PDA

View Full Version : Navigation traffic-alternative route?

Stebro
10-06-2010, 03:45 PM
The new Consumer Reports review of the 535 says the nav system "detects traffic snags but doesn't find you an alternative route." Does this mean there's no detour function on the nav system? Last week, my $120 Tomtom gave me a message saying "there's a 20 minute backup on your route. Would you like a faster route?" I punched yes and it routed me around the traffic jam I'm surprised that the costly system on the BMW doesn't do the same thing.

CC Brown
10-06-2010, 04:08 PM
As I understand it. In the I-Drive you set if you want the route changed by traffic info. Then when it calculates a route it selects the one that is shortest given the traffic. This might still be the same route or it could be a completely different route depending on available optional routes. That's the way my 535i GT works. Consumers has been wrong before-more than once!

markl53
10-06-2010, 05:02 PM
You use the left side ICON menu on the nav screen to select the red triangle, which indicates traffic. There are also small gray triangles on the screen where there is heavy traffic. On the traffic screen are listed the nearby problem areas with additional detail (i.e., lane blocked, slow traffic, etc.) It says "activate detour" and you click it. This turns on "dynamic guidance" which routes you to available detours. My main problem is, I'm on a highway that crosses a bridge from MD to VA and there really isn't any detour most of the time.

markl53
10-06-2010, 05:06 PM
Have you all seen these other features? You need to use split screen mode on the display. When you approach a major highway exit or split point, the right side screen (regardless of what your default split content is set for) shows a depiction of the exit lanes with a large arrow pointing the way. Also, when guidance is on, you can scroll through the computer settings to the "arrow view". I mean the small display between the speedo and tach. As you approach an exit or highway split point, red lane markings appear in the dash display (not the nav screen) with white triangles in the lanes that you should use -- very cool, IMO.

tadtaggert
10-06-2010, 07:27 PM
Have you all seen these other features? You need to use split screen mode on the display. When you approach a major highway exit or split point, the right side screen (regardless of what your default split content is set for) shows a depiction of the exit lanes with a large arrow pointing the way. Also, when guidance is on, you can scroll through the computer settings to the "arrow view". I mean the small display between the speedo and tach. As you approach an exit or highway split point, red lane markings appear in the dash display (not the nav screen) with white triangles in the lanes that you should use -- very cool, IMO.

You get similar in the HUD.

markl53
10-07-2010, 08:44 AM
You get similar in the HUD.

I had massive traffic on my way to work today. I took the suggested alternate route but it didn't help much. Anyway, I noticed something new. When I approached another logjam, the message "Traffic jam ahead!" appeared in the dash message area along with a yellow triangle with cars in it. I wonder what other hidden messages I can elicit from my 535i :yikes:

kenhamm
10-07-2010, 08:52 AM
Who knows, maybe Space Aliens approaching...

CarBrain
10-07-2010, 09:40 AM
Are you guys saying that the Navigation on the F10 can broadcast real traffic info? Do you have to subscribe for this option or is it a default? I just thought it is just a regular navigation system that just give you directions.

solstice
10-07-2010, 09:49 AM
It can and does it well. At least where I live. So far I'm impressed with the F10 nav. I still prefer a touch screen like on the Garmin Nuvi to enter destinations but once it's done I find it to be a good system.

tadtaggert
10-07-2010, 10:02 AM
The new nav is pretty good, there just aren't any out there that are perfect. In terms of comparisons this (http://www.bmwblog.com/2010/09/12/navigation-systems-test-bmw-vs-infiniti-vs-acura-vs-garmin/) is recent. A lot of users have noted that the system seems to have more problems is certain cities/areas, with Texas cities having more issues.

markl53
10-07-2010, 12:00 PM
Are you guys saying that the Navigation on the F10 can broadcast real traffic info? Do you have to subscribe for this option or is it a default? I just thought it is just a regular navigation system that just give you directions.

You don't have to subscribe. I believe I read there are FM stations (behind the scenes) that transmit traffic data to the NAV for display. The F10 radio is basically always "on", when you press the off button you are really just muting the speakers. When you view the traffic information screen it lists the problem areas in order of distance from where you are. It describes the basic issue, like "blocked lane", "stop and go", etc. You can click for more info, but so far, that shows the same data for me.

shortcut3d
10-07-2010, 02:22 PM
It can and does it well. At least where I live. So far I'm impressed with the F10 nav. I still prefer a touch screen like on the Garmin Nuvi to enter destinations but once it's done I find it to be a good system.

Sending addresses via Google Maps is a plus that over comes the lack of touch screen input. I just wish Google enabled this feature on the iPad.

shortcut3d
10-07-2010, 02:25 PM
The new navigation now has a grey shaded 2D display that shows traffic Google Maps style instead of the old arrows. This view is available under the map settings. You get yellow and orange highlighting next to the roads. I find this helpful when zoomed out to 5 miles to estimate the best route home. Years of driving in the SF Bay Area can not be replaced by intelligent routing in the BMW or TomTom IQ routes.

Kamdog
10-07-2010, 07:25 PM
I have an 08 E60, it has RTTinfo, and it does dynamically re-route you, and has saved my bacon quite a few times. I can't imagine that the F10's RTTI has gone backwards. Sometimes, however, there just isn't a better alternative route.