PDA

View Full Version : Free bonus or just sale gimmick?

CarBrain
10-04-2010, 09:41 PM
My sale rep states that my order of the F10 includes free bonuses such as:

1. BMW floor mats
2. Some time of special air/gas in the run flat tires to make the tires last longer
3. Detail works (wax, cleaning, etc...)

Are these 3 things actual free bonuses or does every dealership throw this in to EVERYONE who order the F10?

Edit: The #2 on the list is actually Nitrogen. I remembered now.

NH JG
10-04-2010, 11:11 PM
I'm expecting the mats (as dealer said they are included) as well as the detail but never heard anything about the special air.

nosnoop
10-05-2010, 12:39 AM
1. BMW floor mats
2. Some time of special air/gas in the run flat tires to make the tires last longer

I think most dealers would include the floor mat. I also got an additional set of winter rubber mats for free too.

For the tires, I think they are talking about Nitrogen gas for tire inflation. There are pros and cons for this; you can google "nitrogen tires".

Munich77
10-05-2010, 05:29 AM
The third one I would consider a downside. I don't trust the dealer hacks detailing my car. Most of them will just cause more swirls than anything.

voken
10-05-2010, 05:57 AM
I was not offered any of these three :( I have my order in production now...when I pick my car will it be OK if I ask for at least the floor mats or since I already made the deal (even that is a lousy one when compared to what is posted in the forums) its too late for this as well

goodmanal
10-05-2010, 07:40 AM
I believe that floor mats are standard for US delivered vehicles.

Newmanium
10-05-2010, 08:20 AM
I believe that floor mats are standard for US delivered vehicles.

Floor mats aren't included by default, but most dealers throw them in because of how ridiculous it is to buy them separately on a 60k car. Any dealer bragging about this is suspect (next you'll be telling me the cookies are free!!).

Dealers will typically throw more things in the higher their profit is - so I'd look at these things as a warning sign that you're paying too much, rather than any sort of encouragement. Cost of the nitrogen+detail stuff is probably 50 at most.

tadtaggert
10-05-2010, 08:49 AM

It's nitrogen, BMW is pushing this globally, from what I understand it's up to the dealer if they throw it in or charge for it.

CarBrain
10-05-2010, 09:12 AM
Dealers will typically throw more things in the higher their profit is - so I'd look at these things as a warning sign that you're paying too much, rather than any sort of encouragement. Cost of the nitrogen+detail stuff is probably 50 at most.

For my 550i with a lot of options, I got a deal of $400 above invoice price and at the end I got $73,000 out the door price (includes everything) so I thought I had a decent deal.

With those 3 bonuses, I just thought that it makes the deal a tiny bit sweeter but was not sure if this is a default for all dealership.

Newmanium
10-05-2010, 10:15 AM
For my 550i with a lot of options, I got a deal of $400 above invoice price and at the end I got $73,000 out the door price (includes everything) so I thought I had a decent deal.

With those 3 bonuses, I just thought that it makes the deal a tiny bit sweeter but was not sure if this is a default for all dealership.

That's a great deal, obviously - and those things aren't default (except for floor mats), just depends on dealerships. They're nice, but borderline gimmicky. As I said, value is probably 50 - nitrogen is about 5/tire, a detail kit is probably 20-30 of products.

All nice stuff - fun extras if you've already got a good deal.

jwrtiger
10-05-2010, 11:37 AM
Just want to echo what a couple of the members said and also give you some support. In the printed BMW brochure for the US market it states on page 59 that all three models of the 5-series come with floor mats as standard equipment.

FPNY
10-05-2010, 12:16 PM
i got two bmw baseball caps and two travel cups!!

alex_c
10-05-2010, 01:44 PM
I got free air inside the tires, and they threw in additional air inside the cabin and the trunk. When I opened the trunk I couldn't believe that they had it filled with air! :rofl:

markl53
10-05-2010, 05:06 PM
Floor mats aren't included by default, but most dealers throw them in because of how ridiculous it is to buy them separately on a 60k car.

Check the standard items list in the brochure. Carpet mats are standard on all 5 series.

Sorry, I see now that others already chimed in....

Financeman
10-05-2010, 06:09 PM

You have it figured out...just a tiny bit sweeter. With a nitrogen fill, you will need to return to the dealer to add air from time to time...perhaps I'm a bit cynical...just another reason to get you back to the dealership on a regular basis. Pretty smart from a marketing perspective.

abmwc
10-05-2010, 07:32 PM

So is $400 above invoice what I should be shooting for on a 550i x-drive?

Thanks,
abmwc

CarBrain
10-05-2010, 07:33 PM
You have it figured out...just a tiny bit sweeter. With a nitrogen fill, you will need to return to the dealer to add air from time to time...perhaps I'm a bit cynical...just another reason to get you back to the dealership on a regular basis. Pretty smart from a marketing perspective.

But is the nitro air free to refill (at least for the first 4 year/50,000 miles)?

CarBrain
10-05-2010, 07:35 PM
So is $400 above invoice what I should be shooting for on a 550i x-drive?

Thanks,
abmwc

I am not sure about the 500i x-drive but you could certainly do it for the 550i.

Six months ago I think you can only do it for $1,000-$1,500 above invoice because it was so early.

enigma
10-05-2010, 10:09 PM
My sale rep states that my order of the F10 includes free bonuses such as:

1. BMW floor mats

Are these 3 things actual free bonuses or does every dealership throw this in to EVERYONE who order the F10?

Edit: The #2 on the list is actually Nitrogen. I remembered now.

I can guess which one of the SD dealers told you this, but this is one of the many reasons why I keep avoiding them like the plague that they are. :mad:

1. BMW Floor mats are already FREE on the 5er.

2. Nitrogen air fills have very little benefits, if ANY. BMW Service Centers in SD have been trying to push this stuff for an arm and a leg, but once they realized that people were not falling for it, they are giving this stuff away claiming you are "special".

3. Have you seen a BMW Service Center detail job? Don't do it even if it were free (unless you are an automatic machine wash at the gas station type).

Stealth.Pilot
10-06-2010, 01:47 PM
It's bull****. Everyone gives away free mats. The rest are also standard - find me a luxury car dealership that doesn't use Nitrogen for the tires. Also I can't imagine any dealer not doing a pre-delivery detail, let alone a luxury car dealer. Even Nissan and Toyota dealers give free detail and mats with delivery.

You could always retort - do you think that BMWUSA would really let you get away with not detailing cars before delivery and not providing mats?

Stealth.Pilot
10-06-2010, 01:50 PM
I got free air inside the tires, and they threw in additional air inside the cabin and the trunk. When I opened the trunk I couldn't believe that they had it filled with air! :rofl:

It wasn't just any air - they filled your trunk with 78% nitrogen! Must have cost them a fortune! :rofl:

dalekressin
10-06-2010, 01:59 PM
gimmick

SandNs new 528
10-06-2010, 02:50 PM
It wasn't just any air - they filled your trunk with 78% nitrogen! Must have cost them a fortune! :rofl:

Not just any Nitrogen - comes in a BIG bottle with BMW logo:rolleyes:

CarBrain
10-06-2010, 03:02 PM
If I ever find out that they only give my 78% Nitrogen and mixed it with 21% Oxygen, 0.9% Argon, 0.037% CO2 then I will be pissed. I want 100% Nitrogen because they told me that it would good for my tires....and I always trust my car salesman (oopss, I mean car sale manager).