PDA

View Full Version : Fitted Luggage Compartment Mat vs Multifunctional Fitted Mat

MTech8
10-09-2010, 08:00 AM
I was wondering if anyone bought these and would have any real life pictures or comments to make about them.

From the pictures, the Fitted Luggage Compartment Mat looks kinda funny.

I like the looks of the Multifunction Fitted Luggage Compartment Mat (with optional Collapsible Box) a lot better, but am not sure where the "sill protector" goes when not in use. Is it rolled up and out of sight?

Thanks for any comments.

pharding
10-09-2010, 11:02 AM
It looks like it will fold under the mat. Germans think of everything in product design. There will be a nice place for it. I am going to buy one.

MTech8
10-09-2010, 11:40 AM
Hope so. That would make this mat AWESOME.

Can't agree with you that the German's think of everythign in product design. Been disappointed quite a few times. But they do a damn good job though. Not complaining.

1HOT BMR
10-09-2010, 01:46 PM
I was wondering if anyone bought these and would have any real life pictures or comments to make about them.

From the pictures, the Fitted Luggage Compartment Mat looks kinda funny.

I like the looks of the Multifunction Fitted Luggage Compartment Mat (with optional Collapsible Box) a lot better, but am not sure where the "sill protector" goes when not in use. Is it rolled up and out of sight?

Thanks for any comments.

Where did you find those? I'd like to buy it.

pmw103
10-09-2010, 01:57 PM
@1HOT BMR
http://accessories.bmwusa.com/ProductList.aspx?modelId=614&categoryId=42&productCategoryId=&menuId=2&subItemId=0

http://accessories.bmwusa.com/ItemView.aspx?modelId=614&categoryId=42&productCategoryId=&menuId=2&subItemId=0&productId=2941

jwrtiger
10-10-2010, 10:32 AM
I have the multifunction mat and the sill protector is under the mat. One end of the protector is permanently attached to the mat near the opening to the trunk the other end is held in place with two Velcro patches so it lays flat with the bottom of the mat. When you deploy it, it is a bit of a pain because the mat needs to be lifted up, almost completely. I guess you could roll it up on the top of the mat. It obviously fits very well and the big feature for me is that it has a lip to prevent most spills. I had a similar mat in my Acrua MDX and one pickle jar leaked all over the mat and I was very happy to have the protection. Also a wine bottle broke in the trunk and again I was glad to have the mat, (sorry I do not wish to explain how the wine bottle broke). So when I got my new F10 that mat was a must! The mat and the fold –up box have corresponding bumps that really keep the box where you place it on the mat. I have put a couple of small bags in the box and when I get home after spirited driving the box is still in the same place. One bad thing is the Velcro of the box was glued/sticky-taped to the sides and after a week or two in the hot trunk they have all come off the sides. I think I will give up the fold-up feature and just rivet or use nuts and bolts to permanently hold the sides together. Overall I am happy with the purchase.

MTech8
10-10-2010, 10:37 AM
@jwrtiger.

Thanks for the feedback. That is exactly the info I was looking for. As long as the sill protector can be completely hidden then this is definitely the mat for me. It looks much more stylish than the other one I listed, plus I like the cargo box integration.

jwrtiger
10-10-2010, 04:29 PM
@jwrtiger.

Thanks for the feedback. That is exactly the info I was looking for. As long as the sill protector can be completely hidden then this is definitely the mat for me. It looks much more stylish than the other one I listed, plus I like the cargo box integration.

I just took the time to read the description you posted and I do not have a strap to hold bottles in the cargo box as the description indicates. For me that is no big deal. Yup you will not see any indication of the sill protector when stowed under the mat. Good luck with you purchase.

schraderade
07-07-2011, 10:11 AM
I bought the multifunction mat and really like it.
A couple things for the record:

1. The mat comes with raised dimples (see the attachment). The box comes with inverted dimples which sit atop the raised dimples and that basically prevents the box from moving around the trunk when you drive. The system works pretty well, and actually enables you to place the box anywhere in the trunk. I've attached a photo with the box placed in the front corner for easy access.

2. The mat has no smell and the rubber does the "non-slip" job quite well. The fit with the compartment is very good.

3. I've attached a picture of the velcro straps on the side of the box, for folks who are curious about how the box folds up.

Springfield BMW
07-07-2011, 11:55 AM
http://www.circlebmwparts.com/cgi-bin/acc/f10acc.cgi?db=f10acc&uid=&code=115&series=f10&view_records=View+Records&nh=7&mh=1

A little cheaper here.:)

Springfield BMW
07-07-2011, 12:12 PM
http://www.circlebmwparts.com/cgi-bin/acc/f10acc.cgi?db=f10acc&uid=&code=115&series=f10&view_records=View+Records&nh=7&mh=1

A little cheaper here.:)

$111.16, free ship and no tax.:D

judyg951
07-07-2011, 04:36 PM

I just ordered one. I have been meaning to order and this gave me the incentive to do it.

Thanks!

ssj
07-07-2011, 04:41 PM
I have the multifunction mat/box for liquids etc. The velcro strips do not hold well. Any suggestions for modification to the little box/bin to make the box hold up following assembly?

jwrtiger
07-07-2011, 05:00 PM
I was the guy rear-ended a couple of weeks ago and my box is at the body shop so no pictures. May go over tomorrow and get a couple and also take one of the box. Yea my Velcro strips with the sticky back started letting go almost right away. I bought large metal screws and large washers (both for inside and out) and capped nuts. I used a variable speed drill and slowly drilled one hole in each corner and bolted them together; they are not coming out now! I had flat screw heads on the outside and I used the capped nuts on the inside so they would not damage the contents***8230;... at least I hope. Been using the box for six or seven months with no problems until I go rear-ended,

ssj
07-07-2011, 05:57 PM
I was the guy rear-ended a couple of weeks ago and my box is at the body shop so no pictures. May go over tomorrow and get a couple and also take one of the box. Yea my Velcro strips with the sticky back started letting go almost right away. I bought large metal screws and large washers (both for inside and out) and capped nuts. I used a variable speed drill and slowly drilled one hole in each corner and bolted them together; they are not coming out now! I had flat screw heads on the outside and I used the capped nuts on the inside so they would not damage the contents….... at least I hope. Been using the box for six or seven months with no problems until I go rear-ended,

Sounds robust, but unfortunately not reversible to flatten easily when not in use?

jwrtiger
07-08-2011, 09:10 AM
Sounds robust, but unfortunately not reversible to flatten easily when not in use?

Good point, I just leave mine always assembled. I know at our hardware store they have relatively large metal snaps and a fastening tool. Maybe that might be a good way to go and still allow it to be folded when not in use.

Springfield BMW
07-15-2011, 02:34 PM

Hold on from ordering. I just rec'd my order and the box has three sides that have been ripped by someone who obviously did not know how to assemble them. I have emailed CircleBmw about the problem and will report back their response. This item was obviously a return item that someone messed up and Circle sold it to me. Very disappointed but have been happy with order from them before.:thumbdwn:

judyg951
07-15-2011, 02:41 PM
I'm a bit confused as I was promised free shipping and yet got this email when I asked for an update.

The trunk mat is on order, and should ship out to you on Thursday. Shipping
via UPS Ground to Riverside is about $20.00 - this is an oversize package.
You will be notified by email once the order has shipped with the tracking
information.

I think a call is in order.

Springfield BMW
07-15-2011, 03:04 PM
I'm a bit confused as I was promised free shipping and yet got this email when I asked for an update.

The trunk mat is on order, and should ship out to you on Thursday. Shipping
via UPS Ground to Riverside is about $20.00 - this is an oversize package.
You will be notified by email once the order has shipped with the tracking
information.

I think a call is in order.

Sorry about that but the price plus shipping still comes in under most prices quotes. CircleBMW have always been upfront with me but I am very concerned that they sold me a returned item.:dunno: They had to know that the box was damaged and after looking at it, it is really very goofy.

judyg951
07-15-2011, 03:49 PM
I sent them an email and will comment once I get a response.

judyg951
07-16-2011, 08:10 AM
Here is the response:
Judy,

I'm sorry for the confusion. I have no idea about any free shipping through
Bimmerfest. I know that we do not normally offer free shipping - our
shipping charges basically reflect the shipping costs via UPS or FedEx. As
I had previously written you, the shipping charge would be $20.00.

I will ask my parts manager on Monday to look into this, and if we do indeed
have any "free shipping" offer on Bimmerfest I will contact you immediately
and issue a credit

I don't think I am getting free shipping after all, oh well. It was just a misunderstanding. The shipping charge is less than the local tax so I am still ahead.

Springfield BMW
07-16-2011, 10:32 AM
Emailed Circle BMW last night and rec'd a prompt email reply and telephone call from Chris in their parts department this morning. He was apologetic, professional and courteous. He is shipping me a new box to replace the damaged box via UPS Monday and prepaid return to send the other box back. Am very happy with the response and will report back when completed. The box itself, while the flaps are torn also appears to be well worn. Must have been swapped somewhere along the line by someone who wanted a new one. Looking at the hinges on the box it appears that it might not hold up to constant reassembly so probably will put it together and leave it that way. Again, just wanted to report back that Circle BMW is promptly correcting the issue.:thumbup::)

Springfield BMW
07-16-2011, 10:39 AM
$111.16, free ship and no tax.:D I went back to the Circle BMW ordering site/process to see where I had come to the conclusion that it was free shipping. When processing the order, through checkout and payment, it reflects that there is no charge for shipping. I posted that info before actually going through with the complete purchase. When I went back and made the purchase I too rec'd and email from Circle re the shipping, could have told them to forget it, but concluded that the price was right and with no tax was still a better deal than elsewhere.

Springfield BMW
07-22-2011, 01:22 PM
To follow up: Circle BMW sent me a new collapsible box to replace the damaged one and also included free UPS on the return. I've bought from Circle BMW before and would buy from them again as they responded to my issue promptly and professionally. I assembled the box and put it in the trunk and do not intend on disassembling it very often, or never. It's the wife's car so groceries, bottles, etc., are in the trunk, weekly. I do not think the hinges on this item would hold up to very much flexing. That has nothing to do with Circle BMW, but BMW might consider offering a box that has no hinges, in other words, just a box. BMW may offer just a box but haven't checked.:)

jwrtiger
07-22-2011, 02:32 PM
If this is the box with the Velcro strips I left mine also setup. The adhesive on the back of the Velcro deteriorated after about a month and would no longer hold the box together. I ended up bolting mine together, hope yours works out better.

Springfield BMW
07-22-2011, 02:41 PM
I can see where that would happen with the extreme temps in the trunk if left out in the sun. I'll keep my eyes on it. The assembly thing, the velcro etc., was a little strange on this. Why not just a box?

Springfield BMW
07-22-2011, 02:58 PM
If this is the box with the Velcro strips I left mine also setup. The adhesive on the back of the Velcro deteriorated after about a month and would no longer hold the box together. I ended up bolting mine together, hope yours works out better.

I'll probably do the same as I think that the velcro strips are suspect. I'll use pop rivets to hold it together but you should quickly patent your solution so BMW will have to compensate you to use it. Seriously, do it. And Quickly. :thumbup:

judyg951
07-22-2011, 04:18 PM
The mat fits well, but I also think the box is pretty cheaply made. I have never seen a box put together with velcro before.

schraderade
07-23-2011, 08:27 AM
I bought my mat and box about 3 weeks ago. My box has already fallen apart. I need to go look for the receipt to get a replacement. It is very, very shoddily made although the dimple design is clever.
FAIL.

Stealth.Pilot
07-23-2011, 08:48 AM
It's odd. The Lexus collapsible storage box also uses velcro but I have had it for over 2 years and its still working perfectly.

judyg951
07-23-2011, 08:49 AM
I bought my mat and box about 3 weeks ago. My box has already fallen apart. I need to go look for the receipt to get a replacement. It is very, very shoddily made although the dimple design is clever.
FAIL.

I guess I had better find and file the receipt then.

planet
07-23-2011, 09:22 AM
Does the box matter that much? It seems like the mat is the important part. How is _that_ holding up?

judyg951
07-23-2011, 10:51 AM
The mat is fine. The box is already not staying together. Nice work BMW!! I have not even put anything in it yet!

schraderade
07-23-2011, 11:25 AM
Agreed. My mat is awesome. The box design is a fail. I live in San Francisco which never gets hot in the summer so it's not an extreme heat issue. The Velcro and glue construction is just an epic design fail.
BMW does read these forums so I hope they pay attention.

Springfield BMW
07-23-2011, 04:39 PM
With our temps here, of late, will be interesting to see if the box holds up. :tsk:

jwrtiger
07-24-2011, 08:39 AM
Does the box matter that much? It seems like the mat is the important part. How is _that_ holding up?

Even though mine fell apart and I ended up bolting it together I really like it. With the non-skid surface I can drop items into it and it doesn't move while driving from place to place. I don't find it a problem that it is always setup and if we are on a trip and I need the extra room I just leave it at home.

planet
07-24-2011, 08:43 AM
Even though mine fell apart and I ended up bolting it together I really like it. With the non-skid surface I can drop items into it and it doesn't move while driving from place to place. I don't find it a problem that it is always setup and if we are on a trip and I need the extra room I just leave it at home.

Just to be clear: you leave the box at home, or the mat? I don't see the mat taking up that much space, but since you quoted me and I was specifically asking about the mat (don't give two hoots about the box), I'm confused a little by your response.

jwrtiger
07-24-2011, 04:58 PM
I leave the mat in the car all the time. The box is also left in the car most of the time unless I need the space the box takes up. I sometimes carry some video equipment for different shoots and I got the F10 with the fold down back seat option. When I have those items in the trunk the box stays at home. Hope that clarifies and sorry for any confusion.

scottw5765
03-06-2012, 09:35 AM
Where is the carpet mat for this car? Surprised I don't see that option. thanks

Scott

2012 BMW 550i
Nappa Leather
Cold Weather Package
Convenience Package
M Sport Package
Premium Sound Package
Sport Automatic Transmission with shift paddles
Power rear sunshade with rear manual side window shades
BMW Apps
BMW iPhone media snap in adpater
Exterior: Jet Black
Interior: Black Nappa Leather
Interior Trim: Anthracite Wood Trim

Ausfahrt
03-06-2012, 09:54 AM
I bought the multifunction mat and really like it.
A couple things for the record:

1. The mat comes with raised dimples (see the attachment). The box comes with inverted dimples which sit atop the raised dimples and that basically prevents the box from moving around the trunk when you drive. The system works pretty well, and actually enables you to place the box anywhere in the trunk. I've attached a photo with the box placed in the front corner for easy access.

2. The mat has no smell and the rubber does the "non-slip" job quite well. The fit with the compartment is very good.

3. I've attached a picture of the velcro straps on the side of the box, for folks who are curious about how the box folds up.

I bought the same thing and I've put my detail spray bottles and other bottles in the box and the box did not move.

Skyrider01
03-06-2012, 07:19 PM
[QUOTE=scottw5765;6681861]Where is the carpet mat for this car? Surprised I don't see that option. thanks

I have a custom made one for sale in the classifieds:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=578677&highlight=f10