PDA

View Full Version : Beaten to death-550xi-535xi

Harvey T. Gluck
10-07-2010, 02:39 PM
being a New Memeber and I am going to order tommorow,I have a Question of the forum.......Am I reading or missing something------if you order the 535XI with most of the missing Options like I am doing--its the exact same car as the 550XI excpet the appearance of the Wheels and of course the Engine........
If thats true here on Long Island you can't use a lot of Speed--so why the 550XI...Price wise you also save around $6000.00 plus... and I already have a Speed merchant in a 2010 ZR1..
Would appreciate any thoughts before I pull the Trigger......... Also forced to Buy because the lease figures are insane ( 24 Months--thats all I ever do) Thanks in advance.. Harvey

richschneid
10-07-2010, 02:47 PM
being a New Memeber and I am going to order tommorow,I have a Question of the forum.......Am I reading or missing something------if you order the 535XI with most of the missing Options like I am doing--its the exact same car as the 550XI excpet the appearance of the Wheels and of course the Engine........
If thats true here on Long Island you can't use a lot of Speed--so why the 550XI...Price wise you also save around $6000.00 plus... and I already have a Speed merchant in a 2010 ZR1..
Would appreciate any thoughts before I pull the Trigger......... Also forced to Buy because the lease figures are insane ( 24 Months--thats all I ever do) Thanks in advance.. Harvey

Usually BMW has some upgrades to the V-8 models from the 6 cylinder models. Go to www.bmwusa.com to check for any differences.

solstice
10-07-2010, 03:27 PM
"so why the 550XI"

Unless you like to drag race I can't really come up with an answer other than "status". The 550 does not make sense for me, maybe it's the same for you.
If the 535 felt under powered it would be another story but it doesn't. It feels like the sportiest attribute of the car already.

TJPark01
10-07-2010, 03:53 PM
When one starts maxing out the options on the 535i, it starts pressing against the 550i with moderate options. When I went to buy, there were more 550i's available than 535's. I contemplated getting the 550 many times and was quite torn about it. In the end I went for a 535i loaded with about everything except, active steering,night vision and active cruise control. In my dreams I would be powering down the Bavarian country side at triple digit speeds. In reality, sitting in traffic listening to Howard Stern. When oil creeps back above $100 a barrel (the spot price broke back above 80 this week), you'll be glad you went for the 535. (It's the Goldilocks model. 528i too slow, 550i too much, 535i, just right...Kinda like the 3 is too small, the 7 is too big and the 5 is just right.
In-line 6 is BMW's core competency. It's what they're known for and synonymous with the brand. Also, someone pointed out earlier and forgive me for repeating this but one would be wise to buy a Mont Blanc pen, but take a pass on the Mont Blanc watch.

B-1 Pilot
10-07-2010, 04:57 PM
Also, someone pointed out earlier and forgive me for repeating this but one would be wise to buy a Mont Blanc pen, but take a pass on the Mont Blanc watch.

You also clearly have not owned a Mont Blanc watch -- I have one and will tell you it is as fine a watch as my Breitling, Rolex, Bell & Ross, and Omega.

I also think that the Boxer engine is more eponymous for BMW, but opinions may vary. If I am going to get a BMW inline 6 (besides the one in my S.O.'s 3-series), I think I am going to get this:

https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/pressclub/p/pcgl/pressDetail.html?outputChannelId=6&id=T0084843EN&left_menu_item=node__5857

sorry, got carried away and thought I was on the Bike Forum...

tadtaggert
10-07-2010, 05:03 PM
"so why the 550XI"

Unless you like to drag race I can't really come up with an answer other than "status". The 550 does not make sense for me, maybe it's the same for you.
If the 535 felt under powered it would be another story but it doesn't. It feels like the sportiest attribute of the car already.

Was just the opposite to me, don't like to drag race but do like command of the car; when I want to move, passing or somesuch, I want it to move now. I have an E60 535 in the garage my father left me, never really thought it's performance was very good, and thought the N55 a poor match to the F10, performance is less.

I do have access to several 'tracks' that I can open it up a bit as well as some sophisticated 'twisties', live in a smaller town so am not sitting in traffic much, so my circumstances are different.

Drive them both, one will feel more 'right' for you, go with that whatever it is.

solstice
10-07-2010, 05:45 PM
I agree it's a personal thing, some just like more power, nothing wrong with that. I prefer a more balanced car with similar performance in the chassi as in the drive train. To me the 535s drive train has more performance feel than the chassi so I gladly trade the extra 550i power for the lesser weight and slightly more nimble feel of the 535i. It's strong enough at legal speeds imo.

DXK
10-07-2010, 05:55 PM
I agree it's a personal thing, some just like more power, nothing wrong with that. I prefer a more balanced car with similar performance in the chassi as in the drive train. To me the 535s drive train has more performance feel than the chassi so I gladly trade the extra 550i power for the lesser weight and slightly more nimble feel of the 535i. It's strong enough at legal speeds imo.

I actually agree with all that since it was exactly why I chose e60 535 over 550.
Now, however, in comparison with e60, f10 has the same HP + 300 lb. I know I couldn't be happy with that, so I had to try 550. + I am not absolutely convinced the fuel delivery issues have been fixed.
In any case, those 535 vs. 550 debates were a constant occurrence on the e60 forums, I am surprised it took so long to start one here:)

solstice
10-07-2010, 05:57 PM
As another example I ride a slightly tuned Ducati 748s with around 120hp. Not very much compared to a 160hp R1 and similar "rice burners" but the chassi is sublime and I can put all those 120 ponies to use. That's what I like and I wouldn't add 50 hp to the bike even it was for free.

1HOT BMR
10-07-2010, 06:36 PM
I think the mere fact that you are thinking you have the power on the ZR1 and you like the idea of saving $6,000 by choosing the 535, indicates that you will probably get and be most happy with the 535. Nobody "needs" more than 250 horses, it's only about wanting - for whatever reason. It's a personal thing so please don't listen to any of us and purchase what you think is right for you. :thumbup:

TJPark01
10-07-2010, 06:55 PM
You also clearly have not owned a Mont Blanc watch -- I have one and will tell you it is as fine a watch as my Breitling, Rolex, Bell & Ross, and Omega.

I'm sure it's great, but the point is it's not their core competency and it's not what they're known for. It's like going to the finest steak joint in town and getting the chicken. It's probably really good, but it's not what it's known for. Anyway... I don't know about you guys but where I live, there is a moratorium on speeding. There isn't anywhere safe (and by safe I mean without the man watching you), where you can go 100+, which is what these cars were meant to do. Unless $ isn't really an issue for you what so ever. The 550i is kinda like going rabbit hunting with a .50 caliber rifle.

SteVTEC
10-07-2010, 06:57 PM
528 = plenty fast
535 = too fast
550 = absurdly way too fast
your ZR1 = fricken insane

Just a question of what you want in a DD car.

quackbury
10-07-2010, 07:55 PM
Contrarian here.

Harvey, we know from your prior posts you are 71 and dealing with the stress of a disabled spouse. Life is short. If the 550 puts a bigger smile on your face just one day a month, it's worth it. For us younger guys, there will always be another BMW on the horizon, but with all you've got on your plate, I say go for it.

You don't want to be 2 years into owning the car and find your self saying, "Wow. I could have had a ...."

pharding
10-07-2010, 08:56 PM
I don"t believe that the spread is 6K. If you look at the options and standard components I believe that the spread is approximately $4,000 if my memory serves me correctly.

NH JG
10-07-2010, 10:04 PM

Harvey, depending on what your overall objective is, I would drive both cars back to back, determine which engine, rims, back ends/exhaust set up you like best, compare your desired configuration for each and ultimatley the cost and see where you end up. Ohnestly, I always thought about getting a Vette, as I love pure acceleration but now view the 550Xi as a car that has it all for me with out the expense (maint, insurance, payments, etc.) and storage/space needs of having a second car. So, maybe you'll decide to go for the 550, consolidate and sell the Vette and come out ahead of the game. Bets of Luck. JG

HPIA4v2
10-07-2010, 10:06 PM
The simplest way of looking, in E60 you can't mod 550i that will produce >20HP w/o breaking the bank; the F10 550i can be easily modded with S/W for >100Hp gain with a cost of exhaust and cold air intake. Not just Dinan, watch GIAC and even euro tuners to join the mod arena which will push the price of mod down. This N63 engine shares vast major components with S63 in M series producing 550HP so that later number is not out of reach for modded 550i.
Back to OP, he owns a vette so mod is probably not out of his realm so go with 550i.

solstice
10-07-2010, 10:30 PM
There are still good arguments for both models dependent on preferences and priorities but you can no longer argue that the 550i is way stronger in acceleration which you could for the E60.

tadtaggert
10-08-2010, 05:48 AM
There are still good arguments for both models dependent on preferences and priorities but you can no longer argue that the 550i is way stronger in acceleration which you could for the E60.

I must be missing what you're trying to say here.

F10 550i > E60 550i > E60 535i > F10 535i is how acceleration is.

Lerxst101
10-08-2010, 07:08 AM

I also think that the Boxer engine is more eponymous for BMW, but opinions may vary. If I am going to get a BMW inline 6 (besides the one in my S.O.'s 3-series), I think I am going to get this:

https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/pressclub/p/pcgl/pressDetail.html?outputChannelId=6&id=T0084843EN&left_menu_item=node__5857

sorry, got carried away and thought I was on the Bike Forum...

Thanks for your post. Great way to start the morning! Oh, if I could only convince my wife: "Honey, you said a BMW was a great idea. I didn't know you meant a car...." :rofl:

DDL24
10-08-2010, 07:21 AM
I'm sure it's great, but the point is it's not their core competency and it's not what they're known for. It's like going to the finest steak joint in town and getting the chicken. It's probably really good, but it's not what it's known for. Anyway... I don't know about you guys but where I live, there is a moratorium on speeding. There isn't anywhere safe (and by safe I mean without the man watching you), where you can go 100+, which is what these cars were meant to do. Unless $ isn't really an issue for you what so ever. The 550i is kinda like going rabbit hunting with a .50 caliber rifle.

I hear your logic on BMW and inline 6. But BMW's V8 is no worse than any other car makers V8s. If buyers want a more luxury feel, a V8 will deliver more of that than a 6.
also it comes down to power reserve, you don't need most of your horsepower in most of situations, but when it is time to put the hammer down, and you want it ASAP, then knowing you got it can be a master card moment. For some people, that moment is not worth the premium, for others, it worth a lot. Depend on your situation.
I think 550 is more lik go hunting with nice collections of hunting weapons, from .22 to powerful .5 cal. Situation dictates weapon of choice. V8 -walking quietly and carrying a big stick; I-6 -walking quietly, carrying a medium stick....lol

NH JG
10-08-2010, 10:57 AM
I hear your logic on BMW and inline 6. But BMW's V8 is no worse than any other car makers V8s. If buyers want a more luxury feel, a V8 will deliver more of that than a 6.
also it comes down to power reserve, you don't need most of your horsepower in most of situations, but when it is time to put the hammer down, and you want it ASAP, then knowing you got it can be a master card moment. For some people, that moment is not worth the premium, for others, it worth a lot. Depend on your situation.
I think 550 is more lik go hunting with nice collections of hunting weapons, from .22 to powerful .5 cal. Situation dictates weapon of choice. V8 -walking quietly and carrying a big stick; I-6 -walking quietly, carrying a medium stick....lol

Very well said.

solstice
10-08-2010, 11:53 AM
If the F10 handled like an M3 I would likely have wanted the extra power from the 550 but it doesn't. To me the 535s drive train is more than sufficient to match the F10s handling. Now, there is a case to made for the luxuary feel. If your aim is a dignified cruiser ( think Rolls Royce ) the engine should never ever have to work hard or sound strained. Here the 550 is the better choice even if the N55 with the 8-speed can do a pretty good job in this area as well. That's the nice way to put it, the not so nice is that american car history is full of cars with huge engines and questionable handling, is that what you want from your bmw?

Harvey T. Gluck
10-08-2010, 11:55 AM
I would like to Thank everybody for there responses....tuff decision, but Iam going to order today or tommorow??????? Guess it will boil down to which is a better Deal.
All your thoughts make sense......Can't give up the Corvette though because I have one in my Garage since 1965..
Franl;y I am leaning towards the 535XI because I look at it as more of a Luxury car, and if I need to kill myself I can go into the Garage and take out the Corvette.
This sought of a Problem is good in a way, because it gives me some "Reflief" from watching my Wife slowly Die from ALS...its been three Years of living Hell, but I Love her so much I can't run the other way.
I will say this in closing-------"Cherish your Health, and make sure you have Long Term Care Insurance (Which I have).
.Enjoy every day and wish the hardest decision you have to make is whch BMW "You are going to Buy"
Will let you know which one I buy soon......Harvey

anskyjd
10-08-2010, 12:16 PM
Just wanting to chime in and offer you my best in dealing with your wifes illness. I watched an Aunt of mine deal with that dreaded disease for 4 long years, was so hard to watch, feeling so utterly helpless. Anyway, best of luck, get the car that just feels right.