PDA

View Full Version : Consumer Reports 535i review

jwrtiger
10-04-2010, 02:00 PM
Just an FYI, I got my Consumer Reports magazine (Nov. 2010) yesterday and they reviewed the BMW 535i along with several other luxury cars. They didnít recommend it because they have no reliability data yet. Liked the power train, ride, acceleration, front-seat comfort, fuel economy, and fit and finish. Didnít like the handling (steering) and some controls.

markl53
10-04-2010, 07:20 PM
CR is no car expert, IMO. I'm getting tired of every media bashing the 5. It's worlds ahead of about every other car in its class. The steering is just not what they're saying -- it's like a bandwagon now, everyone wants part of it.

SRB7787
10-04-2010, 07:31 PM
CR is no car expert, IMO. I'm getting tired of every media bashing the 5. It's worlds ahead of about every other car in its class. The steering is just not what they're saying -- it's like a bandwagon now, everyone wants part of it.
+1....amen Mark

SteVTEC
10-05-2010, 04:17 AM
CR hasn't said anything different than any other auto rag has. The car is what it is. If you like it right now that's great. All they're saying is that it's quite a bit different from its predecessors in its driving manners and that previous 5-series owners might be in for a surprise and possibly a disappointment. I haven't owned a 5-series before. All I know is that my wife and I both test drove and we both liked the car. Steering feel didn't bother me, but that's really only going to make a difference when you're driving at 8/10ths or more. I can't remember the last time I ever drove a car that way. Too much traffic around here, too few roads, too many cops, too many speed and red light cameras. Bottom line is that if you don't like it, don't buy it. If you do like it, who cares what anybody else says. The fact that all of the magazines are bashing it is actually an encouraging sign for me, because I usually like the exact opposite of whatever 'the authority' says I should be liking. ;)

George Allan
10-05-2010, 04:32 AM
Havn't read CR for many yrs . There is a reason for that and I don't know how to explain that properly .

George Allan

pharding
10-05-2010, 05:08 AM
BMW has placed more emphasis with the F10 on luxury and less on sport. My F10 550 is a fine car, however in my opinion BMW blundered big time with this approach. The suspension and steering are set up to be all things to all people. You can do everything but nothing well. The Comfort Setting on my F10 makes the F10 ride like a gigantic 1960's Chevy Impala as it wallows down the road. This setting yields the worst ride possible. It is much worse than MB, Lexus, and Audi in their non-sport models. It is mindless to force someone like myself coming from a 550 M-Sport to have a Comfort Setting on my car.

markl53
10-05-2010, 07:30 AM
BMW has placed more emphasis with the F10 on luxury and less on sport. My F10 550 is a fine car, however in my opinion BMW blundered big time with this approach. The suspension and steering are set up to be all things to all people. You can do everything but nothing well. The Comfort Setting on my F10 makes the F10 ride like a gigantic 1960's Chevy Impala as it wallows down the road. This setting yields the worst ride possible. It is much worse than MB, Lexus, and Audi in their non-sport models. It is mindless to force someone like myself coming from a 550 M-Sport to have a Comfort Setting on my car.

So why in G-d's name would you select Comfort then? Just having the ability disturbs you? Just pretend it isn't there. Someone else might like it??? I find the suspension on my non-sport 535i to be very similar to my previous 335i non-sport, even though it's a significantly larger car. Even though the 535i is much quieter and smoother than my 3 was it doesn't wallow at all. In fact, the steering is a bit lighter in feel at lower speeds, but on-center feel is as good or better than the 335i, IMO.

pharding
10-05-2010, 09:46 AM
In order to include the Comfort setting BMW compromised Sport and Sport+. Multi-purpose anything means that you can do everything, but nothing very well. That is the case with DHP on the F10. My biggest complaint is the shift to the Ultimate Compromise. Clearly with the F10 there are missed opportunities in terms of Sport and Performance as BMW tried to make the F10 to be all things to all people. If I wanted a Lexus I would have bought a Lexus or I would get the F10 without the Sport Options and Sport Packages..

x5 '08
10-05-2010, 09:57 AM
In order to include the Comfort setting BMW compromised Sport and Sport+. Multi-purpose anything means that you can do everything, but nothing very well. That is the case with DHP on the F10. My biggest complaint is the shift to the Ultimate Compromise. Clearly with the F10 there are missed opportunities in terms of Sport and Performance as BMW tried to make the F10 to be all things to all people. If I wanted a Lexus I would have bought a Lexus or I would get the F10 without the Sport Options and Sport Packages..

So what setting do you usually keep the car in? I am troubled to hear this as my 535xi 2008 lease is up and am looking for a new car. Thought I was going to go with another one but I really really love the sport feel. I drove a 535 w/o sport and a 550 w sport and neither blew me away (that's all the dealer had). Left me confused about what to do. Crazy but maybe think about an Audi S4 or a Cayenne S. Big price differences but I need to enjoy my 15K+ a year driving time.

carnuts3
10-05-2010, 10:30 AM
So what setting do you usually keep the car in? I am troubled to hear this as my 535xi 2008 lease is up and am looking for a new car. Thought I was going to go with another one but I really really love the sport feel. I drove a 535 w/o sport and a 550 w sport and neither blew me away (that's all the dealer had). Left me confused about what to do. Crazy but maybe think about an Audi S4 or a Cayenne S. Big price differences but I need to enjoy my 15K+ a year driving time.

I empathize.... That's why I ordered an S4, after almost 14 yrs of driving bimmers.

markl53
10-05-2010, 02:14 PM

Sport packages have been options on 3's and 5's for what, decades?