of the pads and rotors. If you do not know how, do a Google search.