PDA

View Full Version : Hands free trunk opening

dadesidon
10-05-2010, 05:48 PM
Pretty cool new feature on the 2012 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noeXGac7gx4&feature=player_embedded

CarBrain
10-05-2010, 07:39 PM
I can see some old man with two hands occupied with carrying heavy groceries/etc... and fall backward doing the 1 leg kick.

Nevertheless, I wish this feature was on the 2011 F10.

solstice
10-05-2010, 09:44 PM
Where is bmw heading? Handsfree, air kick trunk opening, I mean really???

Thoreau
10-05-2010, 09:49 PM
I don't understand this at all. Waving your keyfob over the medallion would make more sense. But kicking? What?

Newmanium
10-05-2010, 09:53 PM
I don't understand this at all. Waving your keyfob over the medallion would make more sense. But kicking? What?

Your hands are both full with groceries - your keyfob is in your pocket. Kick your leg under the car, voila, the trunk pops up.

Anybody who doesn't think this is amazing is obviously not the grocery shopper for the family. Scoff all you want, this is awesome!

solstice
10-05-2010, 09:54 PM
Am I alone in wanting bmw to spend more time with honing the driving dynamics and diet control of their cars and less on this kind of crap? Is this what the emerging market wants or where do they come up with these priorities?

solstice
10-05-2010, 09:56 PM
Your hands are both full with groceries - your keyfob is in your pocket. Kick your leg under the car, voila, the trunk pops up.

Anybody who doesn't think this is amazing is obviously not the grocery shopper for the family. Scoff all you want, this is awesome!

What's wrong with a bag or a trolley? Sheesh.

Newmanium
10-05-2010, 10:06 PM
What's wrong with a bag or a trolley? Sheesh.

Do you shop much? 4 plastic bags of groceries, 2 hands. It's pouring rain - if you take a cart, you get soaked while putting it away (and it's a complete waste of time). You're from Seattle, you should know the drill!

This will be a little electronic sensor that won't take away from any driving dynamics. Just ignore it if you don't care.

solstice
10-05-2010, 10:28 PM
Do you shop much? 4 plastic bags of groceries, 2 hands. It's pouring rain - if you take a cart, you get soaked while putting it away (and it's a complete waste of time). You're from Seattle, you should know the drill!

This will be a little electronic sensor that won't take away from any driving dynamics. Just ignore it if you don't care.

I'm at the grocery store more or less every day all year around. If you got a bunch of small ones you know what I'm talking about. And yes, most of it is done in the rain but I have honestly never wished for a handsfree trunk opener and I hope I never will.

solstice
10-05-2010, 10:31 PM
It's a small thing but just another sign that a brand that used to be aimed primarily at drivers is now aiming at... shoppers.

nosnoop
10-05-2010, 10:54 PM
Am I alone in wanting bmw to spend more time with honing the driving dynamics and diet control of their cars and less on this kind of crap? Is this what the emerging market wants or where do they come up with these priorities?

Why would you think they are exclusive of one another??? :rolleyes:

BMW has many design centres. Some are dedicated to M cars, some are chassis and handling...... while some are for electronics/gimmicks/connected drive etc.

They are all part of completely separate teams and groups of people. And BMW is not exactly running out of money or on a tight budget. So I just can't see how an extra or deletion of an electronic feature would have any effect on other departments.

nosnoop
10-05-2010, 10:55 PM
It's a small thing but just another sign that a brand that used to be aimed primarily at drivers is now aiming at... shoppers.

So drivers don't shop???

solstice
10-05-2010, 11:20 PM
Drivers to shop but that bmw seems to think that they need to be at the fontline of trunk opening is to me a bad sign. Do you think Porsche is now lying sleepless nervously thinking about how they can invent a better solution? I doubt it. But if bmw had dropped 500 pounds of the funfer I think it would have caught their attention.

nosnoop
10-05-2010, 11:45 PM
Drivers to shop but that bmw seems to think that they need to be at the fontline of trunk opening is to me a bad sign. Do you think Porsche is now lying sleepless nervously thinking about how they can invent a better solution? I doubt it. But if bmw had dropped 500 pounds of the funfer I think it would have caught their attention.

Sorry, I just have to disagree. I simply don't see how one electronic convenience feature be a "bad sign"..... and even a "sign" of anything. It's like the automatic trunk, comfort access, ambience lighting, illuminated vanity mirrors, rear entertainment.... all of these "luxury" features do nothing to help the driving dynamics.

pharding
10-06-2010, 03:23 AM
That is a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

quackbury
10-06-2010, 05:47 AM
It's not the convenience feature that bothers me. It's that BMW diverted R&D funds to something which has nothing to do with driving or safety. If (like Audi) they were owned by a corporate parent who had spent the R&D $$$ developing the Polka-kick door opener for VW, I'd be fine with it trickling down to an S6. But that's not the case with BMW. I would much rather the limited R&D budget focus on weight reduction, passive safety, or getting the Google to car feature to work.

This trunk gizmo is one more thing to go wrong, eating up shop time and warranty costs. Don't we have enough gremlins as it is? And when the sensors fail (which they will) it's one more part to add to the ligistics chain - warehouse space, shipping costs, etc. The more crap like this has to flow through the system, the more delays for someone like solstice who is waiting for an ars valve, or quackman on the M3 forum who is waiting for a new transmission to arrive from Germany.

The marque is losing its way.

quackbury
10-06-2010, 05:53 AM
BTW I watched the video again and both times he opened the trunk, he held his fob in his left hand while kicking under the bumper with his right foot. If you need to fish the fob out of your pocket or handbag anyway, what's the point? On our X5's, you press a button on the fob and the hatch opens hydraulically, from up to 100 feet away. If you need to fiswh out the fob anyway, isn't this a better solution than having to do the Polka kick?

listerone
10-06-2010, 06:20 AM
Nope,sorry...I'll take a pass on that one.An interesting feature but 1)I'm sure they charge extra for it and 2) it's just one more thing that can break down.

Ronsell
10-06-2010, 06:44 AM
It's not the convenience feature that bothers me. It's that BMW diverted R&D funds to something which has nothing to do with driving or safety. If (like Audi) they were owned by a corporate parent who had spent the R&D $$$ developing the Polka-kick door opener for VW, I'd be fine with it trickling down to an S6. But that's not the case with BMW. I would much rather the limited R&D budget focus on weight reduction, passive safety, or getting the Google to car feature to work.

This trunk gizmo is one more thing to go wrong, eating up shop time and warranty costs. Don't we have enough gremlins as it is? And when the sensors fail (which they will) it's one more part to add to the ligistics chain - warehouse space, shipping costs, etc. The more crap like this has to flow through the system, the more delays for someone like solstice who is waiting for an ars valve, or quackman on the M3 forum who is waiting for a new transmission to arrive from Germany.

Good points, Quack. I'm waiting for this feature: You kiss a door ding and it magically
disappears.

abmwc
10-09-2010, 03:11 PM

I was not all that impressed with this feature's utility, but it did not really strike me as all that high-tech, probably required no R and little D. With comfort access already in place, this only requires a 2 euro motion sensor and some cheap circuitry. I am not really convinced this would detract from any important R&D endeavors.

abmwc