PDA

View Full Version : can you get sport (multi contour) seats with leatherette?

soledoc
10-07-2010, 06:21 PM
I'm trying to build a 535 in deep sea blue metallic, aluminum trim, black leatherette and multi contour seats. It won't let me. It keeps kicking it up to black dakota leather seats. I don't want leather seats. I have the leatherette and they are fine.

Does anybody know if this is possible. I really don't need to pay $1,450 for leather when I don't want it. Hey, I'd actually prefer a nice cloth seat like you can get in europe...or even better a split cloth and leather seat like I had in my 2004 volvo S60 T5. That was a beautiful seat.

DXK
10-07-2010, 06:49 PM
I am pretty sure leather is required for comfort seats which, btw, are highly recommended

brandonw
10-07-2010, 06:49 PM
I am gonna say "no way." I bet they figure someone will to pay extra for "comfort" seats is willing and wanting leather as well. I think though its your preference (nothing wrong with that), that you are in a minority so small of people who would even want this combo or would be so against the leather due to price.

I will say I agree with you that the Dakota leather is so close to the leatherette, why bother. That's why this time around I opted for the Nappa, as I enjoy the feel so much more.

soledoc
10-08-2010, 05:42 AM
That stinks. I really like my black leatherette now. It's fine. Why bother with the leather? So what if I want sport seats...why should they have to be leather. I don't get the logic:mad:
I'm not even getting the premium package. No need in my opinion. I can move the seats my self. I can push a button on my garage door opener just as easy as one integrated into the sun visor...etc.

FPNY
10-08-2010, 06:40 AM
BMW doesn"t offer endless possibilities for their options. I found it odd that with the cold weather package you get heated seats, but they also come with one of the premium packages. It's like paying over a grand for a heated steering wheel and headlight washers. I passed on the cold weather pack in my car. It didn't make sense to me to pay that money for those two items.

brandonw
10-08-2010, 06:54 AM
BMW doesn"t offer endless possibilities for their options. I found it odd that with the cold weather package you get heated seats, but they also come with one of the premium packages. It's like paying over a grand for a heated steering wheel and headlight washers. I passed on the cold weather pack in my car. It didn't make sense to me to pay that money for those two items.

You actually dont. When you combine certain packages that have some feature (option) overlap, the price of one of the packages, in this case, the cold weather package is reduced, when selected with the premium package 1.

markl53
10-08-2010, 07:15 AM
That stinks. I really like my black leatherette now. It's fine. Why bother with the leather? So what if I want sport seats...why should they have to be leather. I don't get the logic:mad:
I'm not even getting the premium package. No need in my opinion. I can move the seats my self. I can push a button on my garage door opener just as easy as one integrated into the sun visor...etc.

I had two 3-series before my new 5, I had leather in all of them. I think the number of people choosing leatherette becomes lower as you move up the line of cars. Meaning, I believe very few 5-series are ordered without leather. I never understood that adamant position of some owners who swear off leather, there really is no comparison once you've experienced leather (IMO). The multi-contour seats are already an expensive choice, I would think the number of buyers who want leatherette comfort seats is even lower, probably miniscule. It wouldn't make sense for BMW to manufacture both. In fact, only black and beige interiors are offered in leatherette. If you go gray or cinnamon you're already into leather. And, if you ordered the premium package, you would have leather as well.

AzNMpower32
10-08-2010, 08:10 AM
Unfortunately, in the US, the sport package adds the multi-contour seats, which always require Leather.

In Europe, there is a sports seat (not multi-contour) which can be ordered in the leather/cloth combo for ***8364;580, or a black cloth/alcantara combo with the M sport package (imagine how well that would grip in the corners!). Part-electric seats are standard either way, electric adjustments cost extra with any seat except Multi-Contour. But you can get 4-way electric lumbar adjustment a la carte. Dakota Leather costs ***8364;2010 and Nappa costs ***8364;3030. Leatherette is not available.

But BMW NA specs options and packages to suit the "average" American preference. So.......you can't always get what you want.

markl53
10-08-2010, 08:22 AM
or a black cloth/alcantara combo with the M sport package (imagine how well that would grip in the corners!)

Well, what some people like, others (me) would hate. I can't stand the type of cloth seat where you can't easily adjust your body position because you "stick" to it. Maybe I'm not a "true" driver, but I much prefer a leather seat where I am not plastered to it and can easily move into position or make minor adjustments in my seating posture/position.

Ronsell
10-08-2010, 09:26 AM
I had two 3-series before my new 5, I had leather in all of them. I think the number of people choosing leatherette becomes lower as you move up the line of cars. Meaning, I believe very few 5-series are ordered without leather. I never understood that adamant position of some owners who swear off leather, there really is no comparison once you've experienced leather (IMO). The multi-contour seats are already an expensive choice, I would think the number of buyers who want leatherette comfort seats is even lower, probably miniscule. It wouldn't make sense for BMW to manufacture both. In fact, only black and beige interiors are offered in leatherette. If you go gray or cinnamon you're already into leather. And, if you ordered the premium package, you would have leather as well.

I agree that the number of buyers who want vinyl in a 5 series is pretty small.
I love the leather in my F10. However, I also have a MB GLK 350 with MB-Tex,
and it's especially nice if you have kids and/or pets--you just wipe down the
seats with a damp cloth. It wears like iron. A neighbor jokingly told me that having
a Mercedes with vinyl seats is, in his opinion, sort of like owning a million-dollar
house with linoleum floors and Formica countertops.

listerone
10-08-2010, 09:50 AM
I'm probably in the minority but I don't like leather *or* "leatherette".I've always been a huge fan of fabric seats and always will be.They're *much* more comfortable...summer and winter.I'd pay extra if needed to get fabric seats in a high end car like an F-10.

midwestengr
10-08-2010, 10:31 AM
Without a doubt, option combination are all about profit. Good thing about Leatherette is that it smells very good compared to smell from bmw leather. More importantly, while driving aggressively, Leatherette hold your body and seat like a glue due to it's surface texture. Leather seat is so slippery especially while applying conditioner and not good at aggressive driving. Also Leatherette is maintenance free, does not need to apply any conditioner. I had my '06 325i and after 2yr when traded in, it still look like brand new. That's why I specially ordered Ivory Leatherette for my new F10 and it looks really nice! BTW, don't forget to order 4 zone climate control option which appear so nice for rear seat passengers and car looks more luxurious appearance.

markl53
10-08-2010, 01:39 PM
Without a doubt, option combination are all about profit. Good thing about Leatherette is that it smells very good compared to smell from bmw leather. More importantly, while driving aggressively, Leatherette hold your body and seat like a glue due to it's surface texture. Leather seat is so slippery especially while applying conditioner and not good at aggressive driving. Also Leatherette is maintenance free, does not need to apply any conditioner. I had my '06 325i and after 2yr when traded in, it still look like brand new. That's why I specially ordered Ivory Leatherette for my new F10 and it looks really nice! BTW, don't forget to order 4 zone climate control option which appear so nice for rear seat passengers and car looks more luxurious appearance.

Um, what color interior was your 325i? I had beige MB-Tex in a C class and it did hold up very well, but it will need to be cleaned regularly to avoid soil build-up. BTW, my Cinnamon colored leather interior on my '08 335i that I just sold looked brand new after 2.5 years. I only cleaned it 3 times and never used conditioner. Leather does not take as much care as some people claim, however lighter colors will need to be tended to much more frequently. Oh, I got Cinnamon leather again in my new 535i. I had contemplated Oyster but I knew it would be difficult to maintain as new.

markl53
10-08-2010, 01:41 PM
I agree that the number of buyers who want vinyl in a 5 series is pretty small.
I love the leather in my F10. However, I also have a MB GLK 350 with MB-Tex,
and it's especially nice if you have kids and/or pets--you just wipe down the
seats with a damp cloth. It wears like iron. A neighbor jokingly told me that having
a Mercedes with vinyl seats is, in his opinion, sort of like owning a million-dollar
house with linoleum floors and Formica countertops.

Tell you what, I had an '02 C Class with combination MB-Tex and leather inserts. No one knew it wasn't full leather. I think the MB-Tex looks more like leather than BMW leatherette. Also, the center of that seat was leather, it was only the bolsters which were MB-Tex. A lot of MB's are not leather, I hate to tell your neighbor.

Ronsell
10-08-2010, 02:38 PM
Tell you what, I had an '02 C Class with combination MB-Tex and leather inserts. No one knew it wasn't full leather. I think the MB-Tex looks more like leather than BMW leatherette. Also, the center of that seat was leather, it was only the bolsters which were MB-Tex. A lot of MB's are not leather, I hate to tell your neighbor.

You're right, Mark. When I bought my GLK 350, it seemed that most of the cars
on the showroom floor had MB-Tex rather than leather (C-class, E-class, etc.).
In fact, the dealer had several GLKs in stock (some very well equipped: navi, etc.),
and not one had leather. I've never experienced BMW's leatherette, so I
really can't comment on its quality/durability.

speady
10-08-2010, 03:04 PM
Do airlines have cloth seats i first class?
We are talking about a 5 series!

soledoc
10-09-2010, 03:38 AM
Unfortunately, in the US, the sport package adds the multi-contour seats, which always require Leather.

In Europe, there is a sports seat (not multi-contour) which can be ordered in the leather/cloth combo for 580, or a black cloth/alcantara combo with the M sport package (imagine how well that would grip in the corners!). Part-electric seats are standard either way, electric adjustments cost extra with any seat except Multi-Contour. But you can get 4-way electric lumbar adjustment a la carte. Dakota Leather costs 2010 and Nappa costs 3030. Leatherette is not available.

But BMW NA specs options and packages to suit the "average" American preference. So.......you can't always get what you want.

See...that's what I'm talking about. I love the european seats. I don't get it why we can't have them here. At least give us the option if they are already making them for certain markets it wouldn't be a stretch to get them here. I'm not the "average" american preference I guess.

Looks like my next car, 535 manual, will have black leather because I have to have the multi contour seats. I don't need much else beside that and heated seats. Pretty simple.

soledoc
10-09-2010, 03:40 AM
Well, what some people like, others (me) would hate. I can't stand the type of cloth seat where you can't easily adjust your body position because you "stick" to it. Maybe I'm not a "true" driver, but I much prefer a leather seat where I am not plastered to it and can easily move into position or make minor adjustments in my seating posture/position.

I'm not talking about the cloth where you stick to it. There are some very fine cloth seats I've sat in both here and in europe. BMW even makes it in europe. But I hear you...to each his own.

soledoc
10-09-2010, 03:42 AM

So I assume then that you have the standard seat with your ivory leatherette seat? How would you say it feels? I would appreciate your comment especially if you have sat in the F10 multi contour seat as a comparison.

soledoc
10-09-2010, 03:43 AM
I'm probably in the minority but I don't like leather *or* "leatherette".I've always been a huge fan of fabric seats and always will be.They're *much* more comfortable...summer and winter.I'd pay extra if needed to get fabric seats in a high end car like an F-10.

Amen brother! At least someone out there agrees with me and doesn't think I'm crazy.

AzNMpower32
10-09-2010, 07:18 AM
I wonder how hard it would be for BMW to offer cloth or cloth/leather split as a Priority One option. Dealers wouldn't order it, but then individuals who want the option can have it at no cost.

SARAFIL
10-09-2010, 07:35 AM
I wonder how hard it would be for BMW to offer cloth or cloth/leather split as a Priority One option. Dealers wouldn't order it, but then individuals who want the option can have it at no cost.

It's a trade-off that they have to weigh. Historically I think there are few reasons why BMW has limited the colors, trim and options offered on US cars:

First off, even if it is a "priority 1" option, there is still the chance that some customers might order it and cancel so dealers would get stuck with cars that have cloth seats. That has to be one thing that they are thinking about. It would only take 1 canceled order to sour a dealer on the availability of cloth seats.

Another is cost efficiencies. One of the reasons why we have limited a-la-carte options and don't get to pick from all the features offered in Europe is that it saves BMWNA money. One of the reasons why BMWs are cheaper in the US than in many other countries is because the limited range of options helps simply production and can save some costs. By agreeing to limit the colors, trim and options offered in the US market, BMWNA can get a lower price from BMWAG for US spec cars. It's the same reason why we have a handful of option packages and relatively few a-la-carte options on US models, compared to European cars where you order everything you want separately.

Good news is that with advances in production efficiency, I think BMW will be moving to offer more options and more Priority 1 options. They've made mention of it several times with the X3 launch, I think as we get more info we'll see that BMW is going to start encouraging more custom orders in the US and might encourage people to do so by offering a greater choice of options on custom-order cars. So, maybe times are changing.

midwestengr
10-09-2010, 09:35 AM
I test drove 4 x F-10 with leather sets before buying my F-10 with std ivory leatherette seat. To be honest with you, I feel more comfortable with Leatherette seat. One of my test drove F-10 has multicontour seats which kept my seating position much better compared to regular leather seat while test driving on twisted roads with moderate or high speed during my test drive.

When I pick up my car at performance center at SC, I did have a chance to drive M5 (of course leather seats). During the driving practice on the race track, it was very difficult to stay on the position due to slippery. Especially when I sat in passenger seat. Although the M5's multicontour seats that have automatic side bolsters helped.

Regarding the smell refer to my previous thread, I got so many loaner bmws with leather seats while servicing my previous 4 bmws and including my previously owned '06 530i and '08 X-5.

I really don't like smell of BMW leather especially when applying BMW brand leather conditioner, it worst so that I switched to Lexus conditioner.

No one knew this is leatherette or leather unless you tell people who does not owned bmw.

soledoc
10-09-2010, 07:39 PM

Forgive my ignorance, but what is a Priority One option? So are you saying there might be a chance to get a cloth seat? Would it make any difference if I'm picking it up in Munich? (which I will...for my 2nd ED).

soledoc
10-09-2010, 08:01 PM
Here's what I would want: I got this off the italian bmw site.
http://www.bmw.it/it/it/newvehicles/5series/sedan/2010/showroom/carconfigurator/configurator.html
that link doesn't take you to the pick, but if you go to the configurator (configura) you can see they have 4 types of cloth and cloth/leather combinations. Those italians have good fashion sense and that's the kind of seat I would like. I would even pay extra for that over the leatherette. The UK doesn't even get these seats.

I'm going to ask my sales guy at the dealer what he thinks about this if it's possible to do especially on a european delivery car that will be built near Munich.

gregpoland
10-09-2010, 10:47 PM
Only way to get leatherette is pass on sport package which automatically gets you multi contour seats.

innovativeit
10-10-2010, 05:59 AM
Forgive my ignorance, but what is a Priority One option? So are you saying there might be a chance to get a cloth seat? Would it make any difference if I'm picking it up in Munich? (which I will...for my 2nd ED).

Priority 1 means that the dealer can only order that option on a car sold or ordered by a customer and not for an inventory car. I believe that Priority 1 cars go through the VPC ahead of cars that have only been ordered for inventory.

Needsdecaf
10-10-2010, 08:22 AM
I'm trying to build a 535 in deep sea blue metallic, aluminum trim, black leatherette and multi contour seats. It won't let me. It keeps kicking it up to black dakota leather seats. I don't want leather seats. I have the leatherette and they are fine.

Does anybody know if this is possible. I really don't need to pay $1,450 for leather when I don't want it. Hey, I'd actually prefer a nice cloth seat like you can get in europe...or even better a split cloth and leather seat like I had in my 2004 volvo S60 T5. That was a beautiful seat.

Hey Doc, good to see you over here. :thumbup: I'm currently deciding whether to live with the pain of an N54 equipped 535xi touring as a replacement to the VR, or get a F10 sedan and save myself the pain. How's the Saffron doing? DIdn't you sell it to your brother in law?

In any event, no, as others have said, the multi-contour seats require leather. If it's the heat that's bothering you, you can plump for the active / vented seats option. More $$ but certainly worth it, IMO.

soledoc
10-10-2010, 08:45 AM
Hey Doc, good to see you over here. :thumbup: I'm currently deciding whether to live with the pain of an N54 equipped 535xi touring as a replacement to the VR, or get a F10 sedan and save myself the pain. How's the Saffron doing? DIdn't you sell it to your brother in law?

In any event, no, as others have said, the multi-contour seats require leather. If it's the heat that's bothering you, you can plump for the active / vented seats option. More $$ but certainly worth it, IMO.

Hey...you too. You're hanging out here? ?Cool. How' the R? You remember the saffron V70R...well you're right except it's my brother. He's got it out in Mammoth Lakes, CA and in fact I saw it a few weeks ago at his wedding. He's had it almost a year now. I drove it out there and it is doing fine. He's taking good care of it. I do miss it but glad to see it's still around and in the family and getting taken care of. He says it does great in the mountains and all that snow with good snow tires.

Yea...I hear you about the N54 xi touring. I personally wouldn't get that engine. It's good bad the N55 won't be here as a wagon.

Needsdecaf
10-10-2010, 09:55 AM
Hey...you too. You're hanging out here? ?Cool. How' the R? You remember the saffron V70R...well you're right except it's my brother. He's got it out in Mammoth Lakes, CA and in fact I saw it a few weeks ago at his wedding. He's had it almost a year now. I drove it out there and it is doing fine. He's taking good care of it. I do miss it but glad to see it's still around and in the family and getting taken care of. He says it does great in the mountains and all that snow with good snow tires.

Yea...I hear you about the N54 xi touring. I personally wouldn't get that engine. It's good bad the N55 won't be here as a wagon.

The R..well, it's getting old. The 4C on my car (an '04) has never worked right, and it's just finally gotten to be too much. It's got a bit over 100k on it, and it's time for a change. Too bad, as the car is perfect for our needs.

I can understand why BMW isn't bringing the F10 wagon here...but why bring the F07 GT here? If there's anything Americans like less than wagons it's hatches. And a big premium hatch as a concept really only works in Europe. One would think that if they were going to spend the $$ federalizing a car, they should have done it for the F10 touring. Oh well.

The F10 has a big enough trunk for our needs so it's a viable alternative. I was impressed by the very, very brief test drive I took in a 535, and didn't really miss the "BMWness" that others have complained of. But the multi-contour seats are pretty much a must after the R (have there ever been better seats) and with those it starts getting spendy, quickly. I'm also worried that after the turbo torque of the R, I'd miss it wringing out a 528 to make the power.

You going to do another Welt delivery?

soledoc
10-11-2010, 07:21 AM
The R..well, it's getting old. The 4C on my car (an '04) has never worked right, and it's just finally gotten to be too much. It's got a bit over 100k on it, and it's time for a change. Too bad, as the car is perfect for our needs.

I can understand why BMW isn't bringing the F10 wagon here...but why bring the F07 GT here? If there's anything Americans like less than wagons it's hatches. And a big premium hatch as a concept really only works in Europe. One would think that if they were going to spend the $$ federalizing a car, they should have done it for the F10 touring. Oh well.

The F10 has a big enough trunk for our needs so it's a viable alternative. I was impressed by the very, very brief test drive I took in a 535, and didn't really miss the "BMWness" that others have complained of. But the multi-contour seats are pretty much a must after the R (have there ever been better seats) and with those it starts getting spendy, quickly. I'm also worried that after the turbo torque of the R, I'd miss it wringing out a 528 to make the power.

You going to do another Welt delivery?

Yea, I figured your R was getting up there. Not bad considering it's an '04. I'd say it's time to upgrade. I agree that after the R seats there is nothing quite as good...even a multi-contour or sport seat in a BMW. I actually miss the seats in my saffron wagon the most.

Yes, I'll be going back to the Welt for my next car which will be a 2012 535i 6 speed manual. I'm keeping my '02 525i touring for a while. I've had it just over a year now and it's doing fine. I like the extra room of a 5 series for driving the family around. The wife isn't so keen on taking the family/friends in the 3 series...and I tend to agree. Need something bigger for daily driving so I'm making the jump from a 3 to a 5.

Hope you find a good wagon.