PDA

View Full Version : Streaking film on inside windshield

markl53
10-09-2010, 09:40 AM
Anyone else having issues with trying to clean the interior surface of their F10 windshield? I've used Windex on 3 occasions when washing the car and there are still streaks like there is some type of grease or wax on the surface. Any ideas how to break through this film and remove it? I also tried crumpled newspaper (with Windex) which is known to work very well on dirty glass.

nosnoop
10-09-2010, 10:02 AM
I find microfibre cloth works well in removing the residual streak.

I never had luck using old newspaper on the windshield.

markl53
10-09-2010, 12:38 PM
I find microfibre cloth works well in removing the residual streak.

I never had luck using old newspaper on the windshield.

+1! Thanks -- I had forgotten my wife had bought a "as seen on TV" Glass Wizard handle thing with a microfiber pad. It seems to have cleared it up. BTW, I used to have a wall of glass mirrors and newspaper was the fastest way to clean it.

laser
10-09-2010, 01:28 PM
I've had my new 535i for 2 days.

It doesn't pull to the right. The steering feels responsive. The ride is just firm enough. Corners well, with sport package no other electronics. Lots of acceleration from the turbo 6 cyl. The HPFP is still working.

But the inside of the windshield has a film particularly early morning / late afternoon low sun angles! Windex moves it around and maybe adds to it.

Remembered an old rec for cleaning house windows:

2 cups of water
1/4 cup white vinegar
1 drop of dishwashing liquid soap
mix in the old Windex bottle (pour the Windex down the drain / rinse out the bottle)
cheap Wal-mart blue paper shop towels

This works for me ........... now about that brake dust starting to accumulate on the wheels!!!

1HOT BMR
10-09-2010, 01:53 PM
Anyone else having issues with trying to clean the interior surface of their F10 windshield? I've used Windex on 3 occasions when washing the car and there are still streaks like there is some type of grease or wax on the surface. Any ideas how to break through this film and remove it? I also tried crumpled newspaper (with Windex) which is known to work very well on dirty glass.

1 part denatured alcohol (available at your friendly hardware store)
4 parts water

Use microfiber towels or paper towels, they both work great. I've used this formula for years on all my cars and I consider it the best. :thumbup:

markl53
10-09-2010, 01:54 PM
I've had my new 535i for 2 days.

It doesn't pull to the right. The steering feels responsive. The ride is just firm enough. Corners well, with sport package no other electronics. Lots of acceleration from the turbo 6 cyl. The HPFP is still working.

My sentiments exactly - and don't "even" have sport pkg. IMO, most of the negative reports are overblown.

But the inside of the windshield has a film particularly early morning / late afternoon low sun angles! Windex moves it around and maybe adds to it.

Remembered an old rec for cleaning house windows:

2 cups of water
1/4 cup white vinegar
1 drop of dishwashing liquid soap
mix in the old Windex bottle (pour the Windex down the drain / rinse out the bottle)
cheap Wal-mart blue paper shop towels

This works for me ........... now about that brake dust starting to accumulate on the wheels!!!

Well after driving around again and pointing toward the sun, the microfiber thing didn't exactly get rid of the film. I'm going to try the vinegar/soap thing -- thanks.