PDA

View Full Version : Newbe Questions

Ncgo4
10-06-2010, 07:09 AM
I've never owned a BMW and am considering the plunge. A basic question about ordering a new car. I've noticed that dealers have a fairly low inventory of vehicles. If, instead od taking something out of inventory that isn't exactly what I want I may order. Two questions. First, how long does it take to get delivery? Second, can I get a better deal by taking something already in stock?

Thanks for any help.

markl53
10-06-2010, 07:25 AM
Many people order when cars are expensive and have lots of choices. We want the car exactly as WE want it. It takes about 6-8 weeks to order, and yes, you should be able to get as good or better a deal than taking out of stock. The dealer doesn't have to pay "floorplan" for a sold car (the overhead costs of storing and maintaining the in-stock vehicle). I ordered my 535i on 7/24 and it arrived at my MD dealer on 9/13. I took delivery on 9/16. I had just missed a ship when my car arrived at the port in Germany, so my delivery time could have been reduced by about a week if the timing had been just right.

Stevej2001
10-06-2010, 07:37 PM
You can order American cars with just what you want, at least in theory. I've never met anyone who did it however. You might also be able to have your dealer find just the car you want on someone else's lot.

I've always bought off the lot but have a F10 on order. It's a very, very different experience.

BeemerGuy
10-07-2010, 05:42 AM
It sort of depends... if you are like me and want a manual transmission, then you almost have to order it. However, if the dealer has, let's say, a manual transmission car on the lot, they will likely have a difficult time selling it and might give you a heck of a deal just to get rid of it. In my case, they had a 535i with manual, but it didn't have the comfort seats that I wanted and did have the premium package 2 which I did not want, so I choked down my desire for immediate gratification and ordered exactly what I wanted. Since I ordered it before the annual plant shut-down in August, it took a bit longer but it should arrive here today or tomorrow. And I still got a pretty good deal.

This is the fourth car I've ordered, and if you can exercise the patience, it's really the only way to go unless they have exactly what you want in stock (which is unlikely).

edspider
10-08-2010, 08:24 AM
It seems the Chicagoland dealers have only 3-5 5 or 7 series on the lot. I got the feeling they were just there to help show different colors and options. With so many models, packages and options for the 5 Series, how could a dealer guess what to order for inventory. It's just understood you buy or lease a production number and then watch the build progress for 7-8 weeks until it arrives.