PDA

View Full Version : What is the drawback of the Dynamic Handling Package

CarBrain
10-05-2010, 08:29 PM
I keep seeing how people keep recommending this package and have heard many good things about it.

However, I would like to know what are the disadvantages of having this package besides the high cost.

1. Would it cause more wear and tear to engine?
2. Would it cause the car to consume significantly more gas?
3. Etc...

1HOT BMR
10-05-2010, 09:08 PM
The only drawback I see besides the initial cost and potential extra maintenance/ replacement cost, is the added complexity with more potential issues like warning lights, bad sensors, etc. Other than that it should have no direct effect on engine wear and/or any other car component. :thumbup: I test drove cars with and without the DHP and FWIW, I could not have ordered my car without it - it is a must have for me.

Needsdecaf
10-10-2010, 12:29 PM
Cost of eventual replacement.

Inability to swap out components for other than OEM. For instance, with the active roll bars and the active shocks, you will not be able to go to an aftermarket roll bar or aftermarket shocks later down the road.

Of course, some people would say why would you want to? Well, some people like to tinker. Others are just looking to not spend a bunch of $$ on replacement parts. For instance, on my Volvo R, a replacement strut is approximately $750 plus labor to install. You cannot swap out since they are computer controlled, and tied into the other systems of the car.

richschneid
10-10-2010, 01:08 PM
BMW has been making electronic damper contol, EDC, at least since the 850i and 740i in the early 90s. It is standard on the E60 M5 and M6. The ARS has been around a long time too. I had it on my 650i. It flattens out the corners. I would not get a BMW without it. Also, considering some of the complaints about the steering being to light, the DHP allows you to choose two modes for the steering, light and firm. Gas consumption will not go up in normal or comfort mode, but might in sport depending on how you drive.

There is no downside except cost. The only downside to me would be not to get it.