PDA

View Full Version : Shadowline trim

bimluva
10-04-2010, 01:34 PM
Is there any way of keeping the chrome window sill and selecting the sports package? I thought I saw some pics that way but it may have been abroad. My wife really likes the chrome look, not that I don't, but I really want the sports package ( rims, seats, thicker steering wheel).

solstice
10-04-2010, 01:44 PM
For your sake, I hope not. The shadowline is so much nicer.

nosnoop
10-04-2010, 02:50 PM
For your sake, I hope not. The shadowline is so much nicer.

I know I am in the minority in this forum, as most seem to be after the "black out" look.

Personally, I like the chrome around the window, as it accentuates the graceful roof line, and the unmistakable Hofmeister kink. Similarly, I much prefer the stock chrome kidney grill than those black out ones.

It's a personal preference I suppose. Back to the OP, if you don't want it, you can ask about the possibility of special order for item deletion. I'd probably leave it as shadowline if it costs me money to remove it.

https://mediapool.bmwgroup.com/mediapool/econtroller/pressclub/publicq?actEvent=zoom&dokNo=P90055133

Ronsell
10-04-2010, 05:13 PM
I know I am in the minority in this forum, as most seem to be after the "black out" look.

Personally, I like the chrome around the window, as it accentuates the graceful roof line, and the unmistakable Hofmeister kink. Similarly, I much prefer the stock chrome kidney grill than those black out ones.

It's a personal preference I suppose. Back to the OP, if you don't want it, you can ask about the possibility of special order for item deletion. I'd probably leave it as shadowline if it costs me money to remove it.

https://mediapool.bmwgroup.com/mediapool/econtroller/pressclub/publicq?actEvent=zoom&dokNo=P90055133

I'm with you on the chrome trim. I love the Hofmeister kink (my neighbor thought
I was talking about a new sexual position). :D

Bada Bing
10-04-2010, 05:24 PM
I'm with the OP on this feature. I like the shiny black on the B-pillar but prefer to keep the chrome window trim (and chrome grille surround for that matter). The black window trim reminds me of the low-end 3-series (E46/E90) 325i/328i which lacked this feature, while the 330i/335i came with chrome trim around the windows. A more recent example is the base model Audi A4 (Premium trim) which comes with black window trim, while the higher end Premium Plus and Prestige models not to mention S4) get the chrome trim.

nlk10010
10-04-2010, 05:57 PM
Is there any way of keeping the chrome window sill and selecting the sports package? I thought I saw some pics that way but it may have been abroad. My wife really likes the chrome look, not that I don't, but I really want the sports package ( rims, seats, thicker steering wheel).

Hey, if that's what wifey wants, go with it.

What's funny is that MY wife is exactly the opposite; she detests chrome window surrounds. That in effect cuts out MB, Lexus, Cadillac, Jaguar, Audi, Infiniti and basically any make other than BMW (although Porsche MIGHT give a shadowline option).

There is a chance you can delete the shadowline; a competent dealer should be able to tell you right away. Good Luck!

quackbury
10-04-2010, 06:24 PM
I think it depends on the color. TiAg or Space Gray look stunning with the Shadowline. OTOH I think Monaco Blue and Imperial Blue look better with a bit of chrome. I tried to get my Deep Sea Blue X5 35D built with chrome trim and the Sport Package, but was told "no dice".

markl53
10-04-2010, 08:31 PM
Hey, if that's what wifey wants, go with it.

What's funny is that MY wife is exactly the opposite; she detests chrome window surrounds. That in effect cuts out MB, Lexus, Cadillac, Jaguar, Audi, Infiniti and basically any make other than BMW (although Porsche MIGHT give a shadowline option).

I can understand having a preference, but your wife would totally nix any car with chrome around the windows? Wow!

laser
10-05-2010, 06:44 AM
I love the shadowline trim on my wifes black 328i and have ordered it on a new 535i.

Interestingly, the chrome trim on our first BMW, a 2002 330i, and on my 2001 740il was the first part of each car to show age. As it became spotted and mottled it looked a bit shabby even as the paint stayed glossy for many years. Never found a product that worked (tried many) to keep it looking new!

nlk10010
10-05-2010, 07:18 AM
I can understand having a preference, but your wife would totally nix any car with chrome around the windows? Wow!

Well, to be fair, I was engaging in a "bit" of hyperbole.

Actually, my wife is a doll and she lets me get whatever car I want but expresses a strong preference for color (green), no chrome and telematics. If we "have to have chrome" (as she puts it) then she more-or-less insists on a "chrome-compatible" color; i.e. one that blends in with chrome. But really, we couldn't get our new 550 in green because I wanted M-sport so she was happy with carbon black.

However, her obsession with "no contrast, no contrast ever" is amusing (and somewhat endearing, actually). :)

DreamCar
10-05-2010, 07:26 AM
Even I have similar preferences sports package with chrome shadow line and 535 with 550 mufflers.
When I approached the CR he said any thing is possible but it will cost you a lot.

So I changed my mind to get 550 but I couldn't find any way to get chrome shadow line with sports package.

markl53
10-05-2010, 08:23 AM
Well, to be fair, I was engaging in a "bit" of hyperbole.

Actually, my wife is a doll and she lets me get whatever car I want but expresses a strong preference for color (green), no chrome and telematics. If we "have to have chrome" (as she puts it) then she more-or-less insists on a "chrome-compatible" color; i.e. one that blends in with chrome. But really, we couldn't get our new 550 in green because I wanted M-sport so she was happy with carbon black.

However, her obsession with "no contrast, no contrast ever" is amusing (and somewhat endearing, actually). :)

Well, I think you should be glad you couldn't get green, that's the last color I would choose, but that's me. I'm actually a color-oriented person (into photography) and I end up choosing some of our "shared" colors (rooms in house, etc). So you got black inside Carbon Black? Did she want you to delete the standard premium package to avoid the chrome strip on the door handles (joking). If you notice though, a little chrome is tending to be coming back on cars these days. Carbon Black is great, your 550 will be nice.

nlk10010
10-05-2010, 08:28 AM
Well, I think you should be glad you couldn't get green, that's the last color I would choose, but that's me. I'm actually a color-oriented person (into photography) and I end up choosing some of our "shared" colors (rooms in house, etc). So you got black inside Carbon Black? Did she want you to delete the standard premium package to avoid the chrome strip on the door handles (joking). If you notice though, a little chrome is tending to be coming back on cars these days. Carbon Black is great, your 550 will be nice.

Actually, I love green as well and would prefer it. It used to be a very popular color, then became anathema to the buying public, I think it's making a small comeback now, however.

We also both MUCH prefer black inside, which I thoroughly agree with (in my experience light colored upholstery gets very dirty, very quickly) and green over black reminds her of the British sports cars she saw as a child (her mother is British). I really do like the Carbon Black/Black, although there are a lot of "black-like" cars.

All in all, this should be the worst problem I ever have. :)

rudegar
10-05-2010, 04:30 PM
I think maybe the only way is to take the car to a reputable BMW body shop after delivery and have them change it out. I see large $ signs

Mr. Magic
10-05-2010, 06:45 PM
I was also wanting the chrome trim too for similar reasons, liked it on my E46... that is until my F10 with shadowline trim showed up and OMG, gorgeous! It took under a half-second to grow on me. It doesn't look cheap and doesn't look like the "black-out grill" look. It's quite sharp and gives a sophisticated look, yet not a plastic look - it looks like part of the bodywork, reflecting a nice dark line.

bimluva
10-08-2010, 01:20 PM
I thought I saw a Priority 1 option for the chrome. Was that only for Europe?

kymedic25
06-10-2011, 11:05 PM

I have both the sport package and chrome trim.......although I am planning on blacking out my chrome!! :thumbup:

mlai
06-11-2011, 01:49 AM
There is an option called Aluminium Satinated trim that you can order, which should do what you want......

Saberwalk
06-11-2011, 04:36 AM

I am with you on this. Don't understand BMW's obsession with Shadowline for sport. Will get an M-sport when my lease is up, but I am going to miss the Space Grey with chrome I currently have. Very classic and non-modded looking. If there is a way to get it with M-Sport by then, I will.

pyramid
06-11-2011, 05:13 AM
I am with you on this. Don't understand BMW's obsession with Shadowline for sport. Will get an M-sport when my lease is up, but I am going to miss the Space Grey with chrome I currently have. Very classic and non-modded looking. If there is a way to get it with M-Sport by then, I will.

To make more money :) but both colors are nice, just depend on how we see them. On the lower badge 3 series and C class, they are all black by default, matt black. Gloss black mostly on Japanesse car and of course the famous bmw shadowline. It really are either a matter of personal preferences or just trying to justify our purchase.

Ronsell
06-11-2011, 06:04 AM
i know i am in the minority in this forum, as most seem to be after the "black out" look.

Personally, i like the chrome around the window, as it accentuates the graceful roof line, and the unmistakable hofmeister kink. Similarly, i much prefer the stock chrome kidney grill than those black out ones.

It's a personal preference i suppose. Back to the op, if you don't want it, you can ask about the possibility of special order for item deletion. I'd probably leave it as shadowline if it costs me money to remove it.

https://mediapool.bmwgroup.com/mediapool/econtroller/pressclub/publicq?actevent=zoom&dokno=p90055133

+1

Saberwalk
06-11-2011, 10:18 AM
To make more money :) but both colors are nice, just depend on how we see them.

:thumbup:

Stealth.Pilot
06-11-2011, 02:25 PM
There is an option called Aluminium Satinated trim that you can order, which should do what you want......

Interesting. How do you order this? I don't see it as a factory option.

Needsdecaf
06-11-2011, 07:59 PM

Not in US.

mlai
06-11-2011, 08:16 PM
Interesting. How do you order this? I don't see it as a factory option.

On page 50 of the catalog. BMW individual exterior Line Aluminium satinated. Code 3MB.

Gran Turismo
06-12-2011, 01:49 AM
I thought I saw a Priority 1 option for the chrome. Was that only for Europe?
What does Priority 1 mean?

At any rate, in Europe the chrome exterior trim is the standard option on the F10. Shadowline and satinated are both an approx. 750 US$ option (using current exchange rate).
Shadowline is included in the M Sport package. Once the latter is selected in the German online configurator, deselecting the checked shadowline trim again (on the individual options page) deletes the entire M Sport package again too...

I've seen the satinated exterior trim in person - you don't really see a difference to the chrome version from a distance. IMHO it's only worth the extra money if its surface finish matches the wheels. Otherwise you're just additionally cluttering the car's look with yet another material finish.

There's nothing wrong at all with chrome finish and a dark car color, if a rather elegant than sporty appearance is intended. Then it fits nicely with all other chromed parts like front grilles, exhaust tips, door handles (comfort access only), side indicator area, etc.

K-A
06-12-2011, 07:10 AM
Interesting topic to me. I am a fan of subtle and classy use of chrome, therefore I almost always prefer a chrome window trim on a car that I would personally want. However, on BMW's I've never loved the chrome window trim as much as the shadowline. Something about BMW's greenhouse, the Sport Package, and the shadowline that really comes together nicely. On a Mercedes, for example, chrome fits the appearance better.

FG
06-12-2011, 07:36 AM
The chrome around the windows works well with the rest of the grill and door handle chrome package. Agree with others that have commented that the chrome looks richer and more high end.