PDA

View Full Version : Driver Assisstance Package + Side and Top View Cameras Vs. Dynamic Handling Package

CarBrain
10-04-2010, 11:39 PM
I ordered the 550i with Sports Package four days ago and I think I still have time to change the option.

For some reason I still have a dilema after the order.

The order that I have has the Driver Assisstance Package + Side and Top View Cameras but without the Dynamic Handling Package.
In order to be in the budget, I can only have either the (Driver Assisstance Package + Side and Top View Cameras) or the (Dynamic Handling).

Which one should I get?

I will be owning this car for at least 7 years.

Did I made the wrong choice?

AdamGinOC
10-05-2010, 12:05 AM
I recently ordered and for me it came down to what I thought I'd use more. I did like the Dynamic Handling Package whereas I didn't feel I "needed" the driver assistance package - I don't drive big distances and to me it was a bit of a distraction. Basically, I felt I could use the Dynamic Handling Package every time I drive.

I went for Dynamic Handling Package with the side/top mirrors.

Good luck.

trekman
10-05-2010, 12:11 AM
......In order to be in the budget, I can only have either the (Driver Assisstance Package + Side and Top View Cameras) or the (Dynamic Handling).Which one should I get?...

I have found driver assistance package to be not that useful. The parking feature is nice, although you have to get the speed down quite low for it to become active. The lane departure isn't that useful. Blindspot detection works, but you still need to look, at least I do. All these cameras and similiar features seem to only work at very low speeds, and have to be fuddled with to select the one you want at that time. I like the top view camera best for avoid curbing the tires. With the high door sills and extremely high hood and tail, you cannot see the curb like on older cars. So rear camera is nice to have too. I have been told by a dealer that most cars are going to the high doors/lower height windows to meet the newer side impact standards. I would go with camera's, PDC, and Dynamic Handling, since you paid a premium for the fastest version. Or go with a 535i and get it fully loaded for about the same price. Even my 528 seems fast enough to have fun with, and gets great range. 30.0 mpg over all so far.

melor
10-05-2010, 12:17 AM
The cameras are a unique high tech feature. I would order them with the dynamic handling. I know there has to be an end to spending at some point, but on a car this expensive, is $800 going to make the difference?

Paul

NH JG
10-05-2010, 01:22 AM
I'd go with the dynamic handling over the other items. I personally ordered a 550xi (not in yet) with the sports pkg but didnt even bother with dynamic handling pkg. Reason being, I pushed the demo car harder than I'll ever drive and and it didnt have it either but handled fantastic for me. Bests of luck.

CarBrain
10-05-2010, 09:59 AM
I just called the 1-800-831-1117 number and found out the my oder status is at:

"Schedule for production - with no confirmation production date yet"

Can I still make the changes?

dkerr
10-05-2010, 10:32 AM
If it is in status 111 or 112 than yes you can make changes. The moment it gets to status 150 it is too late. It sounds like you are in 112 so move fast... Status can move from 111 to 112 to 150 very quickly.

CarBrain
10-05-2010, 10:34 AM
If it is in status 111 or 112 than yes you can make changes. The moment it gets to status 150 it is too late. It sounds like you are in 112 so move fast... Status can move from 111 to 112 to 150 very quickly.

Where do you get those number from? I don't see it on the website and I did not hear it when I made the 1-800 number call.

It seems that >90% of the people suggest that I should switch over to the Dynamic Handling package so I have to act fast. It will be a little more expensive but I think it will be worth it. I don't think I will be using the self-parking feature that often but I will miss the blind spot detection since it is a safety feature.

dkerr
By-the- way. I agree with every one else. Get the dynamic handling. I also agree with the person that said that you should consider the 535 and load it up rather than get a 550. This is what I did.

pharding
I have both of the packages under consideration. Definitely get the DHP. If you can swing it financially definitely get Adaptive Cruise Control with Stop and Go. It works in a spectacular manner and will increase gas mileage. The other stuff has marginal utility if cost is a consideration.

The 550 has way more power than you will ever need. I would go for better mileage and better resale value with the 535 and buy more options for the same price.

dkerr
10-05-2010, 10:36 AM
Where do you get those number from? I don't see it on the website and I did not hear it when I made the 1-800 number call.

Dealership or human at BMW NA. And google search will explain what they all mean.

I repeat. If you are in 112 act fast.

CarBrain
10-05-2010, 11:40 AM
The 550 has way more power than you will ever need. I would go for better mileage and better resale value with the 535 and buy more options for the same price.

You bought the 550i.

Do you now regret that you should have bought the 535i instead?

TexasJames
10-05-2010, 12:38 PM
Don't listen to those that blinked and didn't get the 550i. Once you mash the gas on the 550i you'll never go back. I have the dynamic handling package and top/side cameras. I do like the camera views when in close proximity to objects.

CarBrain
10-05-2010, 01:00 PM
I really hate this feeling of going back and forth.

I just spoke with my sale rep and he told me to just keep the Assistive Package and not get the Dynamic Handling package. His reason is that he has a BMW with the option to change sport, sport+, etc...and now he does not use those function anymore and just drive at one setting. He also states that changing to a sport suspension would make the car drive more bumpy and I hates to drive bumpy cars. I am so used to driving Lexus and Mercedes and there comfortable driving style. He states that it would be a waste of money for me to get DH.

With the 550i, he states I can have the power and comfort at the same time without DH.

I know, he is not buying the car and this will be my car and my decision but outside input is also beneficial.

richschneid
10-05-2010, 02:04 PM
I really hate this feeling of going back and forth.

I just spoke with my sale rep and he told me to just keep the Assistive Package and not get the Dynamic Handling package. His reason is that he has a BMW with the option to change sport, sport+, etc...and now he does not use those function anymore and just drive at one setting. He also states that changing to a sport suspension would make the car drive more bumpy and I hates to drive bumpy cars. I am so used to driving Lexus and Mercedes and there comfortable driving style. He states that it would be a waste of money for me to get DH.

With the 550i, he states I can have the power and comfort at the same time without DH.

I know, he is not buying the car and this will be my car and my decision but outside input is also beneficial.

You must get the DHP to make it a car that you want. The DHP is what will make this a BMW and not a Lexus or MB. You don't need the driver assist. I just got both on my new 550i xDrive which I picked up yesterday. The DHP does not make a "bumpy" ride. Your sales rep is probably doing what is easiest for himself. I use the DHP constantly. The driver assist is mostly only useful on the interstate. But if you really don't care then I guess you could get away without the DHP.

If you are keeping the car for 7 years the 550i is a different car than the 535i. But if you spend the money to get both that's only $1350 for the assist and $2700 for the DHP or $4050 total minus discount. That comes to about $575 a year or less than $50/month over 7 years for both. If your going to spend 70 grand on a car spring for the extra $20-30 a month to get both instead of just one or the other and get the car you really want.

Stealth.Pilot
10-05-2010, 02:35 PM
I ordered the 550i with Sports Package four days ago and I think I still have time to change the option.

For some reason I still have a dilema after the order.

The order that I have has the Driver Assisstance Package + Side and Top View Cameras but without the Dynamic Handling Package.
In order to be in the budget, I can only have either the (Driver Assisstance Package + Side and Top View Cameras) or the (Dynamic Handling).

Which one should I get?

I will be owning this car for at least 7 years.

Get all three otherwise you will regret passing on the other for 7 years.

CarBrain
10-05-2010, 03:26 PM
O.K. guys, I will try to find all the dealers around my area and test drive the car with and without the DH package.

I am embarrassed to say that I have not driven a car with Dynamic Handling package yet so I don't know what it is like. I based the "want" of the DH on the many posts in this forum and other bmw forum(s) that DH is one of the must have so I have been re-thinking about getting this option.

The final price that I will pay is $73,000 out the door (includes tax, registration, etc..) so paying a little bit more is not a big deal over the life of the car.

Thinking...thinking...

nosnoop
10-05-2010, 04:02 PM
Yes, you really need to test drive one.

But remember that this is an enthusiasts' forum - so you should already know the answer before you posted the questions ;) Seriously, the opinion here do not represent the general public, which makes up the majority of your sales rep's clients.

It is certainly true that most people do not change the settings much. For example, do you change your auto transmission to sports mode, and do you change gear yourself? Most people don't.

But for those who do, and those who appreciate the benefit of DHP, the satisfaction you can get from it is immense. OTOH, for those who would not bother to use the function after the first month, it is a total waste of money.

tunafish
10-05-2010, 04:02 PM
I have DHP and driver assist on my 535i. I don't have top view camera, but I do have the rear view, and it is great. The DHP is kinda cool in that going from normal to sport has a very dramatic effect on how the car responds...it's almost like having a different car. I don't drive in sport very often because it really burns gas and tempts me to drive like a hot dog. I like the blind spot detector but you have to learn to use it, and this takes some practice. Lane deviation doesn't work very well. By far, the best option is active cruise control. I would not buy another car without it. I am a bit sorry I didn't get HUD, since the active cruise provide a lot of info that tells me what it is up to, and it would be better not to look down at the regular display to find out what it is doing.

richschneid
10-05-2010, 04:45 PM
I have DHP and driver assist on my 535i. I don't have top view camera, but I do have the rear view, and it is great. The DHP is kinda cool in that going from normal to sport has a very dramatic effect on how the car responds...it's almost like having a different car. I don't drive in sport very often because it really burns gas and tempts me to drive like a hot dog. I like the blind spot detector but you have to learn to use it, and this takes some practice. Lane deviation doesn't work very well. By far, the best option is active cruise control. I would not buy another car without it. I am a bit sorry I didn't get HUD, since the active cruise provide a lot of info that tells me what it is up to, and it would be better not to look down at the regular display to find out what it is doing.

I agree totally. I had the active cruise on my 6 for the past five years with the HUD and also would not buy another car without ACC. The HUD gives you the Nav info as well so you can keep your eyes on the road.

Gaucho
10-05-2010, 04:57 PM
I find it interesting that many critics of the new handling and steering not being "BMW enough" have chosen the driver assist package. Why would you want all this automated technology if you want to really "drive and feel" the car? I think this would be called an oxymoron.

Kamdog
10-05-2010, 05:02 PM
The 5 does not have big blind spots at all, I would go for the DHP, hands down.

pharding
10-05-2010, 06:06 PM
..... I don't drive in sport very often because it really burns gas and tempts me to drive like a hot dog. ..... You can set up sport mode so that the engine response is normal and the chassis is in sport mode. And vice versa.

1HOT BMR
10-05-2010, 06:13 PM
Yes, you really need to test drive one.

But remember that this is an enthusiasts' forum - so you should already know the answer before you posted the questions ;) Seriously, the opinion here do not represent the general public, which makes up the majority of your sales rep's clients.

It is certainly true that most people do not change the settings much. For example, do you change your auto transmission to sports mode, and do you change gear yourself? Most people don't.

But for those who do, and those who appreciate the benefit of DHP, the satisfaction you can get from it is immense. OTOH, for those who would not bother to use the function after the first month, it is a total waste of money.

Word! +1

I find it interesting that many critics of the new handling and steering not being "BMW enough" have chosen the driver assist package. Why would you want all this automated technology if you want to really "drive and feel" the car? I think this would be called an oxymoron.

+1

Order DHP only if:

1. You know what it is, you have experience it first hand and now you know you want it.
2. You have at least one nice road available on which you can enjoy the feature.
3. You really enjoy the feeling of a sports car going around a turn without leaning.

Otherwise, save your money and I assure you that you will not miss this feature.

tunafish
10-05-2010, 07:31 PM

Sometimes I feel like cruising, and sometimes I feel like driving...

CarBrain
10-05-2010, 07:53 PM
Arrrggghhhh, I had to work so late today and did not get to go to the dealership to test drive a car with DH. Tomorrow is the same. :-(

With the status of 112, I hope that on Thursday (2 more days) I still make the test drive and can still make the change to have DH if I like it.

I hate this.

AdamGinOC
10-05-2010, 08:10 PM
Arrrggghhhh, I had to work so late today and did not get to go to the dealership to test drive a car with DH. Tomorrow is the same. :-(

With the status of 112, I hope that on Thursday (2 more days) I still make the test drive and can still make the change to have DH if I like it.

I hate this.

Why don't you just cancel the order - temporarily? If I was undecided, that's what I would do. Take the pressure off for a few days.

CarBrain
10-06-2010, 04:45 PM
Yes, I was able to add Dynamic Handling Package to my order without canceling any previous options.

It's only about another $30/month for the next 7 years. Mental note....not a big deal. :rofl:

This is my first BMW in my life so I want to drive a Bimmer instead of another Mercedes-Benz or Lexus.

Now I really want my order to go pass the 112 stage.

1HOT BMR
10-06-2010, 05:06 PM
Yes, I was able to add Dynamic Handling Package to my order without canceling any previous options.

It's only about another $30/month for the next 7 years. Mental note....not a big deal. :rofl:

This is my first BMW in my life so I want to drive a Bimmer instead of another Mercedes-Benz or Lexus.

Now I really want my order to go pass the 112 stage.

Were you able to test drive one with DHP? If so, did it confirm your thoughts about having it vs. not having it? I think you will not regret getting it - a good decision indeed! :D

gregb10
10-06-2010, 05:22 PM
My car just went to 150 and I ordered DHP or driver assistance, defiantely the better choice,,, also added the paddle shifters.

CarBrain
10-06-2010, 05:25 PM
Were you able to test drive one with DHP? If so, did it confirm your thoughts about having it vs. not having it? I think you will not regret getting it - a good decision indeed! :D

Yes, I did get to test drive one with DHP. I was able to get out of work early today instead of having to work late like yesterday and was lucky enough to do some test driving.

It seems that there is a small difference in driving experience. Driving onto the curvey freeway on ramp at fast speed did not make my body roll much. The sales rep kept telling me not to push on the brake which is hard for me to do when going fairly fast on a curvy road.

It was a fun ride. It could just be a placebo effect since in my mind I already want this option.

rigel12
10-06-2010, 10:17 PM
Sometimes I feel like cruising, and sometimes I feel like driving...

TUNAFISH said it all.

Some days I feel like a smooth easy ride, then there are days my mood is more alive and I just want to enjoy the sport. That's what's brilliant about the DHP package, you can adjust your ride of the day. You made the right decision.

solstice
10-06-2010, 10:32 PM
For me it's mainly ARS that makes DHP a must. My ARS is currently broken and there is a big difference to me. It might seem minor at first but during a longer stretch of spirited driving you will be very,very happy to have ARS. I hate body roll.