PDA

View Full Version : 550i xDrive arrived at dealer on Friday will pick it up today.

richschneid
10-04-2010, 09:13 AM
Dealer called me this morning. 550i xDrive arrived late Friday. I will pick it up this afternoon. Looks just like everyone else's. Mine is Imperial Blue, Beige interior, anthracite headliner, sport package type 332 wheels.

Ivo Andric
10-04-2010, 11:14 AM
Congrats!
Can wait to hear your first impressions, especially hydraulic steering

rigel12
10-04-2010, 12:29 PM
One of the first in the U.S. !!! We're all standing by to hear your first report Rich!! Super congrats in advance. :guitar:

solstice
10-04-2010, 12:37 PM
That's cool, the first X-drive review is hours away! However I'll need to invert all driving impressions. I:e if rich hates it I know I'll love it.... So I'm now hoping for a review from rich that includes "pre-historic steering" :)

rigel12
10-04-2010, 02:43 PM
That's cool, the first X-drive review is hours away! However I'll need to invert all driving impressions. I:e if rich hates it I know I'll love it.... So I'm now hoping for a review from rich that includes "pre-historic steering" :)

HA!! But hey, there is no doubt we're about to get a better review on this F10 version than any of the professional writers. With Rich, we'll get a blend of science, math, BMW experience, sports impression and the all important human element. Whether we agree, disagree, like or dislike his observations, the cool point is when it comes to accuracy, I'll place my bet on his review over any magazine writer anytime. :roundel:

Newmanium
10-04-2010, 03:09 PM
HA!! But hey, there is no doubt we're about to get a better review on this F10 version than any of the professional writers. With Rich, we'll get a blend of science, math, BMW experience, sports impression and the all important human element. Whether we agree, disagree, like or dislike his observations, the cool point is when it comes to accuracy, I'll place my bet on his review over any magazine writer anytime. :roundel:

The question is whether it will be amazing, incredible, or a shotgun wedding between luxury and sport.

richschneid
10-04-2010, 03:52 PM
Oh My God!

This is not your grandfather's 5 series. Solstice is correct this is definitely not the car for him.

This is absolutely positively the car for me. First of all, before I even drove it the sound system completely blew me away. The salesman in the car with me had never heard anything like it before. But it was mainly the 256 kHz iTunes downloads on my new iPod classic that was the source. The FM and Sat radio sounded great, but "Babe" by Styx in 256 kHz iPod was beyond description. I have the iPod adapter.

My steering is hydralic but is adjustable for effort. Just use sport mode for normal driving and hit comfort for the parking lots and Pittsburgh potholes. On the highway there is no wander even in Comfort mode. The ratio is variable, quick at low speeds, more directional stability at high speed. Not much different than the active steering on my 650i, but definitely too light for Solstice in comfort mode a low city speeds. Didn't feel so light on the highway, however. The suspension in comfort mode absorbs city street irregularities like a Lexus, but the highway on ramp was purely BMW in sport mode.

Going along at 60 mph and paddle shifting quickly from 8th to forth and just pushing slightly on the accelerator had me at 85 in seconds. So fast I had to hit the brakes. It makes my 650i seem sluggish even though it's 700 lbs heavier. This is not a 535i.

I didn't push it of course. That will have to wait until I have some more experience with it. So, no final deicsion on the Goodyear all season RFTs, but they are certainly not noisy or harsh in any way whatsoever.

The type 332 wheels look great and there is no need to have them chromed. Saved two grand on that one.

Wow! What a car. I can't wait to drive it to New York next week. Who would want to sit on an airplane when you can travel like that. :)

solstice
10-04-2010, 04:47 PM
Oh My God!

This is not your grandfather's 5 series. Solstice is correct this is definitely not the car for him.

This is absolutely positively the car for me. First of all, before I even drove it the sound system completely blew me away. The salesman in the car with me had never heard anything like it before. But it was mainly the 256 kHz iTunes downloads on my new iPod classic that was the source. The FM and Sat radio sounded great, but "Babe" by Styx in 256 kHz iPod was beyond description. I have the iPod adapter.

My steering is hydralic but is adjustable for effort. Just use sport mode for normal driving and hit comfort for the parking lots and Pittsburgh potholes. On the highway there is no wander even in Comfort mode. The ratio is variable, quick at low speeds, more directional stability at high speed. Not much different than the active steering on my 650i, but definitely too light for Solstice in comfort mode a low city speeds. Didn't feel so light on the highway, however. The suspension in comfort mode absorbs city street irregularities like a Lexus, but the highway on ramp was purely BMW in sport mode.

Going along at 60 mph and paddle shifting quickly from 8th to forth and just pushing slightly on the accelerator had me at 85 in seconds. So fast I had to hit the brakes. It makes my 650i seem sluggish even though it's 700 lbs heavier. This is not a 535i.

I didn't push it of course. That will have to wait until I have some more experience with it. So, no final deicsion on the Goodyear all season RFTs, but they are certainly not noisy or harsh in any way whatsoever.

The type 332 wheels look great and there is no need to have them chromed. Saved two grand on that one.

Wow! What a car. I can't wait to drive it to New York next week. Who would want to sit on an airplane when you can travel like that. :)

Glad you like it rich. Seriously, did you actually consider to put chromed wheels on this car :tsk: You and I really are galaxies apart in preferences.

quackbury
10-04-2010, 05:29 PM
: popcorn:

quackbury
10-04-2010, 05:41 PM
Now I am just waiting to hear how the Premium Sound is superior to Richie's $25,000 home system. (Disclaimer: I am NOT an audiophile, but I do have a Linn Sondek with an Ittok arm and a Koetsu Black. Though it has never had to suffer through Styx).

richschneid
10-04-2010, 06:10 PM
Glad you like it rich. Seriously, did you actually consider to put chromed wheels on this car :tsk: You and I really are galaxies apart in preferences.

The only reason I thought of chromed wheels was because they looked great on the 650i. I had never seen the 332s live, but I agree the minute I saw them I didn't give it a second thought. I have never had chromed wheels before, but if you saw them on the 6 you might have liked them too.

richschneid
10-04-2010, 06:20 PM
Now I am just waiting to hear how the Premium Sound is superior to Richie's $25,000 home system. (Disclaimer: I am NOT an audiophile, but I do have a Linn Sondek with an Ittok arm and a Koetsu Black. Though it has never had to suffer through Styx).

Never played Styx on my VPI and my Grado signature. Do not like moving coil cartideges. But I cannot listen to CDs in general, only listen at home to vinyl. But the 256 kHz digital sound from iTunes on this system is absolutely the best digital sound I have ever heard. I'm going to try plugging it into my preamp and see how it sounds through my Thiels. Thanks for the suggestion. I'll let you know how it compares to the sound in the car.

The most important aspect of any sound system is not the speakers or electronics it is the source. That is why live music is always the best. And live music without any electronic amplification is the best.

solstice
10-04-2010, 06:41 PM
The only reason I thought of chromed wheels was because they looked great on the 650i. I had never seen the 332s live, but I agree the minute I saw them I didn't give it a second thought. I have never had chromed wheels before, but if you saw them on the 6 you might have liked them too.

Absolutely no chance, zilch, nada, none.

rigel12
10-04-2010, 07:14 PM

Never played Styx on my VPI and my Grado signature. Do not like moving coil cartideges. I'm going to try plugging it into my preamp and see how it sounds through my Thiels. Thanks for the suggestion. I'll let you know how it compares to the sound in the car.

CHECKMATE at it's quintessential finest! Ooohhhhhhhh am I gonna sleep well tonight. :throw:

MBlack78
10-04-2010, 08:30 PM
Would love to see some pics. I just ordered my 550i xdrive Friday. Happy driving!

quackbury
10-04-2010, 08:53 PM

Well, that's your loss then. Obviously YOU don't have a PhD in physics. If you did, you would appreciate the beneficial effect that chrome plating has on unsprung weight and rotational mass. :D

richschneid
10-05-2010, 03:16 AM
Well, that's your loss then. Obviously YOU don't have a PhD in physics. If you did, you would appreciate the beneficial effect that chrome plating has on unsprung weight and rotational mass. :D

The increase in unsprung weight from my chromed wheels was about a total of 12 lbs or less. You don't need a PhD in physics to know you can't actually "feel" that in a 3800 lb car.

richschneid
10-05-2010, 03:23 AM

You love to have opinions about things you don't know. Having an opinion about something you haven't actually seen is somewhat silly. I can't tell you how many compliments I have gotten from about the looks of my 650i, especally the wheels. The chromed wheels go great with the stratus gray exterior and beige interior. The young man who manages the finances at my dealership is a law school graduate who bought himself a new 3 series coupe last Spring. He told me yesterday that he has to see my 650i on the dealer's lot everyday and wishes he hadn't bought his car so that he could have bought mine. He absolutely loves the way it looks with the chromed wheels.

I agree with you that chromed wheels would look completely out of place on a 550i.

BTW, I forgot to mention that the comfort seats on the 550i are the best seats I have ever experienced in a car.

Munich77
10-05-2010, 05:27 AM
You love to have opinions about things you don't know. Having an opinion about something you haven't actually seen is somewhat silly. I can't tell you how many compliments I have gotten from about the looks of my 650i, especally the wheels. The chromed wheels go great with the stratus gray exterior and beige interior. The young man who manages the finances at my dealership is a law school graduate who bought himself a new 3 series coupe last fall. He told me yesterday that he has to see my 650i on the dealer's lot everyday and wishes he hadn't bought his car so that he could have bought mine. He absolutely loves the way it looks with the chromed wheels.

I agree with you that chromed wheels would look completely out of place on a 550i.

BTW, I forgot to mention that the comfort seats on the 550i are the best seats I have ever experienced in a car.

Thanks for all your info - it sounds like the 550 xi is the ultimate all weather driving machine :).

Newmanium
10-05-2010, 08:36 AM
You love to have opinions about things you don't know. Having an opinion about something you haven't actually seen is somewhat silly. I can't tell you how many compliments I have gotten from about the looks of my 650i, especally the wheels. The chromed wheels go great with the stratus gray exterior and beige interior. The young man who manages the finances at my dealership is a law school graduate who bought himself a new 3 series coupe last Spring. He told me yesterday that he has to see my 650i on the dealer's lot everyday and wishes he hadn't bought his car so that he could have bought mine. He absolutely loves the way it looks with the chromed wheels.

I've never seen any car look good with chrome wheels, period. I'm sure there are lots of people who love them - just head over to the E65 (last 7-series) board, just about everybody on there loves huge, chromed out wheels. Most of the cars I've seen on there scream, "I live with my mom and put all my money into this car to impress my friends."

But I will say the 550i comfort seats are spectacular. I just wouldn't know what to do with that power, on my test drive there were two spots I could rev it for about 7 seconds before slamming on the brakes. Otherwise it was just seeing how quick I could jump off a stoplight to... 45 mph. Sucks to live in a city!!

quackbury
10-05-2010, 09:13 AM
I've never seen any car look good with chrome wheels, period. I'm sure there are lots of people who love them - just head over to the E65 (last 7-series) board, just about everybody on there loves huge, chromed out wheels. Most of the cars I've seen on there scream, "I live with my mom and put all my money into this car to impress my friends."

You and I agree on a lot of things, but not on this one. To me, chrome wheels on a 650 don't scream "I live with my mom." Rather they scream "I'm a gangsta, pimp, NBA third round draft choice, and/or Lindsay Lohan."

Like this guy:

richschneid
10-05-2010, 12:25 PM
I tried to upload a picture of my 650i. Don't know if it will work.

Didn't work. Too many pixels, 4000 x 3000. Any suggestions?

On the steering of my new car. Effort is quite speed sensitive. Really tightens up above 30-40 mph. Tires not as grippy as the Potenzas as expected. Acceleration onto the interstate, outrageous.

solstice
10-05-2010, 01:03 PM
You and I agree on a lot of things, but not on this one. To me, chrome wheels on a 650 don't scream "I live with my mom." Rather they scream "I'm a gangsta, pimp, NBA third round draft choice, and/or Lindsay Lohan."

Like this guy:

...couldn't have said it better myself. It's like seeing a classy woman made up like the skankiest of prostitutes, a shameful thing.

richschneid
10-05-2010, 01:18 PM
...couldn't have said it better myself. It's like seeing a classy woman made up like the skankiest of prostitutes, a shameful thing.

Would love to show you a picture. Any suggestions?

richschneid
10-05-2010, 03:52 PM
Here's the pictures of my 650i with the sport package BMW wheels that the dealer sent to California to have chromed for me at his suggestion when I bought the car in 2005. He and I also agreed that the type 332 wheels on the 550i I picked up yesterday should not be chromed.

This is from his ad on Autotrader. 24 pics

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=c&car_id=286213291&dealer_id=614522&car_year=2006&rdm=1286318805518&lastStartYear=2006&model=650I&num_records=25&systime=&make2=&h

solstice
10-05-2010, 04:32 PM
Here's the pictures of my 650i with the sport package BMW wheels that the dealer sent to California to have chromed for me at his suggestion when I bought the car in 2005. He and I also agreed that the type 332 wheels on the 550i I picked up yesterday should not be chromed.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=c&car_id=286213291&dealer_id=614522&car_year=2006&rdm=1286318805518&lastStartYear=2006&model=650I&num_records=25&systime=&make2=&h

Sorry rich but that picture is a perfect example of what I was refering to. Taste is personal and ours are not even in the same universe. To me those rims totally spoils a car that I otherwise think is pretty cool looking.

Newmanium
10-05-2010, 04:53 PM
Yeah, sorry, but I find them hideous - chrome just always looks cheap, like the gaudy jewelry you pickup in Chinatown in NY. Case in point, can't really think of any high end car manufacturer that offers chrome wheels as a stock option.

Interested
10-05-2010, 04:53 PM
This is about a new 550i!!! Can we see some pictures of the new car??:yikes:

richschneid
10-05-2010, 06:04 PM
Yeah, sorry, but I find them hideous - chrome just always looks cheap, like the gaudy jewelry you pickup in Chinatown in NY. Case in point, can't really think of any high end car manufacturer that offers chrome wheels as a stock option.

I thought they were beautiful and so did a lot of other people. But as Solstice always says, he likes what he likes and doesn't care what anyone else thinks. I really got a lot of enjoyment from them for five years.

richschneid
10-05-2010, 06:06 PM
This is about a new 550i!!! Can we see some pictures of the new car??:yikes:

Sorry, but when I take a picture with my digital camera it goes onto my computer as 4000x3000 pixels and this blog cannot upload a picture with that many pixels. Maybe you can tell me how to do it so that it works.

Kamdog
10-05-2010, 06:09 PM
Sorry, but when I take a picture with my digital camera it goes onto my computer as 4000x3000 pixels and this blog cannot upload a picture with that many pixels. Maybe you can tell me how to do it so that it works.

Maybe open it in an editor and save it as a lower quality jpeg?

Newmanium
10-05-2010, 06:13 PM
You can use many computer programs to resize the pics - most online image sharing programs also do this. If you have an iPhone, you can email them to yourself and have them resized, the phone should give you an option.

And not trying to rain on your 650 - whatever makes you happy is great, just saying they don't necessarily offer universal appeal. I would never diss anybodys wheels in person unless they asked, would be rude.

quackbury
10-05-2010, 07:42 PM
Did Keano see your 650?

Now I understand his photo; I can just hear him saying "That's so sad......"

Financeman
10-05-2010, 08:46 PM
Bling alert........no thank you!! To each their own.

B-1 Pilot
10-05-2010, 09:35 PM
Man, I love to read more about the 550iX instead of a argument/trolling session on the value of idiotic aftermarket farkles...:rolleyes:

that being said... Rich go to imageshack.com, tinypic.com, etc (just type image hosting in the google). Upload your full rez pic, tell it you want the output to be -- use like 15 or 17inch monitor rez (1280 or 1024 wide).. then copy the html code for Forums and paste it right into your response... voila pictures appear in forums.

pharding
10-06-2010, 03:25 AM

Sorry, but that looks hideous.

richschneid
10-06-2010, 03:56 AM
Sorry, but that looks hideous.

I guess it just doesn't appeal to middle class white guys who don't have MDs. Doctors have notoriously bad taste. But my wife, who is not a middle class white guy or a doctor, really likes them too. She's a middle class WASP from middle America and her opinion counts a lot more than your guys' opinions. I also got a lot of thumbs up from white guys in pick up trucks. And all my friends who are Bro's also loved them. I have always had a lot of Bro's for friends, we have a lot in common.

Moral of the story: This is America and we have free speech. BTW, I thought the car looked really boring with the stock wheels. :thumbup:

richschneid
10-06-2010, 03:57 AM
Man, I love to read more about the 550iX instead of a argument/trolling session on the value of idiotic aftermarket farkles...:rolleyes:

that being said... Rich go to imageshack.com, tinypic.com, etc (just type image hosting in the google). Upload your full rez pic, tell it you want the output to be -- use like 15 or 17inch monitor rez (1280 or 1024 wide).. then copy the html code for Forums and paste it right into your response... voila pictures appear in forums.

Thanks B-1. I'll give it a try.

SteVTEC
10-06-2010, 05:06 AM
I guess it just doesn't appeal to middle class white guys who don't have MDs. Doctors have notoriously bad taste. But my wife, who is not a middle class white guy or a doctor, really likes them too. She's a middle class WASP from middle America and her opinion counts a lot more than your guys' opinions. I also got a lot of thumbs up from white guys in pick up trucks. And all my friends who are Bro's also loved them. I have always had a lot of Bro's for friends, we have a lot in common.

Moral of the story: This is America and we have free speech. BTW, I thought the car looked really boring with the stock wheels. :thumbup:I almost never like chrome wheels, but I do happen to think they look nice on that particular 650 in that particular color, FWIW. :) Not sure if I would have liked them without chrome better though.

Need pics of the 550 now. Come on, you can't tell me you can't figure out how to resize them. Just put them up on picasa or flickr or any of the free photo sites out there. ;)

Emilner
10-06-2010, 07:10 AM
Chrome is a no go on a luxury car. 90's honda crowd seems to have sucked up all of the available supply. You said it best, they look 'gangsta, Lindsey Lohan" etc.- right there is equates them with those who may be able to buy a BMW/MB/etc but don't deserve one. Those pics really cemented that idea, especially the autotrader one.

Back on topic, nice write up- My car is waiting transport, I'm getting anxious, but at least my daily driver is livable :D

richschneid
10-06-2010, 09:40 AM
I almost never like chrome wheels, but I do happen to think they look nice on that particular 650 in that particular color, FWIW. :) Not sure if I would have liked them without chrome better though.

Need pics of the 550 now. Come on, you can't tell me you can't figure out how to resize them. Just put them up on picasa or flickr or any of the free photo sites out there. ;)

That's pretty much how I view it. On this particular car in this particular color I think they look great. I really liked these wheels without the chrome but they are a little boring. I think these wheels make the car the best looking 6 series I have ever seen. A friend of mine, also a doctor, has a beautiful white M6 convertible and he loves the wheels on my car. Maybe you need to see them live to really appreciate how great they look. You really need to see them side by side with a car with the non chromed version to see the difference.

I was busy today. It's raining too. I will try to take some pics of my 550i later and see if I can get them uploaded.

richschneid
10-06-2010, 09:44 AM
Chrome is a no go on a luxury car. 90's honda crowd seems to have sucked up all of the available supply. You said it best, they look 'gangsta, Lindsey Lohan" etc.- right there is equates them with those who may be able to buy a BMW/MB/etc but don't deserve one. Those pics really cemented that idea, especially the autotrader one.

Back on topic, nice write up- My car is waiting transport, I'm getting anxious, but at least my daily driver is livable :D

My 650i is not a luxury car. It is a highly desirable very sexy high performance sports coupe. My 550i is a luxury car, and I agree that it should not have chromed wheels. A 6 is a very different type car than a 5 or a 7. I would never have put chromed wheels on my past two 5 series or my past 7 series.

CarBrain
10-06-2010, 09:59 AM
Doctors have notoriously bad taste.

Hey...what are you trying to say. I find that a little offensive. ;)

richschneid
10-06-2010, 10:22 AM
Hey...what are you trying to say. I find that a little offensive. ;)

I am a doctor. That was intended to be self deprecating humor.

richschneid
10-06-2010, 10:24 AM
Thanks B-1. I'll give it a try.

http://imageshack.us/content.php?page=features

Let's see if this works. Couldn't find how to post the picture directly.

Didn't work. I have uploaded a picture to image works. Now what do I do?

http://img716.imageshack.us/img716/5104/bmw550i001.jpg
By richschneid (http://profile.imageshack.us/user/richschneid) at 2010-10-06

richschneid
10-06-2010, 10:34 AM
Okay. Now how to I make the image smaller?

rigel12
10-06-2010, 11:54 AM
Hard to believe that baby is now in your garage!! After waiting since February to place an order in July, how does it feel to actually have the first reported F-10 x-Drive in the 'flesh'? I pick up mine a week from Saturday, but in the meantime, please keep reporting your experiences. Can you confirm you have the com-box controller as a September build??

richschneid
10-06-2010, 01:04 PM
Hard to believe that baby is now in your garage!! After waiting since February to place an order in July, how does it feel to actually have the first reported F-10 x-Drive in the 'flesh'? I pick up mine a week from Saturday, but in the meantime, please keep reporting your experiences. Can you confirm you have the com-box controller as a September build??

Yes, I have the combox.

richschneid
10-06-2010, 01:10 PM
One last thing on the 650i wheels. The owner of my dealership is the one I deal with directly. He also drives an M6 convertible, the Nieman Marcus edition. He is the one who suggested the chromed wheels for my 650i originally and loves them on my car, just like my doctor friend who drives an M6 convertible. So maybe you have to own a 6 series to appreciate chromed wheels on a 6 series. Driving a 5 or a 7 just doesn't do it. :rofl:

richschneid
10-06-2010, 01:18 PM
Found the "resizing" button.

http://img822.imageshack.us/img822/6137/bmw550i004.jpg

http://img716.imageshack.us/img716/5104/bmw550i001.jpg

Newmanium
10-06-2010, 01:25 PM
One last thing on the 650i wheels. The owner of my dealership is the one I deal with directly. He also drives an M6 convertible, the Nieman Marcus edition. He is the one who suggested the chromed wheels for my 650i originally and loves them on my car, just like my doctor friend who drives an M6 convertible. So maybe you have to own a 6 series to appreciate chromed wheels on a 6 series. Driving a 5 or a 7 just doesn't do it. :rofl:

LOL, you're not helping your case Rich. Buying a Neiman Marcus edition car is the quickest way to extinguish all enthusiast credibility *forever*.

richschneid
10-06-2010, 01:26 PM
Last try.

http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/5104/bmw550i001.jpg

mautzi
10-06-2010, 01:30 PM
Nice! Can you get us a pic of the anthracite headliner? my 550i xdrive should be pulling into the dock in NJ in about an hour or so.

CarBrain
10-06-2010, 01:34 PM
I am a doctor. That was intended to be self deprecating humor.

I am also a physician and I was just joking with you and was not offended at all (thus the winking smilie face).

At least you are lucky enough to have received your 550i. I am still waiting for mine.

Great looking car by the way. Too bad my wife does not like dark color car or else I would have chosen black or your color.

richschneid
10-06-2010, 01:41 PM
LOL, you're not helping your case Rich. Buying a Neiman Marcus edition car is the quickest way to extinguish all enthusiast credibility *forever*.

Well he owns a BMW dealership so I guess you would have to debate that with him. He probably has more credibility on who is and is not an "enthusiast". But we are talking about esthestics here, not driving enthusiasm.

No offense, but he's driving an M6 convertible not an X5 diesel. So maybe he's the one who qualifies. Besides I have never owned a 6 cylinder BMW, or a four for that matter, only five V-8s, so maybe that gives me the right to decide what is and is not a proper type of wheel for a given "enthusiast's" BMW without having to suffer insults.

I think it looks great.

http://img838.imageshack.us/img838/8185/bmw650i002.jpg

Also, have you actually ever seen a Nieman Marcus M6 convertible up close and in real life. What about it do you find so "unethusiastic"? Looks great to me. He could just as easily be driving a 760Li. Would that make him more of an "enthusiast"? After all isn't twelve cylinders more "enthusiastic" than 10? :rofl:

richschneid
10-06-2010, 01:46 PM
Nice! Can you get us a pic of the anthracite headliner? my 550i xdrive should be pulling into the dock in NJ in about an hour or so.

Here it is again:

http://img822.imageshack.us/img822/6137/bmw550i004.jpg

I think it's gorgeous with the full beige interior. :)

rigel12
10-06-2010, 02:08 PM
Oh BOY does that interior color combination look SWEET. Great picture of the anthracite headliner. :roundel:

solstice
10-06-2010, 05:08 PM
Very nice looking ride rich. Now, if you want to continue the transformation you started from pimp-daddy to a bit more sophistication and want something that shows off the capabilities of the hi-fi in the F10 I can recommend that you load up your Ipod with Sarah Brightman's album Eden. Though your circle of chrome loving friends might find that you've become a pretentious p**ck and those white guys in pickup trucks might stop and beat you up instead of honking in approval...so keep the sun-roof closed, it improves the acoustics anyway :)

DXK
10-06-2010, 05:35 PM
The real contrast would be if he was listing to Sarah Brightman while driving his old car with those wheels; that would confuse the hell out of everyone!

Hey Rich, great car!

Munich77
10-06-2010, 05:39 PM
Rich - thanks for sharing those pictures. The car looks awesome :). Congratulations.

B-1 Pilot
10-06-2010, 06:09 PM
The real contrast would be if he was listing to Sarah Brightman while driving his old car with those wheels; that would confuse the hell out of everyone!

I dunno maybe in the 650 he could have been rocking this Sarah Brightman:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceXAZomoJ80

B-1

DXK
10-06-2010, 06:16 PM
:rofl::rofl:
That was before she met Andrew Lloyd Webber!

solstice
10-06-2010, 06:22 PM
I dunno maybe in the 650 he could have been rocking this Sarah Brightman:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceXAZomoJ80

B-1

Nice find! Seems like she' been on a similar journey as rich's wheels.

kirbyj
10-06-2010, 08:24 PM
Rich that is one great looking car!! I have two sons living in the Pittsburgh area so I know you need to watch out for the potholes and road construction so you can keep your wheels in good shape. It is a great city! My sons certainly like it. They went to school there and never left.

I always enjoy reading your posts because you sure know how to stir the kettle and push all the buttons.

quackbury
10-06-2010, 08:34 PM
Somehow I doubt Sarah is still bragging about that video the way Richie is about his rims......

quackbury
10-06-2010, 08:41 PM
Last try.

http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/5104/bmw550i001.jpg

Not taking a swipe at Rich now, but making an observation:

Is anyone else surprised at the gap between the fender and the wheel, especially at the front of the car? Back in the E39 days, we would have said, "Needs Lowered." Almost like the ride height is raised for US bumper requirements, or the dealer forgot to remove the spacers when they prepped the car.

I think it's a very classy looking combination, but I really am surprised by the fender gap.

quackbury
10-06-2010, 09:01 PM
Not quite as big a gap as this, but... you get the idea.

EDIT: I recommend you do NOT click "Play" as the lyrics are extremely offensive. Maybe not to Rich and his "Bro's", but certainly to middle aged white guys like me. If anyone knows how to turn off the sound on this clip, or better yet, attach a still image from it, let me know.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwFS84oFnA8

ChrisTO
10-06-2010, 09:08 PM
^^ i knew something was missing with the 650 sporting the chrome rims...whitewalls!!!!

solstice
10-06-2010, 09:10 PM

Is anyone else surprised at the gap between the fender and the wheel, especially at the front of the car? Back in the E39 days, we would have said, "Needs Lowered." Almost like the ride height is raised for US bumper requirements, or the dealer forgot to remove the spacers when they prepped the car.

I think it's a very classy looking combination, but I really am surprised by the fender gap.

Unfortunately that's how they all look, mine included. I think it's neccessary to accomodate the soft springs and long suspension travel for the added "comfort". Probably not much that can be done without stiffer lower after market springs. I'll live with it unless bmw comes up with a package with full warranty and SW well tested and tuned to the new springs.

quackbury
10-06-2010, 09:28 PM
Maybe they'll come out with a Nieman Marcus Edition riding on 21's to fill up those wheel wells?

solstice
10-06-2010, 09:34 PM
Maybe they'll come out with a Nieman Marcus Edition riding on 21's to fill up those wheel wells?

:yikes: Gawd, what is that thing!!!

NH JG
10-06-2010, 11:32 PM

Looks awesome. Congrats Rich!
I believe the gap maybe due to the x drive as I test drove a non x version and my dealer said mine would actually be higher off the ground. Either way, I cant wait to move from my Range Rover Sport to the 550xi at months end and enjoy New Hampshire roads with 400 hp year round. :cool:

richschneid
10-07-2010, 05:22 AM
^^ i knew something was missing with the 650 sporting the chrome rims...whitewalls!!!!

I thought the "red line" Tiger Paws from my 1967 Olds 442 convertible would be better than whites. What do you think? :rofl:

B-1 Pilot
10-07-2010, 06:49 AM
Not quite as big a gap as this, but... you get the idea.

EDIT: I recommend you do NOT click "Play" as the lyrics are extremely offensive. Maybe not to Rich and his "Bro's", but certainly to middle aged white guys like me. If anyone knows how to turn off the sound on this clip, or better yet, attach a still image from it, let me know.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwFS84oFnA8

Hmm... nothing wrong with a little Dr. Dre.

But seriously, you guys have hit upon one of the only aesthetic issues I have with the new 5... the wheel wells just dont seem right. I seem to recall that on the original pre-production world configurator there were a few larger size wheel option's... if these 19"s don't appear big enough, what other options short of aftermarket rims are there. I am curious as to other actual F-10 owners opinions on this as they get to see the wheels in the wheel well every day

B-1

richschneid
10-07-2010, 08:14 AM
Hmm... nothing wrong with a little Dr. Dre.

But seriously, you guys have hit upon one of the only aesthetic issues I have with the new 5... the wheel wells just dont seem right. I seem to recall that on the original pre-production world configurator there were a few larger size wheel option's... if these 19"s don't appear big enough, what other options short of aftermarket rims are there. I am curious as to other actual F-10 owners opinions on this as they get to see the wheels in the wheel well every day

B-1

BMW does sell 20" wheels as an option. They cost over $5000. But I think these would be sold with lower profile tires so that the full wheel diameter is unchanged and the wheel well gap would be no different. I think Solstice got it correct that the larger gap is a necessity because of the greater suspension travel on the new front suspension, 5 link, on the F10. Also, on the xDrive version the ground clearance may be set a little higher, but I'm not sure.

bikerboy
10-07-2010, 03:24 PM
Would 20 inch wheels change the dynamics of the car? I'm sure they can be had for well under $5,000. I have a friend who owns a "speed shop" and has some great looking forged wheels for far less than BMW's price. If the 20's will make that gap look a little more filled in, I may go for them. I'm not running the run flats anyway in Spring/Summer. I'm leaving the run flats and stock sport wheels for Winter and putting a 2 piece or 3 piece forged wheel with Hankooks on for the more serious driving.

solstice
10-07-2010, 03:34 PM
Would 20 inch wheels change the dynamics of the car? I'm sure they can be had for well under $5,000. I have a friend who owns a "speed shop" and has some great looking forged wheels for far less than BMW's price. If the 20's will make that gap look a little more filled in, I may go for them. I'm not running the run flats anyway in Spring/Summer. I'm leaving the run flats and stock sport wheels for Winter and putting a 2 piece or 3 piece forged wheel with Hankooks on for the more serious driving.

My guess is that the gap is there for a reason. I don't think bmw would put 35 profiles on the 19' if they could getaway with 40 since they are likely cheaper and provide an even smoother ride. So by "filling" out the gap not only do you change things like mileage and speedometer readings you might also risk carving up the wheels/tires with bodywork...

markl53
10-07-2010, 04:40 PM
Not sure my 535i wheel openings with standard 18" have as much space. Maybe it was the angle of his shot, although from above that may have actually minimized the look of space.

solstice
10-07-2010, 04:51 PM
Not sure my 535i wheel openings with standard 18" have as much space. Maybe it was the angle of his shot, although from above that may have actually minimized the look of space.

It's just as "bad" but your car is black like mine so in your pix the transition from the dark wells to the fenders is less visible and hides the gap somewhat. I think rich probably used flash in his garage which makes it look even worse. At least that's how I see it.

B-1 Pilot
10-07-2010, 05:02 PM

Yeah maybe its just color and lighting because your car in these pictures looks fantastic.... I really think the F10 looks great in dark & neutral colors (blacks, and dark greys).

I also really think that the black sapphire looks nice with the standard trim too... It frustrates me that the M-sport package eliminates this color / trim combo

gregb10
10-07-2010, 05:19 PM
How is the steering on the XI. Does is have the numbness of the electric steering on the non xi

solstice
10-07-2010, 05:30 PM
How is the steering on the XI. Does is have the numbness of the electric steering on the non xi

Wrong guy to ask, rich loves the non Xi steering especailly with the added numbness of IAS.

richschneid
10-07-2010, 06:38 PM
Wrong guy to ask, rich loves the non Xi steering especailly with the added numbness of IAS.

The xDrive is not available with IAS. The xDrive has hydralic steering, not the electric steering on the RWD. I thought you like hydralic steering. I do wish my steering had a separate iDrive adjustability for amount of assist. But I'm still experimenting with all the different driver adjustable setting in sport and sport plus.

markl53
10-07-2010, 07:15 PM

If you all want to feel true numbness, go borrow a Dodge Charger. I had one as a loaner and I swear, it was 1960 all over again (well I didn't really drive until 1969 :)). That thing has steering that is TOTALLY disconnected from reality. You turn the wheel and it feels like the car isn't even on a road surface. I think people are confusing numbness with "ease of turning" on the F10 at low speeds. During normal highway driving I really don't think my 535i steering feels much different than my 335i did. It tightens up at about 40+ and there is no on-center strangeness that I had read about. I do not have DHP or sport.

pharding
10-07-2010, 07:40 PM
Yes, I have the combox.
Can you tell us more about the Combox and how you like the features that it adds.

jimefam
10-07-2010, 08:14 PM
My guess is that the gap is there for a reason. I don't think bmw would put 35 profiles on the 19' if they could getaway with 40 since they are likely cheaper and provide an even smoother ride. So by "filling" out the gap not only do you change things like mileage and speedometer readings you might also risk carving up the wheels/tires with bodywork...

I prefer larger rims on the f10 here are some good pictures of some 20" and 21" rims on the f10. By the way changing the rims should not affect your speedometer or mileage.

http://1013mm.com/blog/2010/06/kevins-2011-bmw-535i/

http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=437253

jimefam
10-07-2010, 08:18 PM

Yes putting 20" rims on there will make the ride alittle harsher but since your ditching the rft it'll probably be a wash. Also if you put some lighter forged rims and hankooks you get more responsive steering and better handling.

solstice
10-07-2010, 08:34 PM
rich, what I meant is that since you see no problem just awsomeness with the electric steering you are not really a good candidate to give a review of the virtues or lack thereof with the hydraulic steering. It will not provide much value for us that feels that the electric steering is lacking in feedback of grip level and has a vague center feel.

markl53 the "ease of turn" is more what I would describe as vague center feel. The numbness is lack of feedback, especially concerning grip level.

solstice
10-07-2010, 08:47 PM
jimefam, I'm not sure about the alghoritms for speed and mileage on the F10 but if you increase the diameter of the rim + tire it can impact mileage and speedometer. I did say "fill out" the wells. If you just put larger rims without adding to the diameter it's not an issue but then you would not fill out any more well.

richschneid
10-08-2010, 03:39 AM
Can you tell us more about the Combox and how you like the features that it adds.

I don't know too much about the combox but I do know that it is compatable with all cell phones and not just certain ones. I think it also allows better internet connections with smart phones but I'm not sure.

richschneid
10-08-2010, 03:43 AM
I prefer larger rims on the f10 here are some good pictures of some 20" and 21" rims on the f10. By the way changing the rims should not affect your speedometer or mileage.

http://1013mm.com/blog/2010/06/kevins-2011-bmw-535i/

http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=437253

There was an interesting comparison test of different sized tires and wheels in C&D a few months ago. They did it on a Volkswagon and compared all sizes from 16" to 20". The handling was optimized with 19" and fell off with 20". So, I think increasing wheel diameter above 19" might adversely affect the handling on an F10.

richschneid
10-08-2010, 03:49 AM
[QUOTE=solstice;5528351]rich, what I meant is that since you see no problem just awsomeness with the electric steering you are not really a good candidate to give a review of the virtues or lack thereof with the hydraulic steering. It will not provide much value for us that feels that the electric steering is lacking in feedback of grip level and has a vague center feel.

That's exactly what I said. I really can't comment on the electric steering. I can say the hydralic steering is a little too light for me around town, but I think this is adjustable by using the sport mode. The normal mode on my 650i was also too light for me, that's why I always drove it in sport mode, except in parking lots, which was just fine. Do you know if the IAS is more adjustable than the standard steering on the non xDrive F10s? But when I test drove the rear drive with electric steering hard and fast it tightened up nicely and I thought it was fine and the feedback was adequate and didn't slow me down at all.

One thing that I also agree with you about is the feel of the sport steering wheel. I liked the wheel on the 650i better. I agree the wheel on the F10 is a little less grippy.