PDA

View Full Version : No front license plate...what is the chance that you will get a ticket?

CarBrain
10-08-2010, 03:00 PM
If you live in a state (like California) that requires front license plate and you chose not to have the front license plate, have you guys received a ticket from a cop just for that reason alone.

I want to now the probability so I can decide whether to take a risk or not.

I hate to have the plate to slightly ruin the great look of the car.

schlagle
10-08-2010, 03:04 PM
I never put the front license on and have never had a problem. Pretty much it just gives them a reason to pull you over if they are looking for a reason but that's about it. I guess if you annoy them enough during another stop they could add it to the ticket just to be annoying.

jeff650
10-08-2010, 03:17 PM
I've lived in CA for over 27 years and have never put on a front plate. Only once was I stopped, and I left without a ticket.

Ronsell
10-08-2010, 03:23 PM
If you live in a state (like California) that requires front license plate and you chose not to have the front license plate, have you guys received a ticket from a cop just for that reason alone.

Texas also requires a front plate. My CA said that probably 80% of the
customers at his dealership elect not to have the front plate installed. It seems
that it is a fairly rare occurrence to be ticketed in Texas. It does happen, but
it seems to occur mostly in rural areas/small towns. If you happen to be
on an Interstate and get stopped, more often than not you will get a warning
ticket. Not long ago a bill was brought before the Texas legislature attempting
to eliminate the front plate, but the bill did not pass.

BsmithNP
10-08-2010, 03:40 PM
Although I can't say I've been pulled over for specifically not having a license plate on the front of any of my cars, I was pulled over for a moving violation and the officer added the lack of front plate to the ticket and required that it be fixed. I will say that meter maids can also write tickets for no front plate and I have had that happen once long long ago while parked in Los Angeles.

CarBrain
10-08-2010, 05:02 PM
Although I can't say I've been pulled over for specifically not having a license plate on the front of any of my cars, I was pulled over for a moving violation and the officer added the lack of front plate to the ticket and required that it be fixed. I will say that meter maids can also write tickets for no front plate and I have had that happen once long long ago while parked in Los Angeles.

I guess I should put the 2nd license plate in the trunk and if I park at the meter, I would just take it out and apply it to the front (using adhesive tape?).

joshbw
10-08-2010, 05:14 PM
I haven't had a front plate in 6 years, told my dealer if they drill it reorder it! In my state it's not a moving violation, so actually I have found that the few times I have been pulled over if the officer wants to be nice its a easy non-point get you on your way ticket :)

BsmithNP
10-08-2010, 05:19 PM
I guess I should put the 2nd license plate in the trunk and if I park at the meter, I would just take it out and apply it to the front (using adhesive tape?).

I would think a simple "throw it in the front window" would suffice. In 8 years of BMWs I've only had it ticketed while parking twice. Both were $25.00 and not fix its so I didn't have to put the plate on before I sent the ticket back.

TJPark01
10-08-2010, 08:10 PM
you're more likely to get a ticket while parked. If you get pulled over for speeding, I think it's a fix a ticket. As much as I hate the front plate, a ticket is worse. I attached the front plate with 3M adhesive tape, so I can take it off later if I choose.

1HOT BMR
10-08-2010, 10:05 PM
Some people install one of these:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5eFWMWNvEQ

I like the 3M doble sided tape solution. I've used heavy duty velcro but it doesn't last more than a year or so.

listerone
10-09-2010, 05:13 AM
In my neck of the woods the cops are just armed tax collectors.If you don't display both plates they'd be *very* happy to write you a $100 ticket and,when they saw you didn't have your seatbelt on,they'd be happy to add another $50 to that.Unless you *enjoy* paying taxes I'd display both plates...as senseless as it is to require them.

ERIK J
10-09-2010, 05:17 AM
Ive run german plates for the past 5 years on my convertible, no problems.

grizzles
10-09-2010, 06:34 AM
its also harder for the laser to shoot your car for speeding.

pujoe1
10-09-2010, 07:36 AM
After my second warning ticket here in Texas, I put on my front plate. My first warning came when I was stopped for speeding and the officer went to the front of the car to get the plate number. I really wasn't going very fast so he just gave me a warning. A few weeks later I was stopped by a highway patrol officer in a small rural town solely because he saw I didn't have a front plate. At that point, I decided the third time might be a charm and I'd get a ticket. Put on the plate the next day.

SARAFIL
10-09-2010, 07:44 AM
I've been quite lucky without a front plate despite legal requirements to have one.

I had my MZ4 for 2 years without a front plate. I got pulled over twice for speeding (that's another story :angel:) and both times they walked to the front of the car, saw that I had no plate, asked me "why?" and still did not give me a ticket for it. (and in case you're thinking they made up for it on the speeding ticket, nope... they reduced those to almost nothing also)

I've had my MINI for just about 2 years, also no front plate, and have never been stopped or had any problems.

joshbw
10-09-2010, 07:50 AM
My understanding here in NY (and I have been wrong before) is that it is not a moving violation therefore they can't stop you for it. However if they stop you for anything else obviously you can get a ticket for it. Maybe a bigger pain in the neck in other parts of the country but here in NY I am going on 6 years of never being stopped for not having a front license plate and the few times I have been its hardly come up.

Eirerogue
10-09-2010, 12:22 PM
Usually an add-on item if you're stopped. And without the plate, they could stop you at any time. I'll put mine on, no biggie.

enigma
10-09-2010, 12:26 PM
Robbing a bank... what is the chance that you will be caught?

I am sure this is a little more profitable than the other question.

S93D
10-09-2010, 03:34 PM
I'm looking out the window at work and a man just parked on the street in a 2 door Maserati GranTurismo (same color as picture, same no license plate in front). http://www.maserati.com/maserati/en/en/index/models/GranTurismo/exteriors.html There's no front license plate and no logical place to mount it. Where does it go? Or Maserati assumes that the driver will just keep paying tickets? http://www.autoweek.nl/images/800/6/3294a9d406c6b202cb25a96be7e0dde6.jpg

enigma
10-09-2010, 04:16 PM
I'm looking out the window at work and a man just parked on the street in a 2 door Maserati GranTurismo (same color as picture, same no license plate in front). http://www.maserati.com/maserati/en/en/index/models/GranTurismo/exteriors.html There's no front license plate and no logical place to mount it. Where does it go? Or Maserati assumes that the driver will just keep paying tickets?

Each manufacturer, by law, has to provide a front mounting bracket, for all cars sold in the state of California. The customer may refuse it, but the car manufacturer must have it available.

V C Section 11713.17 Front License Plate Bracket

Front License Plate Bracket

11713.17. (a) Following the retail sale or lease of a motor vehicle for which the department issues two license plates, a dealer may not deliver the motor vehicle unless either of the following occurs:
(1) The motor vehicle is equipped with a bracket or other means of securing a front license plate.
(2) The dealer obtains a signed written acknowledgment from the person taking delivery of the motor vehicle acknowledging both of the following:
(A) The person expressly refused installation of a bracket or other means of securing the front license plate.
(B) The person understands that California law requires a license plate to be displayed from and securely fastened to the front of the motor vehicle and that the hardware necessary to securely fasten the front plate is available from the dealer.
(b) A manufacturer or distributor may not sell or distribute in this state a new motor vehicle for which the department issues two license plates, unless that motor vehicle is equipped or provided with a bracket or other means of securing the license plates.

dominoaz
10-09-2010, 05:33 PM
I drove for over 35 years in CA, with 30 different cars, and at least ten police stops. Never got cited for lack of a front plate. Just lucky, I guess. Two days after I sold a 356 Porsche, the buyer called me asking for a front plate. Seems he got stopped for no front plate!

BTW, have you seen the front plate mount that uses the cars tow hook internal mounting threads? Novel idea with no additional holes in the bumper.

pharding
10-09-2010, 06:35 PM
I go without a front plate here in Chicago. I average one ticket per year at $50 each. It is worth it in my opinion.

Bob M. Wiggins
10-09-2010, 06:44 PM
I've been running mine W/O the FP for 2 years. The only problem I ever had was while have a little sushi. When I came out, there was a ticket on my windshield! The officer cruised through the lot and noticed (obviously because the car is so nice :thumbup:) that I didn't have the front plate. I had a factory bracket sitting around painted just in case I ever needed it, so before court I mounted the plate and devised a way to use a hardware store "L" bracket to mount it with two screws (under the bumper) so there arent' any wholes in the front face of the bumper. Problem solved. Showed them it was on and the ticket was only $20, no moving violation. Now I keep the rig in my trunk and if I get pulled over, I'll just plead "it just fell off..." We'll see!

enigma
10-09-2010, 09:35 PM
I go without a front plate here in Chicago. I average one ticket per year at $50 each. It is worth it in my opinion.

I don't know about Illinois, but in California, you could actually get a moving violation (i.e. non-correctable or non-fix-it) the second time the cop sites you a ticket for continuing to break the law after being told by a peace officer (California VC 24004).

I've been running mine W/O the FP for 2 years. The only problem I ever had was while have a little sushi. When I came out, there was a ticket on my windshield! The officer cruised through the lot and noticed (obviously because the car is so nice :thumbup:) that I didn't have the front plate. I had a factory bracket sitting around painted just in case I ever needed it, so before court I mounted the plate and devised a way to use a hardware store "L" bracket to mount it with two screws (under the bumper) so there arent' any wholes in the front face of the bumper. Problem solved. Showed them it was on and the ticket was only $20, no moving violation. Now I keep the rig in my trunk and if I get pulled over, I'll just plead "it just fell off..." We'll see!

And that would be lying to the peace officer or to the court, no? Covering a crime/misdemeanor with a lie is never a good idea.

Emilner
10-10-2010, 07:42 AM
NY has the same two plate law. The way I look at it- it is inviting trouble. The last thing I need is to be pulled over for a plate after having a glass or two of vino at dinner (I'm not saying you should ever drive drunk, but today they are really aggressive, I think DUI's start around a .04)...

skeet550i2011
10-29-2010, 11:29 AM
I live in Orange County, CA. 8 years , no problem without front plate. Took a drive into LA recently. Within 30 minutes of parking had a Beverly Hills ticket for no plate. LA is broke and looking for revenue. Maybe I'll tape it on when parking next time in LA.

kenhamm
10-29-2010, 12:16 PM
A ticket everytime, the last one on my 08 E60, was while i was parked, WTF. Ticket each time was a fixit but a $10 admin charge, so I just gave up and put the plate on the front. Doesnt seem to alter the performance of the car LOL.

kocsis
10-29-2010, 12:28 PM
There is an advantage to front plates. If someone backs into you when parallel parking (gently) or you hit a barrier when pulling into a space head first (as in a garage), the plate gets hit, not the bumper....:p

CarBrain
10-29-2010, 01:44 PM
So advantages:

1. If someone backs into you when parallel parking (gently) or you hit a barrier when pulling into a space head first (as in a garage), the plate gets hit, not the bumper

2. Avoid tickets/Avoid being pulled over

------

Disadvantages:

1. Make the car uglier

-----------------------------

Does anyone know how much it will cost to get a ticket for no front plate in California?

TJPark01
10-29-2010, 02:01 PM
I hate the plate, but I just washed the car and noticed a huge gash in the front plate. Even though I have a clear bra, I'm kinda glad the plate took the brunt of what ever hit the car.

kenhamm
10-29-2010, 02:20 PM
See my post above, if it is a fixit ticket in California, then there is a $10 administrative fee. It is mentioned on the ticket. That was about 2 years ago.

TJPark01
10-29-2010, 02:35 PM
See my post above, if it is a fixit ticket in California, then there is a $10 administrative fee. It is mentioned on the ticket. That was about 2 years ago.

It's a fix a ticket as a moving violation. However, in LA, it's also a $25 parking ticket which there is no limit to the amount of times you can be cited.

CarBrain
10-29-2010, 02:46 PM
I live in San Diego and I see a lot of cars in San Diego without front license plate. It is like 1 out of 10 cars that I see. Maybe San Diego is not as broke as in L.A.

CarBrain
10-29-2010, 02:55 PM
I hate the plate, but I just washed the car and noticed a huge gash in the front plate. Even though I have a clear bra, I'm kinda glad the plate took the brunt of what ever hit the car.

If you think of a glass half-full, you can always say that I will not put on the front plate so that it would make the front of the car more appealing and then when you do get a scratch in the front bumper, you can then put on the front plate to hide the scratch or dented area.

In other words, enjoy it while you can. :thumbup:

If the getting a ticket for not having the front plate and it costs $25 or less, wouldn't it be worth it to take the risk? I spend about $25 on Lotto tickets every 3 months so.....

I think that as long as it does not affect your driving record, then it may be worth it to take the risk. However, if it does affect your driving record and may cause you to go to traffic school or increase your car insurance, then it is definitely not worth it.

TJPark01
10-29-2010, 07:04 PM
I was very adamant about the dealership not drilling holes into the front bumper. I have Venturesheild Clear bra on bumper. I used 3M double sided mounting tape. Although I really hate the front plate. I don't want $25 parking tickets or to get sweated my the man. The best thing is that it's totally reversible and the plate sits flush on the bumper without the bracket. Although the plate really bothered me at first, I've learn to live with it. It's like Marilyn Monroe and that mole or beauty mark, I don't even notice it any more...

http://i824.photobucket.com/albums/zz164/gatoman39/TInt%20F10/IMG_0837.jpg
http://i824.photobucket.com/albums/zz164/gatoman39/TInt%20F10/IMG_0836.jpg

1HOT BMR
10-29-2010, 07:28 PM
The photos show the plate flush with the bumper yet the bumper has a slight curvature to it. How did you get it to sit so flush? Is the double sided 3M tape directly attached to the back of the license plate or do you have some kind of rubber/plastic buffer behind it? Great job! I've been going back and forth but now I'm thinking I will install a plate in front - your solution looks good. I will have the M-Sport bumper and I wonder if the curvature of the bumper is the same.

bfv
10-29-2010, 07:49 PM
In NYC, the front plate will protect your front bumper when someone will try to park a car in front of your car:rofl: Sounds crazy but they judge the distance by banging on to the car behind them :dunno:

TJPark01
10-29-2010, 08:10 PM
The photos show the plate flush with the bumper yet the bumper has a slight curvature to it. How did you get it to sit so flush? Is the double sided 3M tape directly attached to the back of the license plate or do you have some kind of rubber/plastic buffer behind it? Great job! I've been going back and forth but now I'm thinking I will install a plate in front - your solution looks good. I will have the M-Sport bumper and I wonder if the curvature of the bumper is the same.

Now that you mention it, I did have to bend the plate a bit. It wasn't like metal fabrication or anything. The plate is made from aluminum (guess?) or some other thin light weight metal, and very malleable. It's the plate straight on, no backing. I tried the plate with the bracket (horrible), as the bracket is enormous and black. Then I tried it with plate only and it looked naked. So I went with the frame to match the kidney grills. It helps that the plate is white the car is white for symmetry.
I thought of a lot of different methods, and this seemed the least worst. The retractable mechanical plate with remote seemed interesting. But I'm not the type to remember to engage the thing when I park it, so it defeats the whole purpose. And I'm too old and grizzled to be a rebel and roll with no plate. I'm getting soft in my advanced age.

jpzeller
10-30-2010, 04:49 AM
I've had only a couple of $25 tickets (Illinois) in several years; worth it, IMO.

TJPark01
10-30-2010, 08:51 AM
I've had only a couple of $25 tickets (Illinois) in several years; worth it, IMO.

Also depends where you go. If you're going to the mall or Target, Costco, you're not gonna get a ticket. Also, a cop is unlikely to pull you over simply because of the missing plate. But if you street/meter park in dense urban areas, this is where you can get screwed.

CarBrain
10-30-2010, 09:34 AM
Also depends where you go. If you're going to the mall or Target, Costco, you're not gonna get a ticket. Also, a cop is unlikely to pull you over simply because of the missing plate. But if you street/meter park in dense urban areas, this is where you can get screwed.

That is why you have to put the 2nd plate in the truck and tape it to the front bumper when you park or drive at an area where you know that you will more likely be ticketed...like in L.A. :)

TJPark01
10-30-2010, 09:48 AM
That is why you have to put the 2nd plate in the truck and tape it to the front bumper when you park or drive at an area where you know that you will more likely be ticketed...like in L.A. :)

I thought about this option as well. But the odds of me remembering to do this every time I park isn't very good. Here are my perceived options:

1. Screw black factory bracket with plate.
2. Retractable mechanized remote control plate
3. Tow hitch plate holder
4. Color matched velco (take plate off and on, for parking.)
5. No plate
6. Double sided 3M tape
7. plate in windshield/dash
8. Ride a bike to work and pretend I'm in Holland.

djfitter
10-30-2010, 09:53 AM
I thought about this option as well. But the odds of me remembering to do this every time I park isn't very good. Here are my perceived options:

1. Screw black factory bracket with plate.
2. Retractable mechanized remote control plate
3. Tow hitch plate holder
4. Color matched velco (take plate off and on, for parking.)
5. No plate
6. Double sided 3M tape
7. plate in windshield/dash
8. Ride a bike to work and pretend I'm in Holland.

I did #4. It stays in the trunk until I need it, so I guess I also do #5. :)

dj

chrischeung
10-30-2010, 10:18 AM
The risk of any cost more than $100 is zero. Why sweat $100?

bklyn550
10-31-2010, 03:27 PM
nyc you have a 1000000000000000000000000000% chance of getting a ticket for anything and everything

jeffmatt
10-31-2010, 05:14 PM
I have not had a front plate on my 528 since I bought it (2 years ago) and have not ever had a ticket for no front license plate. I have even had other cars with no front license plate. I think it all depends on were you live. San Diego police do not appear to be concern about front license plates.

I would consider putting it back on so that I do not have to worry about it when I travel to LA, but I have not seen a bracket that I would be willing to use. If anybody knows of a desirable premium bracket, please mention it on this thread.

Good luck with your decision, but I think the cars look much better without front plates. My car had the plate already installed when I bought it, but I took it off and covered the holes with bumper plugs. Looks fine.

Jeff

eyesight1
10-31-2010, 05:33 PM
I live in NY and my experience with my Corvette is that tickets for no front plate are given out a lot. While the police may not notice it all the time if they do they will stop you for it and write you up. I have heard that if you are stopped for something else they will gladly add to your fine. NY after all is out of money and any way they can get more is used at will. I have a front plate on my Vette and will also have it on my 535 Xi when it arrives.

TJPark01
10-31-2010, 06:35 PM
nyc you have a 1000000000000000000000000000% chance of getting a ticket for anything and everything

Same here in LA. It's not simply the monetary effect, it's the feeling like you're getting pick-pocketed.

CliffJumper
11-03-2010, 05:53 PM
I live in LA, and have received 8 no-front license plate tickets since I moved here 3 years ago. It's greatly dependent on where you park your car. I've never been stopped for my license plate (though they did stop me to check my tint, which was legal). If you park in a garage at home and park in a garage at work or shopping malls, you're perfectly fine and you'll never get a ticket.

There was a period when I received them frequently and these locations were:
- in front of my West LA apt at the time, whenever I got a ticket for forgetting to move my car for street cleaning
- At the UCLA parking lots, when I was taking night classes for grad school
- At LAX on-airport parking lots

At both UCLA and LAX, these dudes will walk around to the front of the car, even if you're facing a wall, and check for your plates. Really ridiculous.

But now, I park in my condo garage and I always park at a private lot just outside of LAX and haven't had any problems lately. You also don't have problems if you live in nice suburban neighborhoods (like my parents or in-laws) with no street cleaning.

TJPark01
11-03-2010, 06:01 PM
I live in LA, and have received 8 no-front license plate tickets since I moved here 3 years ago.
The west side is notorious for this. In Santa Monica, you may as well walk around with your checkbook. They will cite you for farting.

Hectorml07
11-03-2010, 06:21 PM
IVE BEEN PULLED OVER TWICE AND THE FIRST TIME I JUST GOT A WARNING FROM THE COP....THE NEXT ONE WAS A $25 FIX TICKET...SO I JUST DECIDED TO PUT THE PLATE ON MY CAR...I DIDNT WANT TO DRILL HOLLS ON THE FACE OF MY NEW M BUMPER.....SO I BOUGHT A PLATE HOLDER AT AUTOZONE FOR A COUPLE OF BUCKS AND LOOKS GOOD.....MINE LOOKS EXACTLY LIKE THIS http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/sale-wanted/154007-front-license-plate-bracket-e39-m5.html.....HOPES THIS HELPS SOME THINKING ABOUT IT...

Hectorml07
11-03-2010, 06:26 PM
SORRY THIS IS THE LINK

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/sale-wanted/154007-front-license-plate-bracket-e39-m5.html

:)

rudegar
11-04-2010, 04:33 PM

Now that Prop 19 has failed in California, local law enforcement will continue to be occupied with the #1 menace: the war on wacky weed. Therefore, I predict there will be insufficient resources to enforce the front license plate law. :rofl:

Hectorml07
11-04-2010, 06:56 PM
hahaha :rofl:

dalekressin
11-04-2010, 06:59 PM
In Wisconsin you will get a ticket/fine and no warning if no front lic plate.

Eirerogue
11-04-2010, 08:44 PM
Live in SoCal, everyone has a story. Got 2 tickets for no FP on my 356 and gave up. FP on my new 535i. I'm in "why invite trouble" mode.

jwrtiger
11-04-2010, 08:48 PM
Live in SoCal, everyone has a story. Got 2 tickets for no FP on my 356 and gave up. FP on my new 535i. I'm in "why invite trouble" mode.

Yea, I feel the same way and I went down to my dealer today and had them install the front license plate bracket.

enigma
11-04-2010, 10:54 PM
Now that Prop 19 has failed in California, local law enforcement will continue to be occupied with the #1 menace: the war on wacky weed. Therefore, I predict there will be insufficient resources to enforce the front license plate law. :rofl:

You'd be so wrong. They don't need cops for the no front plate tickets. Meter maids are giving out parking tickets along with no front plate ones.

California is broke and can use every extra $ each meter maid brings in.

dtm888
11-14-2010, 07:45 AM
Ive run german plates for the past 5 years on my convertible, no problems.

Hey, do you have any pics of your german plates? I've been driving with no FP since I bought the car. (knock on wood) but haven't had any problems so far. But I think I would consider putting on german plates for the front. :D

Houseofpang
11-29-2010, 09:32 PM
Had too many tickets in LA with my lowered E46, and each time they get me for the tinted windows also. Dealer didnt install front plates on my new F10, I debated for a while but finally ask them to put it on.. makes it uglier but dont want to give cops an invite to stop me and hound me on my 60% tinted front windows.